Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Former Boxing Champ Jeff Lacy Confirms Interest in Fighting Nick Diaz

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Over the last week, Nick Diaz has spoken extensively about the possibility of a big boxing payday. First, he called out two-time light-middleweight champ Fernando Vargas, but that fight seems unlikely to happen due to Vargas' medical issues.

Diaz's camp then called out former super middleweight champ Jeff Lacy. According to Lacy's team, it's a fight he's more than willing to take. On Monday, Lacy's management group confirmed his interest in facing the Strikeforce welterweight champ in a boxing match.

"Nick has accomplished a great deal in mixed martial arts and is certainly one of the best in the sport," Lacy said in a statement. "But getting in the ring with me for a boxing match is a path he needs to be very wary of taking. I'm willing to put it all on the line anytime, anywhere."

The 33-year-old Lacy would certainly be a credible opponent. He has a career mark of 25-4 with 1 no contest, competed for the U.S. during the 2000 Olympics, and has fought major names including Roy Jones, Jr., Jermain Taylor and Joe Calzaghe during his 10-year pro run. Seventeen of his wins have come by way of knockout. Lacy, though, has lost two straight fights, including an upset loss to unheralded Dhafir Smith in his last bout, just last December.

Though Diaz is best known for his handiwork in MMA cages with a career mark of 25-7, 1 no contest, he has boxed once professionally, winning his only match by unanimous decision back in April 2005. Despite winning 10 in a row, Diaz has voiced growing frustration about his MMA career.

During a recent interview on "Inside MMA," Diaz and his team voiced both that frustration along with a continued interest in boxing

"I don't know," Diaz said. "I don't see much of a future in this sport for me, I honestly don't. Especially if there's not a whole s---load of money going on."

Lacy's manager Joey Gilbert -- himself a pro boxer -- was very complimentary of Diaz's skills, saying "his comfort level in the pocket and under fire is comparable to any seasoned boxing champion's" and adding that he believes Diaz has the best hands in MMA.

That said, Lacy's team has no doubt Diaz is in over his head if he does take the plunge against a high-caliber opponent.

"For the right price, I'm more than interested in heading to his turf and putting my fist in his mouth and silencing him," Lacy said.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Miss Foxy

Let's do this Diaz!!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Not a fan of this.

If Nick wants to box he should do it right and fight a legit up and comer instead of a dinosaur.

From a sideshow standpoint, I will watch it, but in terms of the sport I think its ridiculous
Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Not a fan of this.

If Nick wants to box he should do it right and fight a legit up and comer instead of a dinosaur.

From a sideshow standpoint, I will watch it, but in terms of the sport I think its ridiculous
++
Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I think Nick is a tough fighter and I don't mind the idea of him trying his hand at pro-boxing but it still comes off as a one off or a side-show for him to go directly after a bigger name opponent. No different than James Toney coming in and getting to fight Randy Couture with zero MMA experience, or Anderson Silva calling out Roy Jones with only a few pro-boxing matches.

The part about this whole thing that cracks me up the most was the suggestion that they were trying to get a fight with Sergio Martinez.

Sorry, I like Nick Diaz and all, but Martinez would likely brutalize him and no commission would ever sanction such a match in good conscience.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I think Nick is a tough fighter and I don't mind the idea of him trying his hand at pro-boxing but it still comes off as a one off or a side-show for him to go directly after a bigger name opponent. No different than James Toney coming in and getting to fight Randy Couture with zero MMA experience, or Anderson Silva calling out Roy Jones with only a few pro-boxing matches.

The part about this whole thing that cracks me up the most was the suggestion that they were trying to get a fight with Sergio Martinez.

Sorry, I like Nick Diaz and all, but Martinez would likely brutalize him and no commission would ever sanction such a match in good conscience.

Are you serious J.B ????? What was Nick thinking

Sergio would Kill this kid!!

Why would the 3rd pound for pound boxing Champion of the World want to fight a welterweight from a 2nd tier promotion.

It almost sounds like hes on drugs....
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post

It almost sounds like hes on drugs....
Spoiler alert...lol
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Spoiler alert...lol
LMFAO!!!!