Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-31-2011, 05:44 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default Innocent baby dies cause of stupid Vegan Parents!

Two strict vegans have gone on trial in France charged with "neglect or food deprivation" after the death of their breastfed 11-month-old daughter who was found to be suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou called an ambulance to their home in the village of Saint-Maulvis 90 miles north of Paris in March 2008 after their daughter Louise became listless. By the time paramedics arrived, the baby had died.

The police were alerted after the ambulance crew noticed the baby was pale and thin and a doctor refused to issue a death certificate. A postmortem showed the child, who had been fed only on her 37-year-old mother's milk, weighed 5.7kg when she should have been about 8kg.

She was also suffering from deficiency of vitamins A and B12, which may have left her susceptible to infection. She died of a pneumonia-related illness.

Medical experts told the court in Amiens that the vitamin deficiency could have been caused by an unbalanced diet. While anxious not to call into question the couple's lifestyle, Anne-Laure Sandretto, the deputy prosecutor, admitted: "The problem with a vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's eating habits."

The parents, who also have a 13-year-old daughter who was not found to be suffering from any deficiencies, said they became vegan after seeing a TV programme about "how animals were taken to abattoirs", said the mother's lawyer, Stephane Daquo.

At the time of their daughter's death, they were running an organic food business and refused to eat any animal products. Daquo said they had a mistrust of traditional medicine and preferred to treat their children's complaints with advice from books.

"The couple did not follow the doctor's advice to take the baby to hospital when they went for her nine-month checkup and found she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight," he said. Instead they treated her with cabbage poultices, mustard and camphor and washed her with earth and clay instead of giving her baths, the court heard.

Daquo said the couple had been reading "the wrong things at the wrong moment". "They preferred to use recipes [treatment] based on clay or cabbage poultices that they got from their books," he said.

Patrick Quenel, lawyer for the father, whose business has gone into liquidation, said the couple were "completely aware of the mistakes they made".

They have been charged with "neglect or food deprivation followed by death" and face a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison if convicted. The hearing is expected to last until Friday.
Printable versionSend to a friendShareClipContact us larger | smaller World newsFrance Europe Life and styleVeganism Vegetarianism SocietyChildren More news
Related
30 Mar 2011
What is French for a vegan?
10 Jun 2008
Why are vegans so vilified?
6 Jun 2008
Oprah's vegan diet has power to inspire fans
15 Dec 2007
Christmas time, saffron, nuts and lime

Printable versionSend to a friendShareClipContact usArticle history
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM
County Mike

Very sad. These people weren't very bright but I'm not sure I'd call them killers. I'm guessing they really regret their decisions now and miss their baby terribly.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

That's sad.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM
BamaGrits84

There is never enough information in these stories for me. A child with pneumonia would likely have had serious symptoms for days if not weeks and once they saw their child was not getting better following the advice of books and still didn't take the doctor's advice that is knowingly negligent. At 9 months they were told she needed medical treatment and 2 months later the baby is still sick and they do nothing? Maybe they do feel bad for what happened but in the US this would be criminally negligent homicide. They had 2 months to realize their at home treatment were not helping.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Primadawn

Vegan or not, who is still ONLY feeding an 11-month old baby breastmilk?

I feel for them. I'm sure they thought they were doing the right thing, but their error cost them their child's life. Sad.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Very sad. These people weren't very bright but I'm not sure I'd call them killers. I'm guessing they really regret their decisions now and miss their baby terribly.
That's just what I thought.

One point I'd add is this. People are entitled to living a vegan lifestyle if they choose. But there's a big difference in choosing that for yourself and imposing it on your baby who has not developed much of an immune system.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 PM

They belong in prison for child neglect and their daughter needs a guardian. Their child is dead as a direct result of their neglect. They ignored the recommendation of a physician to take the child to a hospital. Quackery is not a valid criminal defense.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
They belong in prison for child neglect and their daughter needs a guardian. Their child is dead as a direct result of their neglect. They ignored the recommendation of a physician to take the child to a hospital. Quackery is not a valid criminal defense.
Agreed! If they felt the need to live the Vegan lifestyle they should have made some common sense adjustments! Like actually feeding the baby something besides milk. Does thier vegan belief prevent them to feeding the child cereals and fruits? What about a multivitamin or something? Vegan or no Vegan this is just plain neglect at best! I don't know if he legally can or not but I wish the Doc could have/would have reported them and got some kind of intervention to save the baby. As for the laws in America, I'm thinking thier have been cases where fiath healers have gotten in trouble for not takeing thier child to the doc. It also sounds to me that the child was being starved!