Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default I really like this idea!!!

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/3/31/20...overtime-round

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White would 'definitely' explore an overtime round

Quote:
"I hate draws. I think it's such a waste of everybody's time and energy. (An overtime round is) something that I would definitely explore."
-- Oh, those pesky decisions. After two high profile fights this year, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard and B.J. Penn vs. Jon Fitch, ended in controversial, and highly unsatisfying, draws, fans have been left wanting. After all, there has to be a better way to decide a clear winner in bouts that have a championship on the line or are booked to determine the number one contender. So, in typical UFC fashion, the man himself, Dana White, fielded a question about this very matter on the web series "The Aftermath" and made the comment above: that he's not at all opposed to an overtime round if that's what is necessarily to do away with draws once and for all. But is there any way this actually has a chance at being implemented? Would commissions honestly allow a five-round war to go to a sixth sudden death style round, just for the sake of clarity? It's not like promotions don't have the option of setting up a rematch, this being exactly what they did in the case of both Edgar vs. Maynard and Penn vs. Fitch. So which do you prefer, Maniacs? Sudden death or another three rounds at a later date?