Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default GSP/Silva @ Dallas Cowboys Stadium?!

I would SOOOOOOOOOOOO be there! For those who don't know, Dana had promised an event at Dallas Cowboys Stadium in 2010, but I guess he couldn't promote one that was big enough. This definitely has that type of appeal and with an event this big, he'd might consider putting Brock on the same card.

My wife and I went to the stadium to watch the Pacquiao/Margarito fight back in November and that stadium is incredible! As soon as you walk in, you see those huge HDTV's and are just in awe. This would be a great place to have such a big fight.

http://www.examiner.com/internationa...er-super-fight

Quote:
Cowboys Stadium poised for other 'super-fight'

February 9th, 2011 3:15 am ET

MMA / Boxing - In early 2010, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones offered a $25 million site fee for the rights to host boxing's proposed showdown between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao in Arlington, Texas. While negotiations for that fight fell apart, Jones might instead get MMA's version of a super-fight later this year between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (28-4) of Brazil and UFC welterweight titlist Georges St-Pierre (21-2) of Canada.

PHOTOS: Silva stops Belfort at UFC 126

Like Pacquiao and Mayweather perched on top of boxing's mythical rankings, many consider the Brazilian and Canadian as two of the best MMA fighters in the world pound-for-pound. After Silva knocked out Vitor Belfort (19-9) Saturday night at UFC 126 [ Photos ], Dana White said that he wants the middleweight champion's dream matchup with George St-Pierre to take place at the $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium. [ Related: Anderson Silva defends UFC title ]

"If there was ever a fight we’re going to do at Dallas Texas Stadium, this would be the fight," the UFC president told MMAWeekly.com Saturday night. "When I saw that stadium I said ‘we can definitely do this’. It’s a great atmosphere down there for a fight." Silva vs St-Pierre is expected to take place at the Brazilian's weight class of middleweight.

Pacquiao-Clottey, which White attended at ringside at the invitation of Jones and boxing promoter Bob Arum, drew an attendance of 50,994. Pacquiao-Margarito attracted 41,734 fans. Spectators, who sat in front of the world's largest television screen which spanned an entire football field, were awed by the stadium's unparalleled sights and sounds. [ Related: Jerry Jones hosts Bush, Mayweather, Arum at Super Bowl ]

For Silva vs St-Pierre, Cowboys Stadium can be configured for 80,000 seats and one of the biggest fights in MMA history could pull off a sellout. For a major UFC event, ticket sales are typically sold out - sometimes in a matter of hours - at smaller venues.

St-Pierre defends his title against Jake Shields (26-4-1) at UFC 129 in Toronto, Canada. "Yeah, if St-Pierre beats Shields in Toronto, I think we’ll do that fight," White said during Saturday's post-fight press conference. "GSP is up next for Anderson Silva." [ Slideshow: Silva stops Belfort at UFC 126 ]

Many boxing fans no longer expect Floyd Mayweather Jr. to ever step into the ring against the "Pacman." MMA fans however are inching closer to the UFC's version of 'fight of the century'.