Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post


I've been firing to see Pat back in the UFC, even just as a cornerman, ever since that IFL beef that Dana created. Man, I'm really excited about this.

One question for everyone: Does Paul Daley get fired from SF now?
The interview with Ariel was pretty clear that Dana wouldn't move on any SF talent unless there contract was up.Coker will be running the show managing fighters.
I want to see Robbie back in the UFC for sure.
I wonder what will happen with the sponsorships of Clinch Gear or will it not be an issue since they are no longer sponsoring a rival organization.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

LOL, that's funny. If anything, the fighters will leave and Bellator will grow.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, that's funny. If anything, the fighters will leave and Bellator will grow.
With all due respect, rockdawg, I disagree. That would be like a ballplayer turning down a contract with the Yankees to play for the Tacoma Rainiers. Not a good move, career-wise.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
philips4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Doesn't this take some leverage away from the fighters for money? I hate to see some of them get paid as little as they do and now there is no competition between organizations to take care of their fighters or worry about loosing them. I tend to think competition is good for the consumer and worry about a complete monopoly, though I recognize the pros as well.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
With all due respect, rockdawg, I disagree. That would be like a ballplayer turning down a contract with the Yankees to play for the Tacoma Rainiers. Not a good move, career-wise.
That's not a good comparison in the fact that the guy would make more money with the Yankees and less with the Rainiers. However, fighters in the lesser league of Strikeforce were getting paid more than their UFC counterparts. If your concern is the best competition, yes, go with the UFC, but if your concern is about pay, you go somewhere else. Bellator is the 3rd biggest and it will grow now.

Many fighters leave the UFC because of the pay, such as Dan Henderson. I don't see Dan choosing to stay unless they pay him like he was getting paid in Strikeforce.
__________________

Last edited by rockdawg21; 03-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
cds
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
Doesn't this take some leverage away from the fighters for money? I hate to see some of them get paid as little as they do and now there is no competition between organizations to take care of their fighters or worry about loosing them. I tend to think competition is good for the consumer and worry about a complete monopoly, though I recognize the pros as well.
I agree completely, as this can not be good for the fighters. There will be virtually no leverage in bargaining for fighters, can anyone say "Meat Grinder". The same will be said that if a fighter does not agree with the UFC, they pretty much hold all the cards....either play their game or they will destroy your career.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
That's not a good comparison in the fact that the guy would make more money with the Yankees and less with the Rainiers. However, fighters in the lesser league of Strikeforce were getting paid more than their UFC counterparts. If your concern is the best competition, yes, go with the UFC, but if your concern is about pay, you go somewhere else. Bellator is the 3rd biggest and it will grow now.

Many fighters leave the UFC because of the pay, such as Dan Henderson. I don't see Dan choosing to stay unless they pay him like he was getting paid in Strikeforce.
I didn't know they were paid more on average at Strikeforce. Well, there goes that argument.

Yeah, you and phillips bring up good points about that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

A huge chunk of the "casual" fans think it's all "UFC" anyway. The idea that they keep Strikeforce running as it's own entity seems like a formality. As soon as those contracts expire, so will the Strikeforce brand IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Total monopoly isnt good for the viewership though.
The NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL would beg to differ. The one thing I want to know about is if the fighters can unionize, that may be the next step for the fighters.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
[*]Title unifications. Once a year the UFC champ vs. The SF champ for the Zuffa belt.
This, or just have one title for each weight class and call it the Zuffa _____ Champion of the World and have the champions defend their title in both orgs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.