Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
if there is a minimum wage so everyone has a chance to make a living maybe there should be a maximum wage.

I think atheletes, actors, ceos and politicians are overpaid.

if the people in charge weren't so busy paying themselves there would be plenty of money to go around and unions wouldn't be necessary

what do ya think about that...

no one can make over 100 grand a year....that sounds fair, that would be a nice living
AdamT, I think you should read a little AdamS(mith). Your recommendation would almost certainly lead to less wealth and a lower standard of living for everyone.

You mentioned athletes; Do you think Matt Hughes is overpaid? If Matt is paid $250K for a fight, how does that hurt anyone?

When Matt agrees to a fight, it causes so many economic ripples, it is almost an economic tsunami. People buy PPVs. People buy tickets. Matt and his family profit, but they are not the only ones. Many, many people profit from that economic activity - ticket vendors, ushers, parking lot attendants, coaches, ring girls, concession stand workers, announcers, referees, judges, doctors, cable company employees, pubs, waitresses, bartenders, etc., etc., etc. If you limited his salary to $100K a year, he would probably retire. Why starve yourself, workout for hours on end, be separated from your wife and kids, and risk getting punched in the face or suffer an injury? When Matt gets paid his $250K, I would bet he doesn't hoard a pile of gold somewhere. He probably buys new farm equipment (John Deere employees benefit and his farm becomes more productive), invests in his gym (benefits the employees and students of the gym), goes on hunting trips (benefits hunting guides, lodges, firearms companies, etc.) and buys things for his kids (piano lessons, bicycles, etc.) It almost seems like you think it would be better for him to be at home making soap or canning jam. These activities are useful activities, but not the most productive thing for someone blessed with a unique gift. He should get paid whatever the market will bear. Don't covet his gifts.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
AdamT, I think you should read a little AdamS(mith). Your recommendation would almost certainly lead to less wealth and a lower standard of living for everyone.

You mentioned athletes; Do you think Matt Hughes is overpaid? If Matt is paid $250K for a fight, how does that hurt anyone?

When Matt agrees to a fight, it causes so many economic ripples, it is almost an economic tsunami. People buy PPVs. People buy tickets. Matt and his family profit, but they are not the only ones. Many, many people profit from that economic activity - ticket vendors, ushers, parking lot attendants, coaches, ring girls, concession stand workers, announcers, referees, judges, doctors, cable company employees, pubs, waitresses, bartenders, etc., etc., etc. If you limited his salary to $100K a year, he would probably retire. Why starve yourself, workout for hours on end, be separated from your wife and kids, and risk getting punched in the face or suffer an injury? When Matt gets paid his $250K, I would bet he doesn't hoard a pile of gold somewhere. He probably buys new farm equipment (John Deere employees benefit and his farm becomes more productive), invests in his gym (benefits the employees and students of the gym), goes on hunting trips (benefits hunting guides, lodges, firearms companies, etc.) and buys things for his kids (piano lessons, bicycles, etc.) It almost seems like you think it would be better for him to be at home making soap or canning jam. These activities are useful activities, but not the most productive thing for someone blessed with a unique gift. He should get paid whatever the market will bear. Don't covet his gifts.
Good points.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post

You know, I already think you're some kind of genius, but using Matt as the athlete example...beyond genius.

Very good points! You swayed me!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
You know, I already think you're some kind of genius, but using Matt as the athlete example...beyond genius.

Very good points! You swayed me!
Wait!!! Time out!!!! Back that truck up!!!!

I have ALWAYS thought PTM is a genius but using Matt as an example on Matt's site to a Matt fan shouldn't sway anybody!!!

I mean heck, even I could have thought of that!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

I have ALWAYS thought PTM is a genius but using Matt as an example on Matt's site to a Matt fan shouldn't sway anybody!!!

But that's the thing, I've always thought in terms of "too" highly-paid athletes being the football, baseball and basketball players. Even though I'm on Matt's site and a Matt fan, it never crossed my mind...for some reason.

Now stop coveting PTM's genius!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

But you didnt
Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
But that's the thing, I've always thought in terms of "too" highly-paid athletes being the football, baseball and basketball players. Even though I'm on Matt's site and a Matt fan, it never crossed my mind...for some reason.

Now stop coveting PTM's genius!

Even a small flame shines brightly in complete darkness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
But you didnt
Oh pipe down Mister!!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Rev

Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

If a man says something in a forrest, alone, where no one can hear him is he still wrong?