Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-06-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
He has to...he cant go sitting on the bench waiting for Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard...that would take forever. At best...three months for rematch, then three months before his fight...at worst, five months til rematch, then its a close call and they do best of three so another five months, and then another three months until his tern.

He hasnt got much of a choice...he's intelligent enough to understand that...and even if he fails and then never gets a unification...at least he has the WEC belt...they cant take that away from him.

The UFC should either refrain from making promises, or be honourable and fulfill their promises regardless of better business sence...but I dont think Dana White cares about keeping his Word. He probably isnt really bothered...but where I come from, a mans word is his integrity and honour...if he makes a vow and doesnt come true he is untrustworthy as a person. I dont end up close friends or have much regard for people who cant be trusted...because they have questionable loyalty...and thats one of my central cores of importance.
I agree Pettis needs to fight He can wait a year for Frankie to beat Maynard again. I think its bs that Pettis didn't get the fight but we all know the UFC is all about the money, what fans want, and then WHATS RIGHT.

Pettis said he would rather fight than wait in Inside MMA if im not mistaking.
I was just pulling REV's leg cause he said Pettis decided to fight like 3 times in one sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Pettis was given the option to wait for it or fight so what are yall upset about?
He made the decision to fight, Pettis decided to fight, Anthony Pettis decided to fight instead of waiting for the winner. I respect the heck out of that.

Man people are quick to bash Dana! dang.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Max

Quote:
I dont mind saying it...In this instance Dana White is a liar and breaker of promises. He promised a Unification match BEFORE the showtime kick...he promised that either Benson Henderson, or Anthony Pettis would fight Frankie Edgar as the next fight after Gray Maynard...one presumes within a reasonable four to five months (allowing for Frankie obviously to reprepare and train.) the match was not especially close...Maynard blew a perfect paper record (and I say paper because a good amount of us could see him struggling with his decisions up to two fights before his title shot...he was awarded some dodgey decisions) next thing you know...for absolutely no good reason at all...they want a rematch.
What you are saying is not true dave. Dana said that the WEC champ would fight the WINNER of the Edgar v Maynard fight. The thing is the fight ended in a draw so there for there was no winner. So the only logical thing to do is have a rematch since Pettis cant fight the winner of a fight that had no winner.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
What you are saying is not true dave. Dana said that the WEC champ would fight the WINNER of the Edgar v Maynard fight. The thing is the fight ended in a draw so there for there was no winner. So the only logical thing to do is have a rematch since Pettis cant fight the winner of a fight that had no winner.
You know as well as I, that the Challenger must Beat the Champion outright to win the title. Did Gray Maynard win the Title?

NO HE DID NOT.

A draw equates to a loss, which is why Frankie Edgar still holds the championship.

The Logical thing to do is to proceed on the basis that Maynard blew it. Have Frankie Fight Pettis who is ALREADY WAITING, and whilst that is happening, have Maynard squash a can. By the time Pettis and Edgar have fought, Maynard and the Can will also have fought...no time wasted...and then if Maynard has crushed his can, and Edgar has managed not to loose his belt, THEN you have a rematch. This way everyone keeps fighting, no time is lost, no one is kept waiting, and all promises are fulfilled.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

...and yes I bloody well do deserve the pay cheque amount that Joe Silva gets...believe it or not, that bit of match making didnt take an iota of brains. It common sense to make sure fighters are not left waiting around to long, its common courtesy not to keep someone you have promised a shot, to wait. Its actually not rocket science.

This stupid, foolish notion that every close match demands an instant rematch is tiersome at best, and destroying careers at worst.

You dont need to be employed by the UFC to figure that out....its a GROSS oversight, done purely on the basis that Frankie/Maynard would be more of a draw then Pettis/Frankie...which after the hype of that showtime kick, had they made the arrangements for the fight to be this month or april, would I reckon have been just as much a draw and made more sense

but theres politics at play here also. they WANT Maynard to be the Champion, so any bloody excuse they can possibly make to get him their they will pull out of the bag. They evidently dont find Frankie Edgar that charismatic...because the moment he took the belt...rather then playing the obvious (which they couldnt do because Penn is another golden boi of theres) they forced and instant rematch...whilst Maynard...everso shakily made his way across potholes he was well due to fall in to get to contendership.

Pettis is from WEC...they dont care about WEC lightweights, they are seen as second class citizens that can wait their turn. (incidently like British Viewers who cant actually easily even watch UFC events in the first place...we evidently dont matter either...and ive LONG since said that!)

Well...I hope that Frankie Crushes Maynard to show the management what a balls up having a dumbass rematch is, and then I hope that Pettis flattens both Guida and Edgar....then they will have been shamed...and then perhaps the WEC lightweight division will be vindicated...unfortunately, all that depends almost entirely on Anthony Pettis...and why should he bother when they've already written him off.

I am SO angry about this its unreal
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

THATS how this really is...and I dont mind saying. I give praise where praise is due, but I wont give rewards for bad behaviour, mistreatment of an honourable young man and a tallented fighter, whether for capitalistic business gains or not, will most certainly be rectified before I give my stamp of approval...and until such time my tune wont be changed.

Slow down Tyburn....

it's not like anyone could have predicted a 5 round draw.. so there was no malice...

I don't see Dana's behavior as bad or mistreatment at all... it's just the way the cards fell..

and sing all you want.. you don't think Dana White is going to lose sleep do you?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
This stupid, foolish notion that every close match demands an instant rematch is tiersome at best, and destroying careers at worst.
Kinda like Chuck taking Renato when Tito was ducking him???

really destroyed his career didn't it?

Pettis will get another fight.. and win or lose will determine if he gets his title shot.. and IMO.. Clay deserves one alot more...

Quote:
You dont need to be employed by the UFC to figure that out....its a GROSS oversight, done purely on the basis that Frankie/Maynard would be more of a draw then Pettis/Frankie...
But it sure helps doesn't it....

Quote:
but theres politics at play here also. they WANT Maynard to be the Champion, so any bloody excuse they can possibly make to get him their they will pull out of the bag.
how do you figure that???

Quote:
They evidently dont find Frankie Edgar that charismatic...because the moment he took the belt...rather then playing the obvious (which they couldnt do because Penn is another golden boi of theres) they forced and instant rematch...whilst Maynard...everso shakily made his way across potholes he was well due to fall in to get to contendership.
huh???? Frankie beat Penn 2 times... Maynard... was a draw... it makes sense seeing as how the fight was so close...

Quote:
Pettis is from WEC...they dont care about WEC lightweights, they are seen as second class citizens that can wait their turn.
again.... HUH??? where are you getting that from..

And you do know that the ZUFFA owned WEC for a LONG time before folding them in...

Quote:
(incidently like British Viewers who cant actually easily even watch UFC events in the first place...we evidently dont matter either...and ive LONG since said that!)
That is most likely an issue with your providers... hardly a Zuffa problem.. "x" provider wants to show UFC programming... Zuffa says.. "sure" you have to pay "x" amount... to do so.. the provider says.. "no way that's too much"... and that's how the conversation starts...

Quote:
Well...I hope that Frankie Crushes Maynard to show the management what a balls up having a dumbass rematch is,
I hope he beats him also.. but I don't really see it being a "crushing" victory..

Quote:
and then I hope that Pettis flattens both Guida and Edgar....
Well.. when Guida beats Pettis.. then I want to see Guida getting a shot...

Quote:
then they will have been shamed...
Why would Zuffa/UFC be shammed at all??? Your not making sense...

Quote:
and then perhaps the WEC lightweight division will be vindicated...unfortunately, all that depends almost entirely on Anthony Pettis...
So the entire former WEC LW divison rests entirely on the shoulders of Pettis??? Your not really saying a lot for those fighters...

Quote:
and why should he bother when they've already written him off.
Giving him Guida is writing him off???

Quote:
I am SO angry about this its unreal
Your conspiracy theories are unreal.... even Mulder would say ..."WTF dude?"
Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Max

Quote:
You know as well as I, that the Challenger must Beat the Champion outright to win the title. Did Gray Maynard win the Title?

NO HE DID NOT.

A draw equates to a loss, which is why Frankie Edgar still holds the championship.

The Logical thing to do is to proceed on the basis that Maynard blew it. Have Frankie Fight Pettis who is ALREADY WAITING, and whilst that is happening, have Maynard squash a can. By the time Pettis and Edgar have fought, Maynard and the Can will also have fought...no time wasted...and then if Maynard has crushed his can, and Edgar has managed not to loose his belt, THEN you have a rematch. This way everyone keeps fighting, no time is lost, no one is kept waiting, and all promises are fulfilled.
I never said that Maynard won the title, I stated that Pettis was told he woudl fight the winner and there was no winner of that fight. A draw does not equate to a loss, if it did then it would be reflected that way in Maynards record, but its not. There is really nothing wrong with what the UFC is doing.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

Look at you trying to use logic with Dave.... silly boy, when will you learn??

Quote:

NO HE DID NOT.

A draw equates to a loss, WRONGwhich is why Frankie Edgar still holds the championship.

The Logical thing to do In your mind....
is to proceed on the basis that Maynard blew it. which he didn't.........
Have Frankie Fight Pettis who is ALREADY WAITING, poor little fella... that's so sad!!!

and whilst that is happening, have Maynard squash a can. By the time Pettis and Edgar have fought, Maynard and the Can will also have fought...no time wasted...and then if Maynard has crushed his can, and Edgar has managed not to loose his belt, THEN you have a rematch. This way everyone keeps fighting, no time is lost, no one is kept waiting, and all promises are fulfilled.
Ah snap!!! Dave's mad now!!!! He broke out the bold and the CAPS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Your conspiracy theories are unreal.... even Mulder would say ..."WTF dude?"
EVERYTHING has some secret, political meaning to it with Dave. Haven't you figured that out by now??

Once he gets his mind set in a direction the blinders go up and logic goes out the window. You'd have better luck talking to the wall.....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

Once he gets his mind set in a direction the blinders go up and logic goes out the window. You'd have better luck talking to the wall.....

You know your 100% right... Trying to get Dave to see the light.. is like trying to eat just one pistachio
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
rearnakedchoke

edgar would own pettis anyway .. so would gray .. clay will do the same ...