Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Is a church blessed if it doesn't follow scripture? These are my interpretations of Scripture of what the a church should be doing and I dont think there are. Anyone can be a elder, non christian members, The church is divided in services and infant baptism. There is no church discipline.
I believe that a church that disregards the very Word of GOD cannot be blessed because even GOD holds His Word above His name.

Psalm 138 : 2
I will worship toward Your holy temple, And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Can you quote the scriptures you derive these comments from?
Titus 1
6 An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages Godís household, he must be blamelessónot overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Is a church blessed if it doesn't follow scripture? These are my interpretations of Scripture of what the a church should be doing and I dont think there are. Anyone can be a elder, non christian members, The church is divided in services and infant baptism. There is no church discipline.
Mark, I had a tough time following your post, but do I understand you to say that you believe that since my church practices infant baptism, we aren't blessed by God? Not trying to , just trying to clarify & I know you'll give me a straight answer.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Mark, I had a tough time following your post, but do I understand you to say that you believe that since my church practices infant baptism, we aren't blessed by God? Not trying to , just trying to clarify & I know you'll give me a straight answer.
I interprete scripture to believe in believers baptism. Why would jesus give us guidelines for appointing elders if we are not to go by them?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I interprete scripture to believe in believers baptism. Why would jesus give us guidelines for appointing elders if we are not to go by them?
does your church do infant baptism?

[
Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
I don't think I'm catching the connection between baptism & obeying elders. My church very carefully follows Titus when we are electing our elders and deacons, but I don't see a portion in there that mentions baptism.

Do you mean that elders should be leading the church to believer baptism, so if a church practices infant baptism then they aren't being properly led by their elders & therefore isn't being blessed? I think I'm still not getting it.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
does your church do infant baptism?
Yes.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Chris F

Quote:
the church here (earth) is ran by man not by scripture in many places. This is why it is so screwed up,
Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Mine too.

[
Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Rev

I dont see infant baptism as being scriptural. I know that the Bible doesnt give the ages of everyone who was baptized, but I feel like if it were an ordinance from God, it would be made pretty clear.

One thing that I try and push really hard and it is VERY lacking in the Baptist church, is the importance if our elders and deacons being qualified as per Titus and not as per popularity. I am interested to hear where Mark is going with this.