Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 PM

I've raised my kids to help people when they see someone needs help. I know it's not saving a life, or anything like that, but this little story made me very proud.

We were all eating dinner in a restaurant one night. We were about to leave, and all the kids that were there were taking the balloons that were tied to their booths, etc. Well we walked out behind another couple that had a three year old boy with them. The wind gusted and the little boy lost his balloon. He was really upset, started crying. Both my girls gave them their balloons and told him not to be upset.

A few days ago my wife and I were talking about some bills that were going to be past due because I had to leave work for a few weeks due to a torn muscle in my leg. Apparently one of my daughters over heard us talking in the bedroom and she went and got her fifty dollars she got from her recent birthday and said she wanted to give it to us to help the family.

My son, 14, has taken on 20hrs of volunteer work for the Parks and Rec department where we live. They do charity work for shelters, kitchens, etc. He did this on his own, citing that he wanted to be able to give back for all that he's been given.

If you instill these values in your children, they will carry it through life. Much like I suspect Mr. Jones has been taught the value of helping others.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:53 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I've raised my kids to help people when they see someone needs help. I know it's not saving a life, or anything like that, but this little story made me very proud.

We were all eating dinner in a restaurant one night. We were about to leave, and all the kids that were there were taking the balloons that were tied to their booths, etc. Well we walked out behind another couple that had a three year old boy with them. The wind gusted and the little boy lost his balloon. He was really upset, started crying. Both my girls gave them their balloons and told him not to be upset.

A few days ago my wife and I were talking about some bills that were going to be past due because I had to leave work for a few weeks due to a torn muscle in my leg. Apparently one of my daughters over heard us talking in the bedroom and she went and got her fifty dollars she got from her recent birthday and said she wanted to give it to us to help the family.

My son, 14, has taken on 20hrs of volunteer work for the Parks and Rec department where we live. They do charity work for shelters, kitchens, etc. He did this on his own, citing that he wanted to be able to give back for all that he's been given.

If you instill these values in your children, they will carry it through life. Much like I suspect Mr. Jones has been taught the value of helping others.
good storys....you should be proud not only of your children...but yourselves as well !
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I've raised my kids to help people when they see someone needs help. I know it's not saving a life, or anything like that, .
it doesnt need to be, Philanthropy should be considered a virtue however small, and in the old testament Charitable Giving was law.

Jesus has spoken that if anyone does anything to help anyone else, then he will count it as if they have helpped him out, and those works are what store up treasure and reward in heaven

At heart, its about intrinsic value, and the Golden Rule...if Everyone is made in the image of GOD, everyone has value because of that, and that should influence how you treat them, hopefully leading to te Golden Rule, that you should treat others how you would hope they treated you.

if you are in need, you want help...so when you see someone in need, you should try and help. it doesnt have to be life saving, sometimes its just small..but GOD will elivate those who help, so they may help more, and more often.

and YES...its the parents who should help install these values, that IMHO is what would make good parents
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I wish there could be a news show that is just dedicated to good news, inspiring news. Ya know?

~Amy
theres money in that