Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Funny thing is.. not that I bet cash on fights....

Shogun is coming in as the underdog in this fight.. I can't figure out why...

Jones is REALLY good..a future belt holder.. most likely

But to claim the current champ as an underdog.. when the best Jones has faced.. is Matyushenko, Bonner and Hammil.... I just don't see it...

Shogun has fought and won against...Lyoto, Chuck, and Overeem...

am I the only won that sees a huge difference in the caliber of opponets?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM
rearnakedchoke

jon jones just said that rashad is his mentor .. i doubt that is a quote from rashad though .. was that from a twitter account?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post

But to claim the current champ as an underdog.. when the best Jones has faced.. is Matyushenko, Bonner and Hammil.... I just don't see it...

shogun has beaten rampage and lil nog too

jones also beat irish jake obrien
Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I think Bader is better than Bonner, Hammil and Matyushenko.

With that said the only why I think Shogun is considered an Underdog is because of the way Jones has disposed of his opponents and the hype he is riding on. Also Shogun always does terrible after surgery and hes long layoffs.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I think Bader is better than Bonner, Hammil and Matyushenko.

With that said the only why I think Shogun is considered an Underdog is because of the way Jones has disposed of his opponents and the hype he is riding on. Also Shogun always does terrible after surgery and hes long layoffs.
Good analysis Javi.. I hope he prepared himself in every way he possibly could.. I have a good feeling about the fight.. Either way it's going to be a good fight both have a lot riding on it..
Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 PM
3dlee

I am quite a fan of Shogun. His style is really fun to watch. I also want Shogun to win this fight. The thing is I only see him winnig via highlight reel style KO or TKO. The first time Shogun gets put on his back hes gonna have some big trouble. In order to get the submission, you typically are gonna have to get in good position and I dont know of anyone in the LHW divison that could put Jones in a postion that he doesn't wanna be put in. He made Bader look horrible. IMHO, Shogun is gonna have to finish the fight at the beginning of one of the rounds. When Jones gets hit (assuming he doesnt get KO'd) by Shoguns power punches and kicks, hes gonna shoot for the takedown. I really have hard time seeing Shogun being able to stuff any of Bones' takedown attempts. So in conclusion, my heart is rooting for the highlight KO from Shogun. But my brain is telling me that Jon Jones takes a 49-46 UD.

NOW on the real topic lol. I fully understand why Rashad would want to leave Jackson's if Jones wins the belt. No coach in his right mind would turn away a UFC champion. But Rashad (i think) was there first and is also a number one contender for the 205 crown. If I were Rashad, I think I would go on over to ATT or go to Arizona and train with Aaron Simpson and company.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Chuck

I imagine that Rashad is simply hurt that more attention is being directed towards JBJ than him.

It's better he move on then let a poor attitude impact Jacksons camp.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:

it's all about styles ... how many have the guys shogun beat tried to take him down as the main point of their game plan ??? coleman and forrest .. forrest beat him and coleman was doing well but gassed .. people though jbj was gonna have a hard time taking down bader and he did it with ease ... shogun has good jj, but has never really had to show it except maybe against randleman ... jbj is gonna take shogun down and do as much damage as possible ..
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
it's all about styles ... how many have the guys shogun beat tried to take him down as the main point of their game plan ??? coleman and forrest .. forrest beat him and coleman was doing well but gassed .. people though jbj was gonna have a hard time taking down bader and he did it with ease ... shogun has good jj, but has never really had to show it except maybe against randleman ... jbj is gonna take shogun down and do as much damage as possible ..
yeah but style wise jones hasnt faced anyone like shogun... His striking and jj is on another level to what jones has faced... He hasnt even wanted to stand up long with the wrestlers he has faced... Theres a big difference between putting a wrestler who spends no time training off there back there and a jj blackbelt... the best person jones has faced on the ground is bonnar and he couldnt finish him... Im sure he has improved alot since that fight though... well see on saturday..

also you forgot a shogun opponent who tried to tak him down... his name is ricardo arona and hes won about ever jj compertion hes ever been in and had monster td's in his prime... He took shogun down almost got subbed got swept and hammer fisted to unconsciousness
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
yeah but style wise jones hasnt faced anyone like shogun... His striking and jj is on another level to what jones has faced... He hasnt even wanted to stand up long with the wrestlers he has faced... Theres a big difference between putting a wrestler who spends no time training off there back there and a jj blackbelt... the best person jones has faced on the ground is bonnar and he couldnt finish him... Im sure he has improved alot since that fight though... well see on saturday..

also you forgot a shogun opponent who tried to tak him down... his name is ricardo arona and hes won about ever jj compertion hes ever been in and had monster td's in his prime... He took shogun down almost got subbed got swept and hammer fisted to unconsciousness
you could be right .. but if jones gets him down, he is so long that he can make great strikes from the top .. just like the vera fight ... one elbow and a broken orbital .. i love shogun and jones, so i don't know how i am gonna even watch this ... i'll be happy if either wins ... i just think jones has the style advantage in this fight ..