Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM
billwilliams70

Default GSP is not afraid of Silva

Quote:
Georges St. Pierre is less than seven weeks away from another huge fight where he defends his UFC welterweight title. He'll battle Jake Shields in front 55,000 at Toronto's Rogers Centre, yet all people can ask about is the possible superfight down the road against UFC middleweight champ. GSP appeared on Versus during UFC on Versus 3 and said it's not a definite that he's taking the fight.
Read the full article here.

Later.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Miss Foxy

I read that yesterday on another forum and of course you know my negative gsp comments!! I will be nice and just keep quiet..
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
CAVEMAN

Nice find! I totally agree with GSP. There is alot he has to consider when jumping to 185. I think he knows he's already big for 170 and if he makes that jump to fight Silva, his body may not let him return to 170. It's not just as simple as him putting on 15 lbs for a fight, staying lean, and maintaining good cardio.

I hope this fight happens and would love to see it, but really sounds like GSP does not want to make the move.

And I don't see Anderson agreeing to a catch weight under 185.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
Nice find! I totally agree with GSP. There is alot he has to consider when jumping to 185. I think he knows he's already big for 170 and if he makes that jump to fight Silva, his body may not let him return to 170. It's not just as simple as him putting on 15 lbs for a fight, staying lean, and maintaining good cardio.

I hope this fight happens and would love to see it, but really sounds like GSP does not want to make the move.

And I don't see Anderson agreeing to a catch weight under 185.
I agree brother. I've stayed mostly out of this topic but I would say this:

If GSP plans on making a permanent move to 185 then he should take his time and build the weight the right way.

If the UFC just wants to set up a Superfight.. then I think it should be at 180lbs and GSP should return to WW when he's done.

It's silly to me the number of people on this board who think GSP has no chance against AS at 185. AS would certainly have the advantage but it's a very winnable fight for GSP. I personally think GSP and Randy are the best fighters in the UFC when it comes to putting together a game plan and sticking to it. If GSP fought smart he would have a great chance at beating AS.

But fighting is about styles... and to be honest the Chael/GSP match up would be much harder for GSP in my book than GSP/AS.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I agree brother. I've stayed mostly out of this topic but I would say this:

If GSP plans on making a permanent move to 185 then he should take his time and build the weight the right way.

If the UFC just wants to set up a Superfight.. then I think it should be at 180lbs and GSP should return to WW when he's done.

It's silly to me the number of people on this board who think GSP has no chance against AS at 185. AS would certainly have the advantage but it's a very winnable fight for GSP. I personally think GSP and Randy are the best fighters in the UFC when it comes to putting together a game plan and sticking to it. If GSP fought smart he would have a great chance at beating AS.

But fighting is about styles... and to be honest the Chael/GSP match up would be much harder for GSP in my book than GSP/AS.
I've been saying that for years now.

I agree, it's certainly a winnable fight for GSP if he does things the right way.....and I would think that the UFC would allow that to happen if all parties agreed to this 'superfight'.

Later.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

how many champs think of their "next" fight when they have a huge fight right in front of them ... if i were GSP, i wouldn't want to vacate the ww div ... why would he let guys like fitch, bj, kos whoever fight for his title when he has beat all these guys handily ... i think dana wants to do this fight in brazil which is not enough time for gsp to properly put on the weight he wants ...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 PM

I think GSP has a good shot at winning this. I do consider him the underdog though.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Make it a 180 catch weight! I bet GSP walks around at 180 at least! I suspect alot of fighters could fight at a higher weight class just by not cutting. But everybody wants to fight lighter than they really are!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I think GSP has a good shot at winning this. I do consider him the underdog though.
so no matter what happens, you're right.

[
Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I like GSP.. I am NOT a fan of Andy's... Andy will demolish GSP. period.