Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Miss Foxy

lmao @ this thread..
Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Its supposed to Reflect the forty days of Christ in the Wilderness, before his ministry...did you even bother to listen to the video?

is the temptation of Christ not biblical enough for your Nathan
And exactly how does that tie into lent? I see no connection.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I wanted to give up pocket lint for lent but that stuff just never seems to go away.

Anyways, in all seriousness, I've never observed lent in my life, since I see no Biblical basis for it; so no reason to start now.

If someone can provide a Biblical argument for why this tradition is necessary, then I'd love to hear it. To me it just smacks of works-based salvation or an attempt to make ourselves worthy of GOD, which we all know is totally impossible.
Could not agree more! I have relatives(Catholic) that don't darken the door of a church all year long. But when lent hits they get all legalistic like not eating meat on Fridays.........it's crazy!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
Could not agree more! I have relatives(Catholic) that don't darken the door of a church all year long. But when lent hits they get all legalistic like not eating meat on Fridays.........it's crazy!
I know what you mean.. I don't eat meat on Friday's around my mother or her mother out of respect. Plus my granny is mean and old and hates that I left the church so I do it to please her.. However it's funny how religious people get during this season! lol.My father is agnostic so it's free reign around him..
Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
And exactly how does that tie into lent? I see no connection.
That IS Lent.

Lent is just a time to reflect on Christs Temptation, and then His Passion.

The Church tries to make time for what it sees as being important throughout the Year. Each Liturgical Season has a focus.

Lent is a time to reflect on the humanity of Christ...the fact he used isolation to gain comfort from GOD, he needed personal space, the fact that he was tempted by the Devil, the fact that he would do such things as Fasting...the fact that the whole of his Passion was voluntary and not a set of circumstances forced on an unsuspecting Victim.

The Catholic Church in the middle ages, in its aspirations to allow people to be more Christ Like, wanted to allow the Congregation to share in Christs Suffering as well as His Glory...something often reflected in the Pauline section of Scriptures. Thats where the ideas of self denial, and giving up something for lent originated.

But as the world has become secular, and the Roman Church retreated...it generally became being pius for the sake of piety...which is something Christ warns against. Which is why I advocate a focus away from sharing Christs Suffering...and actually doing what Christ would do. He wanted to bring love and Salvation...so perhaps our focus should be on philanthropy and evangelism during lent...that would mean taking something up.

Again...I dont post links to my videos for fun. I do it so I dont NEED to repeat myself...if you listened to my video FIRST you wouldnt need to ask the above question since this whole distinguishment is EXACTLY the prompt that called me to make the video and show it here in the first place.

Honnestly! they complain if my posts are to long, but havent the stamina to do nothing but listen to a few mins video instead.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
cubsfan47

Thank you Tyburn. That's the best explanation I have ever seen in recent years.

There's more I could say in response to Nate; but with closed minds the effort is usually not worth it.
But I will say this,Nate you are on my list, a Catholic prayer list.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47 View Post

There's more I could say in response to Nate; but with closed minds the effort is usually not worth it.
Nate:

Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
That IS Lent.

Lent is just a time to reflect on Christs Temptation, and then His Passion.

The Church tries to make time for what it sees as being important throughout the Year. Each Liturgical Season has a focus.

Lent is a time to reflect on the humanity of Christ...the fact he used isolation to gain comfort from GOD, he needed personal space, the fact that he was tempted by the Devil, the fact that he would do such things as Fasting...the fact that the whole of his Passion was voluntary and not a set of circumstances forced on an unsuspecting Victim.

The Catholic Church in the middle ages, in its aspirations to allow people to be more Christ Like, wanted to allow the Congregation to share in Christs Suffering as well as His Glory...something often reflected in the Pauline section of Scriptures. Thats where the ideas of self denial, and giving up something for lent originated.

But as the world has become secular, and the Roman Church retreated...it generally became being pius for the sake of piety...which is something Christ warns against. Which is why I advocate a focus away from sharing Christs Suffering...and actually doing what Christ would do. He wanted to bring love and Salvation...so perhaps our focus should be on philanthropy and evangelism during lent...that would mean taking something up.

Again...I dont post links to my videos for fun. I do it so I dont NEED to repeat myself...if you listened to my video FIRST you wouldnt need to ask the above question since this whole distinguishment is EXACTLY the prompt that called me to make the video and show it here in the first place.

Honnestly! they complain if my posts are to long, but havent the stamina to do nothing but listen to a few mins video instead.
Still just a Church tradition. Did Jesus fast for 40 days before His death and Resurrection? No. You've shown me nothing biblical about the idea of giving up something for 40 days before Easter. In fact, that has more to do with pagan traditions and sun god worship, than Christian doctrine.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Still just a Church tradition. Did Jesus fast for 40 days before His death and Resurrection? No. You've shown me nothing biblical about the idea of giving up something for 40 days before Easter. In fact, that has more to do with pagan traditions and sun god worship, than Christian doctrine.
Everything in Church is a Tradition. Traditions that are Biblically sound are GOOD

Jesus went into the wilderness to fast for forty days before his Ministry. It doesnt matter where the church decides to put this season...the point is that people LIKE YOU remember the importance of it.

You didnt even know what lent was until I explained it...either that, or you asked some very foolish questions...and your lack of knowledge isnt because your stupid...its because you've already made up your mind about ANY tradition.

Face it Nate, its a fallen world, some time you should actually investigate, rather then just pronounce judgement on something you know absolutely nothing about. I doubt you made time in your year to focus, solely, on what Christ did in the Wilderness...and on what that specific event means to us today.

AND for your information...Would you like to tell me exactly what Christ WAS doing just before he was arrested? Cant you see the connection??

He wasnt preaching surrounded by thousands of people. He was alone in a Garden, with nature, talking to GOD...he even told his few disciples who followed to wait outside of earshot.

That right there is a miniature lent...because he faced his biggest Temptation of all! He asks the Father to remove the cup...to take away his Passion...that is his plea...but he resigns himself to his Fathers Will and does what has to be done. One of the greatest depictions of this moment, is in The Passion Of The Christ...which shows the Garden, and his Plea to Almighty GOD...and a little way off, Lucifer...standing their...hoping that Christ will bottle at the last hurdle.

If you put half as much effort into TRYING to understand this sort of Theology as you do constantly arguing with me on here about the dissapointments of the Established Church, and who is a Christian, and who isnt a Christian, you would not only have a heart FOR TRUTH, which you do, if often unmoderated by the Spirit I feel...but ALSO a Heart of Wisdom and Love.

Perhaps you will understand this:

Against the plan of God for the salvation of all men, the Devil has opposed with all his strength, as the Gospel of the temptation of Jesus tells us. But, entering this liturgical season means siding each time with Christ against sin, facing - both as individuals and as a Church - the spiritual battle against the spirit of evil

As one who experienced first hand, the frightening power of The Spiritual War we are in, Last Night, and as one who lives with a serious and constant temptation to do vile evil, I find the Temptation of Christ very comforting...to know that HE knows how I feel...and that HE overcame...and that if I am in trouble, I can call upon the holiness of His Name, and he will come and help me.

I'm So sorry if YOU dont feel dedicating forty days of the Callendar per year, for reflection on that is Important.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47 View Post

Please don't take offence to this but...

Why are you still a catholic exactly?

If you believe in Christ and the bible why do you still stay with that church?