Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
so let me get this straight penn fans... If bj penn takes down and controls fitch for two rounds despite doing zero damage its great game planning... If gsp does it while making fitchs face look like hamburger while beating him up on the feet hes boring and cant finish???

just making sure i understand
It was for the simple fact nobody saw it coming, unlike with Gsp you know its coming. Gotta give credit to BJ for going in there and taking the wrestling to the wrestler.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
It was for the simple fact nobody saw it coming, unlike with Gsp you know its coming. Gotta give credit to BJ for going in there and taking the wrestling to the wrestler.
Also, BJ didn't just lay in the guard & smother: he worked to improve position & threatened with submissions.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Like I was telling my friends last night, Round 3 was bad enough it could have been 10-7 for Fitch.
A 10-7 round is not possible unless BJ had been totally destroyed AND had a point deduction at some time during the round. Neither of which happened on Saturday night. BJ was dominated during round 3, yes, but it was a 10-9 domination, not a 10-8 domination.

As Matt told me yesterday while he was doing the blog, a fight would be stopped by the ref long before the judges would be able to score that round a 10-7.

If you want to see a 10-8 domination then just watch Matt's fight with Gil Castillo at UFC 40.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
A 10-7 round is not possible unless BJ had been totally destroyed AND had a point deduction at some time during the round. Neither of which happened on Saturday night. BJ was dominated during round 3, yes, but it was a 10-9 domination, not a 10-8 domination.

As Matt told me yesterday while he was doing the blog, a fight would be stopped by the ref long before the judges would be able to score that round a 10-7.

If you want to see a 10-8 domination then just watch Matt's fight with Gil Castillo at UFC 40.
if any fight was a 10-7 it would be the first round of the maynard/edgar fight .. i scored that 10-7 ... but the judges scored that 10-8 ... i know they are two very different rounds .. based on that i could change my score from 10-8 to 10-9 for the 3rd, than i have the fight being a draw as i gave fitch the 2nd also ..
Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
if any fight was a 10-7 it would be the first round of the maynard/edgar fight .. i scored that 10-7 ... but the judges scored that 10-8 ... i know they are two very different rounds .. based on that i could change my score from 10-8 to 10-9 for the 3rd, than i have the fight being a draw as i gave fitch the 2nd also ..
Or any portion of Quarry/Starnes.

Man, I gotta go back & re-watch that fight!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Again, I don't think a 10-7 is possible without some kind of point deduction.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Again, I don't think a 10-7 is possible without some kind of point deduction.
i didn't think so either...and i never once thought that was a 10-8 round in third.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
wavetar

I just watched the fight for the first time last night. Indeed a tough fight to call. It's not a robbery or anything, as I've seen much more lopsided affairs go to the apparent 'loser' many times. I had Fitch winning rounds 2 and 3, IMHO.

I will say I don't see the point of having an odd number of judges if two of them can make a 'majority draw'. What's the point of the third judge, if not for tie-breaks? Two ties & a win in my eyes is a win, period.

That's also the most beat-up I've seen BJ from a single round of strikes...he doesn't mark easily. Fitch wasn't just giving him 'pillow strikes' as some have said, you could hear many of the shots clearly and the elbows were brutal. I've seen judges give 10-8 for less, although there's no criteria written in stone for that.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

I just rewatched that fight... yep... GREAT fight.. but too easy for Matt.. thanks for the recommendation... A buddy of mine got a "collection" of the first 78 UFCs while he was in Afganistan... for something like $10... it's awesome to go back and rewatch great fights!!

BTW.. Kalib Starnes/Nate Quarry.. was 30–24 on one judges card....

Quote:
On March 6, 2010, Starnes fought in the main event against Marcus Hicks (not to be confused with former WEC Lightweight title contender Marcus Hicks) at the 2nd Armageddon FC show in Victoria, B.C Canada. Starnes entered the ring to the children's song "Do you know the Muffin Man" and proceeded to win a very quick submission victory.

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 03-02-2011 at 12:51 PM.