View Poll Results: Should Jens Pulver be added to the UFC Hall of Fame
YES 14 53.85%
NO 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I listened to your video...but I'm also rather tired so I'll probably have to listen to it again tomorrow to process it.

I'm not sure how exactly Jens established the division. What do you mean? Did he fight to have those divisions created? I know when he went to WEC they already had lighter weight divisions and champions, so I'm not quite sure what you mean he established it. Do you mean he made it popular? Cause when he went to fight in WEC against Urijah...Urijah was already quite popular and was making a name for WEC and the featherweight division itself.

And when Jens did the Ultimate Fighter and came back to face BJ at lightweight, I'd argue BJ made that division popular again and really legitimized the division by giving it popularity and stability.
Yes, he fought for its acceptance....and then he lended his popularity to it as a cause once he was sent to WEC himself.

when he was first fighting there was no 155lb...let alone 145 or 135...those other weight classes found favour themselves once the 155lb division was allowed to participate. That was due to Jens...if you remove Jens from History, there is no Lightweight, and nothing beneith it...you'd have the one off matches at Lightweight between BJ Penn and Caol Uno...neither of which could manage to keep the division afloat when it mattered. When Pulver withdrew it collapsed.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Selling T Shirts alongside an organisation, is a bigger contribution then instigating the acceptance of three different weight division in the organisation?

I think you give too little credit to what Mask and Tapout have done for the sport and a little too much credit to Jens.

But I understand. You're a Jen's fan, I get it.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I think you give too little credit to what Mask and Tapout have done for the sport and a little too much credit to Jens.

But I understand. You're a Jen's fan, I get it.
No...I'm being logical. Someone not a sportman, and not officially part of the sport at all, has been recognised in the Hall of Fame...I am sure as the brand grew it helpped gain recognition for the sport, I am sure it has become so large its a financial contributor.

But without Jens Pulvers pushing for equality of little fighters, three sevenths of the entire fighting Roster would dissapear into thin air.

Tell me...which of the two deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, and which one helpped promote the sport.

Heck...we all promote the sport on here, dont doubt the fact that some of the youtubers who started like me, doing predictions and recap videos, are now involved in conference calls for brands. Dont forget there are many Journalists who write and spread the recognition of the sport.

Mask was inducted for no other real reason then the fact he met an untimely end and was successful and helpful to the insitution in what he did. If the roles had been reversed, and the other guy had died...the UFC would have dropped him like a hot coal...His Legacy is better for his demise...then it would have been if he'd survived under those circumstances, as a street racing criminal, who has seemingly been hallowed for his tragic death.

I dont see why that qualifies him for a position in the first place?!? Sorry to be mean...but its true. He's only become an idol since he died, in exactly the same manner as Evan Tanner.

The best way to break the UFC hall of fame would seem to be, to die in tragic or mysterious circumstances...from a completely emotionless and subjective view...that is riddiculous.

But, Like I said, I've already written and sent off the Letters, weeks ago in fact.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
But without Jens Pulvers pushing for equality of little fighters, three sevenths of the entire fighting Roster would dissapear into thin air.
You make it sound like he lead the civil rights movement.

Lightweight/Featherweight fighters have been around for well over 100 years, so let's not pretend that 3 weight divisions would cease to exist if Jens Pulver wasn't around.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You make it sound like he lead the civil rights movement.

Lightweight/Featherweight fighters have been around for well over 100 years, so let's not pretend that 3 weight divisions would cease to exist if Jens Pulver wasn't around.
Not accepted in the UFC...and not really accepted in Western MMA til around 2001

Remember, MMA has roughly been around nearly twenty years, and the 155lbs and below only really started to be accepted this century
Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Rev

I love Jens, but being real, the lw, fw, cw classes would have made it without him. Does he deserve to be in the HOF? yes. But lets not be goofy about it. The tapout crew has done just as much or more for mma.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I love Jens, but being real, the lw, fw, cw classes would have made it without him. Does he deserve to be in the HOF? yes. But lets not be goofy about it. The tapout crew has done just as much or more for mma.
I aggree.

But the difference is...they were made by him before they did it through someone else...who knows what would have happened...most likely someone else would have championed the cause and done well...but thats theorizing...we dont need to theorise...coz we know it did happen, and through Jens...and I'm sorry for being goofy
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Liddellfan

Quote:
Yes, he fought for its acceptance....and then he lended his popularity to it as a cause once he was sent to WEC himself.

when he was first fighting there was no 155lb...let alone 145 or 135...those other weight classes found favour themselves once the 155lb division was allowed to participate. That was due to Jens...if you remove Jens from History, there is no Lightweight, and nothing beneith it...you'd have the one off matches at Lightweight between BJ Penn and Caol Uno...neither of which could manage to keep the division afloat when it mattered. When Pulver withdrew it collapsed.
The 155lb weight class was NOT because of Jens Pulver, it was done when the "new rules" were introduced and the fights were sanctioned. The weight classes were then redone and adjusted, everybody knows this. They cut out the 150lb class and made it 155lbs AKA:LW. No matter what you think, this had absolutely nothing to due with Jens Pulver. It was due to unified MMA rules.
Fact is, If you remove Jens from UFC history, there would have been a different 1st LW champion, no major issues......And to respond to my last post, Yes, Mask has done enough to be in the HOF. He was NOT placed in the HOF as being a fighter so your question of how many fights he had in the UFC is irrevelant.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan View Post
The 155lb weight class was NOT because of Jens Pulver, it was done when the "new rules" were introduced and the fights were sanctioned. The weight classes were then redone and adjusted, everybody knows this. They cut out the 150lb class and made it 155lbs AKA:LW. No matter what you think, this had absolutely nothing to due with Jens Pulver. It was due to unified MMA rules.
Fact is, If you remove Jens from UFC history, there would have been a different 1st LW champion, no major issues......And to respond to my last post, Yes, Mask has done enough to be in the HOF. He was NOT placed in the HOF as being a fighter so your question of how many fights he had in the UFC is irrevelant.
I'm sorry I dissagree with your revisionist version of historical events.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Not accepted in the UFC...and not really accepted in Western MMA til around 2001

Remember, MMA has roughly been around nearly twenty years, and the 155lbs and below only really started to be accepted this century
The point is that these weight classes are not some new thing that Pulver invented, they have been around for combat sports for a long time. I'm not saying that Jens wasn't one of MMA's first stars in the lighter divisions, but the divisions would have flourished with or without him.