Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
I don't know why but I feel like Cro Cop/Gonzaga should be higher. Frankly that fight had me literally silent. No fight before that had ever made me speechless after watching it. Even when Serra beat GSP I was cheering and clapping my hands.

I don't think that Gonzaga winning.. was "that much of an upset"... It was Mirko's 2nd (?) fight in the UFC.. and Gabe was on a 4 or 5 fight winning streak against TOUGH.. but "unknown" competition...

now the WAY that Gabe won that fight.. oh yea.. that floored me faster than Big Tim was dropped in his fight with Randy...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM

yeah i am pretty sure it is very rare if not impossible to have an upset in mma today

only when random matches are made can a true upset happen ala tourneys or

random such as joe lauzon filling in then getting the win over jens

random such as saying the winner of "the ultimate fighter: hasbeens" gets to fight for the title

but fights such as fighter a vs fighter b are never really upsets, because they make those fights knowing each fighter has a decent chance

bj beating matt is not an upset, bj is a legend in his own right, and getting beat by him is neither an upset or a mark against him

randy beating chuck is an upset???? i don't think so....
Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post

bj beating matt is not an upset, bj is a legend in his own right, and getting beat by him is neither an upset or a mark against him

randy beating chuck is an upset???? i don't think so....
At the time, those were definitely upsets.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
ufcfan2

I don't know if I could agree with Seth v Kimbo as an upset? Maybe if it would have Seth v. Kimbo/Elite Xc then maybe
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
At the time, those were definitely upsets.
Agreed. In most of the cases where you look back at a fight & say "That wasn't a upset, they're both great!", the underdog became recognized as great because of that fight.

Randy was seen as an old & washed up HW taking a last gasp at LHW when he fought Chuck. Chuck had been running through everyone & was considered the de facto champ for years since Tito kept ducking him.

When Randy beat him, that's what catapulted Randy over the top & made everyone realize he was still legit.

BJ was supposed to be this phenom at LW, but failed to get the belt twice (as I'm sure Dave will happily outline for us ), but it wasn't until he jumped up in weight & handled Matt in the 1st rnd that people really started listening to the hype around him.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2 View Post
I don't know if I could agree with Seth v Kimbo as an upset? Maybe if it would have Seth v. Kimbo/Elite Xc then maybe
Agreed. I was watching that with my friends and said "Kimbo will lose this in the 1st round." Seriously, a U.S. karate champ vs. a barbecue brawler, whatever.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
I don't know why but I feel like Cro Cop/Gonzaga should be higher. Frankly that fight had me literally silent. No fight before that had ever made me speechless after watching it. Even when Serra beat GSP I was cheering and clapping my hands.
I think a lot of people were speechless.....I know I was.

Later.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Not me. Every single one of Matt's losses has left me dead silent. Typically goes from yelling & cheering to dead silent to leaving before I murder someone. I don't know how I managed to sit through the whole of Rampage/Machida after Matt lost in Detroit.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Not me. Every single one of Matt's losses has left me dead silent. Typically goes from yelling & cheering to dead silent to leaving before I murder someone. I don't know how I managed to sit through the whole of Rampage/Machida after Matt lost in Detroit.
I cry when he loses. Literally then I get in a horrible mood. It's the worst feeling.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I cry when he loses. Literally then I get in a horrible mood. It's the worst feeling.
Me too. I've usually pretty laid back & goofy, but when I decide to really support a team or a fighter, I throw all my eggs into that basket. If they lose, I go into a combination depression/murderous rage.

It was really rough this last week: VCU lost back-to-back home games against MAJOR in-state/in-conference rival. And we didn't just lose: we got blown out by a combined 36 points. I was in an absolutely foul mood.