Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lets not forget that while Silva is predomantly a Striker he does have a ground game!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I was being nice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Buc Nasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
You forgot about the juice.....
And Silva's injured ribs!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
And Silva's injured ribs!
If his Ribs were Broken the commission wouldn't have let him fight.
Why cant you guys just embrace the @$$ beating he received
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
If his Ribs were Broken the commission wouldn't have let him fight.
Why cant you guys just embrace the @$$ beating he received
That's not entirely true. If he was injured after he already passed the physicals the commission wouldn't know about it unless he told them. Fighters withhold injuries all the time for obvious reasons. For one, they don't want the fight canceled, and two, they don't want their opponent to know before hand.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 PM
billwilliams70
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I wonder what GSP's walking around weight is. How much does he have to cut to get to the lean 170 we see in the Octagon?

Later.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I posted this under the story about Dana White and the Japanese fighter before I saw this topic. I think it goes better here...

I would like to see a side by side picture of GSP and Silva. UFC.com is blocked at work so I can't check their height and reach right now. And I would like to know their walk around weights. At this point the UFC is going to have to do something drastic to get fans to keep buying Silva's fights, I think. I wouldn't buy a fight just to see him. I think more people buy with hopes of seeing him lose and it is starting to look like that is not going to happen with anyone from that weight class now. He just ends up being on a card with people I actually care to see fight. I actually think a matchup with GSP might be boring. Both of them are so technical. One thing GSP has going for him that I think makes him one of the few that have a chance - his focus. Even in a mega fight against Silva, i don't think GSP would get a single bit rattled. I see fighters get in the ring with Silva, engage, and then completely forget to fight smart once things get going. I don't see GSP doing that. His focus is top notch.

I don't even think making him fight GSP is the way to go. There are other options. Make him move up or do a catch weight fight with Shogun. Or Rashad. My husband is convinced Jon Jones could KO Silva. I'm not even sure about that. I do know this - I'm sick of seeing him win. His fights hold little entertainment for me anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I posted this under the story about Dana White and the Japanese fighter before I saw this topic. I think it goes better here...

I would like to see a side by side picture of GSP and Silva. UFC.com is blocked at work so I can't check their height and reach right now. And I would like to know their walk around weights. At this point the UFC is going to have to do something drastic to get fans to keep buying Silva's fights, I think. I wouldn't buy a fight just to see him. I think more people buy with hopes of seeing him lose and it is starting to look like that is not going to happen with anyone from that weight class now. He just ends up being on a card with people I actually care to see fight. I actually think a matchup with GSP might be boring. Both of them are so technical. One thing GSP has going for him that I think makes him one of the few that have a chance - his focus. Even in a mega fight against Silva, i don't think GSP would get a single bit rattled. I see fighters get in the ring with Silva, engage, and then completely forget to fight smart once things get going. I don't see GSP doing that. His focus is top notch.

I don't even think making him fight GSP is the way to go. There are other options. Make him move up or do a catch weight fight with Shogun. Or Rashad. My husband is convinced Jon Jones could KO Silva. I'm not even sure about that. I do know this - I'm sick of seeing him win. His fights hold little entertainment for me anymore.
I can't disagree more... His fights always finish well and to me are top notch entertainment. He uses Mixed martial arts.. It's captivating to see him kicking, striking, and using jj...A lot of fighters have to rely on whatever their bread and butter is.. Either tremendous striking or awesome wrestling.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I posted this under the story about Dana White and the Japanese fighter before I saw this topic. I think it goes better here...

I would like to see a side by side picture of GSP and Silva. UFC.com is blocked at work so I can't check their height and reach right now. And I would like to know their walk around weights. At this point the UFC is going to have to do something drastic to get fans to keep buying Silva's fights, I think. I wouldn't buy a fight just to see him. I think more people buy with hopes of seeing him lose and it is starting to look like that is not going to happen with anyone from that weight class now. He just ends up being on a card with people I actually care to see fight. I actually think a matchup with GSP might be boring. Both of them are so technical. One thing GSP has going for him that I think makes him one of the few that have a chance - his focus. Even in a mega fight against Silva, i don't think GSP would get a single bit rattled. I see fighters get in the ring with Silva, engage, and then completely forget to fight smart once things get going. I don't see GSP doing that. His focus is top notch.

I don't even think making him fight GSP is the way to go. There are other options. Make him move up or do a catch weight fight with Shogun. Or Rashad. My husband is convinced Jon Jones could KO Silva. I'm not even sure about that. I do know this - I'm sick of seeing him win. His fights hold little entertainment for me anymore.

GSP
Height 5 ft 10 in
Weight 170 lb
Division Welterweight
Reach 76.0 in

Anderson da Silva
Height 6 ft 2 in
Weight 184.5 lb
Division Middleweight
Reach 77.6 in
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty View Post
And Silva's injured ribs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That's not entirely true. If he was injured after he already passed the physicals the commission wouldn't know about it unless he told them. Fighters withhold injuries all the time for obvious reasons. For one, they don't want the fight canceled, and two, they don't want their opponent to know before hand.
He didn't look like his ribs were injured when he immediately jumped up off the ground when he won.

Anderson obviously has a good chin (reminds me of BJ in that) so I don't think Georges can hurt him. I think Georges will take him down and hopefully Anderson will sub him; otherwise he is just going to be laying on Anderson with little effect. GSP couldn't sub Hardy as much as he tried; he won't sub Anderson. Hopefully, they'll be on their feet long enough for Anderson to do his invisible "I KILL YOU" woo doo and the next thing we see is toasted canadian bacon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.