Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default GSP/Silva @ Dallas Cowboys Stadium?!

I would SOOOOOOOOOOOO be there! For those who don't know, Dana had promised an event at Dallas Cowboys Stadium in 2010, but I guess he couldn't promote one that was big enough. This definitely has that type of appeal and with an event this big, he'd might consider putting Brock on the same card.

My wife and I went to the stadium to watch the Pacquiao/Margarito fight back in November and that stadium is incredible! As soon as you walk in, you see those huge HDTV's and are just in awe. This would be a great place to have such a big fight.

http://www.examiner.com/internationa...er-super-fight

Quote:
Cowboys Stadium poised for other 'super-fight'

February 9th, 2011 3:15 am ET

MMA / Boxing - In early 2010, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones offered a $25 million site fee for the rights to host boxing's proposed showdown between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao in Arlington, Texas. While negotiations for that fight fell apart, Jones might instead get MMA's version of a super-fight later this year between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (28-4) of Brazil and UFC welterweight titlist Georges St-Pierre (21-2) of Canada.

PHOTOS: Silva stops Belfort at UFC 126

Like Pacquiao and Mayweather perched on top of boxing's mythical rankings, many consider the Brazilian and Canadian as two of the best MMA fighters in the world pound-for-pound. After Silva knocked out Vitor Belfort (19-9) Saturday night at UFC 126 [ Photos ], Dana White said that he wants the middleweight champion's dream matchup with George St-Pierre to take place at the $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium. [ Related: Anderson Silva defends UFC title ]

"If there was ever a fight we’re going to do at Dallas Texas Stadium, this would be the fight," the UFC president told MMAWeekly.com Saturday night. "When I saw that stadium I said ‘we can definitely do this’. It’s a great atmosphere down there for a fight." Silva vs St-Pierre is expected to take place at the Brazilian's weight class of middleweight.

Pacquiao-Clottey, which White attended at ringside at the invitation of Jones and boxing promoter Bob Arum, drew an attendance of 50,994. Pacquiao-Margarito attracted 41,734 fans. Spectators, who sat in front of the world's largest television screen which spanned an entire football field, were awed by the stadium's unparalleled sights and sounds. [ Related: Jerry Jones hosts Bush, Mayweather, Arum at Super Bowl ]

For Silva vs St-Pierre, Cowboys Stadium can be configured for 80,000 seats and one of the biggest fights in MMA history could pull off a sellout. For a major UFC event, ticket sales are typically sold out - sometimes in a matter of hours - at smaller venues.

St-Pierre defends his title against Jake Shields (26-4-1) at UFC 129 in Toronto, Canada. "Yeah, if St-Pierre beats Shields in Toronto, I think we’ll do that fight," White said during Saturday's post-fight press conference. "GSP is up next for Anderson Silva." [ Slideshow: Silva stops Belfort at UFC 126 ]

Many boxing fans no longer expect Floyd Mayweather Jr. to ever step into the ring against the "Pacman." MMA fans however are inching closer to the UFC's version of 'fight of the century'.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM
rearnakedchoke

dallas is the only logical place .. toronto would be better, but anderson doesn't want to fight in canada ... rio would be good there, but they are going there in the summer and that doesn't give enough time for gsp to prepare ...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

not knocking anyone that goes to a PPV and watches the screen... it's cool and all.. but my TV is much better than any giant screen..

I can watch it in my underware.. or drink til I am blue in the face.. I normally have the PPV parties with 10+ friends at my house or one of our friends.. and such..

It's like the people that went to the superbowl and paid HUGE ticket prices to watch the game OUTSIDE..
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
not knocking anyone that goes to a PPV and watches the screen... it's cool and all.. but my TV is much better than any giant screen..

I can watch it in my underware.. or drink til I am blue in the face.. I normally have the PPV parties with 10+ friends at my house or one of our friends.. and such..

It's like the people that went to the superbowl and paid HUGE ticket prices to watch the game OUTSIDE..
LOL... Well I'm about 50/50 on PPV's. It's rare I order them. Too much $$. I can pay $60 to order it and watch it at home or I can take my son somewhere (Buffalo Wild Wings) spend $30 on food, watch the fights in a pretty fun atmosphere and come out ahead $30.

So if it's a good fight we go out to eat and watch it.. if it's a crap card we stream it and eat at home. However not that ICE seized our main site to stream from we'll probably be going out a bit more.

Oh and BTW... if the sports bars you're going to don't have people watching in their underwear and drinking till they're blue in the face then you're going to the wrong places!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
LOL... Well I'm about 50/50 on PPV's. It's rare I order them. Too much $$. I can pay $60 to order it and watch it at home or I can take my son somewhere (Buffalo Wild Wings) spend $30 on food, watch the fights in a pretty fun atmosphere and come out ahead $30.:

Oh I totally agree with that!!! But in Detroit and here in Charlotte.. I couldn't belive home many people who were at the event.. were watching the Big Screens. I get the PPVs half off.. so .. but if I had to pay full price.. yeah.. would be much more BWW nights...

Quote:
So if it's a good fight we go out to eat and watch it.. if it's a crap card we stream it and eat at home. However not that ICE seized our main site to stream from we'll probably be going out a bit more.
ohhh... I am telling Daaaaaaannnnnaaaaa!!!!

Quote:
Oh and BTW... if the sports bars you're going to don't have people watching in their underwear and drinking till they're blue in the face then you're going to the wrong places!!!

D!oh
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

Have you been to a fight? It's not about just watching the fights, but the atmosphere, meeting the fighters, meeting other fans, etc. I haven't been to a UFC fight, but I REALLY enjoyed going to watch Pac & Margarito fight.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Have you been to a fight? It's not about just watching the fights, but the atmosphere, meeting the fighters, meeting other fans, etc. I haven't been to a UFC fight, but I REALLY enjoyed going to watch Pac & Margarito fight.

Yes I have been to several.. I was at UFC 3 in Charlotte...2 modern UFCs, (going to be hitting a 3rd REAL soon...shhhhh)..... and a bunch of BAD small shows.. and a few good ones... Pat's Center 2 years ago (??? really two years??? Amy???) was the BEST production I have ever been to.. for a small show.

I was talking about people watching the screen.. when they are right there.. don't get it.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Yes I have been to several.. I was at UFC 3 in Charlotte...2 modern UFCs, (going to be hitting a 3rd REAL soon...shhhhh)..... and a bunch of BAD small shows.. and a few good ones... Pat's Center 2 years ago (??? really two years??? Amy???) was the BEST production I have ever been to.. for a small show.

I was talking about people watching the screen.. when they are right there.. don't get it.
LOL, I see. Well, in Dallas Cowboys stadium, you don't really have much of a choice, you could see the punches and all, but the view is nothing compared to those huge TV's. Here's our view from the 1st row on the 3rd deck for the Pac/Marg fight (look at the tiny ring in the middle):

Of course, this fight had more than 41,000 people there, when you're that far away, AND you have a 90 foot HDTV, why not watch the HDTV? However, I'd imagine at most of the places where the UFC has fights, it'd be easy to see the fighters at any viewpoint. I've been to the Spurs games and there are around 18,000 people and even at the top of the stadium, it's very easy to see all the action.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 02-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Liddellfan

So who's next for Anderson Silva if GSP loses to Shields? Didn't GSP say several times before that he would need a year to properly gain the weight and that he would not return to the WW division when and if he moves up in weight? Sounds like Dana White is getting ahead of himself making fights like this.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Chuck

Quote:
In Detroit I had great seats (Thanks to Amy and Rashad!) and I still watched the jumbotron about 1/2 the time. From your seat you just get 1 angle.. whenever the fight was on the ground you almost always saw it from a better angle on the screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, I see. Well, in Dallas Cowboys stadium, you don't really have much of a choice, you could see the punches and all, but the view is nothing compared to those huge TV's.
AMAZING!!

I can hardly wait to visit that stadium someday. That screen is unbelievable!!!!

If you're ever bored PM the details. I'd love to hear all about your trip and the stadium.