Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
mikthehick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Being a son (small "s") of God through Christ is all the self-esteem I need. Jn. 1:12, Rom. 8:14. What an undeserved honor it is to be a joint-heir with Christ!

As for psychology, it is garbage. The best one can hope for through psychology is to exchange one neurosis or mental crutch for another which society deems less harmful or disruptive. Psychology is a manipulation of one's thoughts and attention in the attempt to focus on positive outcomes. The problem is that when one's entire mind is sinful and "conformed to this world" (Rom 12:2), trying to manipulate the thinking patterns merely leaves a person in a sinful, errant state of being.

The medical industry doesn't even bother with psychology anymore. Psychiatry (hard-core neuroleptic and antidepressant drugs) is the name of the game now. They just want to drug people into a numbed-out state where they are less likely to hurt themselves or others. What a sorry substitute for regeneration!

Ooooook. I agree that your heart is in the right place, and most definietly with your Romans 12:2 verse, and definitely believe that we are sinful creatures from the moment of conceptions, but definitely do not believe that psychology is complete garbage if used in a good manner.

I'm currently a student in a Master's counseling program at a Christian school, and believe that pathological means of dealing with psyc. issues should always be the LAST course of action.

I was drugged heavily in a research hospital after being mis-diagnosed. I'm also a counseling junkie and have been in and out of thearpy my entire life for different issues, none serious, but just the normal growing pains, low self-esteem and being picked on, plus dealing with death. There are all very normal emotions in the human spectrum and some people need more help in dealing with them.

I was misdiagnosed for depression and thrown in a hospital for 2 weeks, it was the worst 2 weeks of my life, one of the scariest times of my life and I almost died. I have a pathological fear of hospitals now and have to work with it every time i go visit someone in a hospital or doctor setting.

People may look at me as crazy for admitting to going to counseling, but if they judge that quickly, then that is there problem. After dealing with what I've had to, I've learned that

1) I stand with the truth
2) I stand behind God in every way possible
3) I've learned to grow a backbone
4) Not everyone is going to like me as a person and that is ok

Hopefully one day way down the road, I will be able to practice as a christian counselor. My hope is that one day, people will not regard counseling as only for 'crazy people' and will look at it as a "helping profession" that it is. Not every counselor believes in drugging people. My last two never wrote one prescription for me. They used other techniques from the Adlerian, Existential, and Gestalt theories to get to the root of my problem, prayed with me, then utilized my coping skills into action so I could learn and grow in Christ instead of with the 'mental crutch' of drugs.

I'm not arguing with you at all, but just honing the fact that psychology isn't as evil as some people think. People are afraid of it because they may just not know.

People fear what they don't know, that's just a fact of life.