Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
gymcoach97

The real issue that we're dealing with here is the muscle that you're essentially trying to develop isn't that big to begin with and probably has a certain limit to how much you can increase the cross-sectional area. The deltoid (anterior, medial, & posterior) is just not that big of a muscle. So, yes, a lot of this is going to have to do with genetics.

Here is my first question - how is your posture? Are you rounded forward much? Just being in a more stand-up posture may help the appearance of your shoulders.

Plus, one thing that people often never think about is how posture and good biomechanical alignment can affect the muscles. One of the "laws" of muscle is that to generate adequate amounts of force, they must maintain a good length-tension relationship. In other words, if a person has poor posture and bad alignment, a muscle may be stretched out or shortened up due to physiological adaptations (soft tissue "creep") and this may cause the actin-myosin cross-bridges to be poorly aligned to generate adequate force. If your muscle cannot generate adequate force and tension, then how can it be effectively trained and grow? What happens is that other muscles will be called into action to compensate and pick up the slack.

Just something to think about.

Also, any chance of posting a picture? Let's see what we're really working with for starters.

Take care and good luck!

And, thanks for the "plug" Rockdawg21.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Good info gymcoach, that's why I tell people to always use good posture when doing any left. Chest out, head up, shoulders back - basically parade rest form for any left whether you're lying, sitting, or bending over.

Broadening the back (building the lats) can also help the lateral deltoid stand out a bit more.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 AM
wavetar

One delt exercise that isn't seen much in the gym that can really help out the medial head are 'Arnold' or 'Scott' presses. Larry Scott pretty much invented the movement, and Arnold popularized it. Scott had a naturally narrow clavicle structure, so he spent a lot of time experimenting & came up with the movement to give himself some really nice cannonball shoulders in the end.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...noldPress.html

You'll need to drop the weight compared to regular dumbell presses, if you're doing them in proper form...maybe only 50's instead of 70's. Once you work your way up to 70's with proper form, your medial head will have had little choice but to get bigger.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Thanks wavetar, yeah Arnold Presses are great too!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM
County Mike

Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Twinsmama

i commend you on being so meticulous on your shoulders. i happen to love shoulders and back. my favorite thing about my husband. he must have good genetics because he doesn't lift any weights and until recently he has always had great upper body muscles. (he hurt his back so no heavy lifting, he has lost a bunch of mass-of course i'd never tell him that!) good luck!!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsmama View Post
i commend you on being so meticulous on your shoulders. i happen to love shoulders and back. my favorite thing about my husband. he must have good genetics because he doesn't lift any weights and until recently he has always had great upper body muscles. (he hurt his back so no heavy lifting, he has lost a bunch of mass-of course i'd never tell him that!) good luck!!
Sounds like Rev has a new fan...