Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Congrats Pat Miletich

Although the sport of MMA has only been around for a little under two decades, its roots and components run deep into the past. Jiu-jitsu and wrestling are two very important parts of what make up Mixed Martial Arts, and they are two disciplines that have been around for a very long time. Many of the sports first champions came from either a sole jiu-jitsu or wrestling background: for the sake of this article let’s just point to Royce Gracie, who is the godfather of jiu-jitsu in MMA, and Pat Miletich, who revolutionized the way wrestling could be utilized with ground-and-pound to dominate opponents and take the fight were he wanted it. Without these two fighters the sport may not be what it is today. Basically, these two men deserve recognition beyond what we as fans can give them.

On the weekend of July 22nd, however, Pat Miletich will be awarded for his wrestling contributions in MMA by the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Waterloo, Iowa. Miletich will receive the first ever George Tragos Award, given to an exceptionally competitive wrestler that has adapted his wrestling skills and competitive nature to excel in MMA.

Pat Miletich has become one of the most successful Mixed Martial Artists and trainers to ever grace the earth. He is the founder of the Miletich Fighting Systems, which is based out of Davenport, Iowa, where he trains some of the most successful fighters in MMA.

As an MMA fighter Miletich compiled a 29-7-2 record from 1995 through 2008 and became the first Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight champion at UFC 16 in 1998. He is also a color commentator for Strikeforce, which airs on CBS/Showtime.

Miletich began wrestling at the age of five and wrestled for Bettendorf High School. His contributions are greatly appreciated by fight fans and the entire wrestling community.

Other notable names that will be recognized over the Wrestling Hall of Fame weekend at the Dan Gable Museum are “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, Jim Ross, and Scott Teal for his excellence in pro wrestling journalism.

Both Dory Funk Jr. and Gorilla Monsoon will also be inducted into the Hall of Fame during the event in July
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Very cool! Thanks for posting this. I haven't had time to keep up on my own with MMA news. I rely on you, Ben, and others who spoon feed me this stuff.

Congrats, Pat!

~Amy

My son made this for me: