Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
BamaGrits84

A clear answer is no - a church is not blessed if it does not follow scripture. In fact I would go so far as to say some churches are a cult because they clearly negate bibical principals and lead others to misunderstand who Christ is.

I'll address my thoughts on each one you noted.

Elders: Clearly the scriptures you cited do not allow for just anyone to be an elder, or church leader. I do believe there are many great pastor and deacons who have come to know Christ and turned from a path of distruction that are leading churches in a way that is pleasing to God.

Non Christian church members: I have never really been to a church that intentionally takes on unsaved members. Maybe some do, but I do think it is wrong based on the principal that members having voting power at most churches. Letting a non Christians have an impact on the path of a church would be counteractive. How can a person without Christ in them keep the church on a Christ centerd path?

Divided services: Do you mean contemporary and traditional services? If you do I don't think there is anything wrong with having multiple services for the purpose of worship prefrences or space if the pastor is not catering his message to the different groups.

Infant baptisms: I'm not sure what even started this with some churches. I don't know of any place in the bible where this is even mentioned, but it does say baptism is a public sign of salvation which an infant is not capable of uderstanding. Baptism by water should follow salvation and be used for no other reason.

Churches have began to cater to society to keep their memberships up I think. I saw a sign on one about a messgae on tolerance. I almost went just to try to tell as many people as I could that church was getting them closer to hell, not God. Figured with my personality I would find it hard to be loving towards someone leading so many people in the wrong direction and would likely end in the cops having to make me leave.