Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Belfort vs. Silva Could Very Well End Up Looking Like MMA's Version of Tyson vs. Ali

There are videos on the source page:
http://www.cagepotato.com/belfort-vs...n-tyson-vs-ali
Quote:
Yeah, we know "Iron" Mike and the boxing legend formerly known as Cassius Clay never fought, and we aren't saying that Vitor and Anderson are anywhere near their level as boxers, but when you break down the pugilistic styles and look at some of the past fights of Belfort and Silva, it's remarkable how similar they look to their boxing counterparts.

Whenever fans and pundits talk of the imminent match-up between Belfort and Silva, most give the boxing edge to Vitor based on the fact that he has professional boxing experience. The truth is, he really only fought once as a professional, but his win was so impressive it makes people forget that.

Contrary to popular belief though, Belfort isn't the only one of the two who has boxed professionally.

Silva, who like Andrei Arlovski and Georges St-Pierre, has spent some time with Freddie Roach honing his boxing chops, holds a 1-1 professional boxing record, meaning he actually has twice the experience of "The Phenom," yet he's still rarely given the edge in the boxing department by analysts.

Although video of the fight doesn't seem to exist, according to his BoxRec.com record, "The Spider" lost his first bout in 1998 by second round TKO to Osmar Luiz Teixeira who was 11-2 at the time and won his second fight against the debuting Julio Cesar de Jesus in 2005 by second round knockout.

Check out the video of his second fight.

It's no surprise that Silva's boxing style is very similar to Ali's stick-and-move, jab-centric footwork-based technique, since he has demonstrated the same system countless times in the cage. Although he threw in some of the same cocky gamesmanship he's shown glimpses of in MMA, his boxing was sound and his movement kept him out of harms way for most of the fight and sparring session above because he constantly circled and rarely planted his feet for more than one combination.

The question is, how will his style mesh with Belfort's Tyson-esque bum-rushing, power-based counter-punching style?

We could either witness a five-round slugfest or a short, definitive TKO victory by either of these guys Saturday night. Regardless of which one we get, it has all the makings of a classic. I don't think it's possible for this to be a boring fight, despite all of the armchair experts claiming that could end up being a 25-minute staring contest and I don't see it going to the ground. Both fighters feel that their striking is superior and each will likely try to prove the other wrong.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Chris F

Vitor is a better boxer, but htis is MMA and I think SIlva is a better MMA striker. This will e a great bout but I think Silva will take it. I hope Belfort does bu that is being ver hopeful on my part.

BTW if TYson Ali were to happen at both men's prime Tyson wins 3rd round KO. Ali had trouble finishing bulls
Old 02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
BTW if TYson Ali were to happen at both men's prime Tyson wins 3rd round KO. Ali had trouble finishing bulls
Lunacy!!!

Tyson is a bully and the easiest way to stop a bully is to stand up to him...

Ali had no problem standing up to fighters like Tyson..

Ali > Tyson
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Lunacy!!!

Ali > Tyson
Come on chuck get your head out of the sand for 5 seconds and think about it. Ali only did well against boxers he could intimidate. He had trouble beating the big bull rush type boxers. Ali won matched because he talked them to death and when the were bored to tears he'd knock them out.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Come on chuck get your head out of the sand for 5 seconds and think about it. Ali only did well against boxers he could intimidate. He had trouble beating the big bull rush type boxers. Ali won matched because he talked them to death and when the were bored to tears he'd knock them out.
I think you've played Tyson's punch out too many times!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I think you've played Tyson's punch out too many times!!!
nope I did not have anything like that when I was a kid, we were so poor we had to barrow to pay attention. At their primes Tyson has the best style to beat Ali. Look at the guys who beat him with similar styles
Ken Norton and Spinks to some extent. Sure SPinks was not in Ali's prime but he had trouble with the style. Norton broke his jaw and almost broke his will. Tyson hits a lot harder and faster than Norton did.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Lunacy!!!

Ali > Tyson
Tyson was raw, but I think Ali would have been able to weather the initial storm and stay on the outside landing shots until Tyson got frustrated. The later the fight went, the more it would play into Ali's hand. I have a hard time picking Tyson to ever win a fight against Ali unless he could somehow knock him out cold in the first 5 rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF
At their primes Tyson has the best style to beat Ali. Look at the guys who beat him with similar styles
Ken Norton and Spinks to some extent. Sure SPinks was not in Ali's prime but he had trouble with the style. Norton broke his jaw and almost broke his will. Tyson hits a lot harder and faster than Norton did.
Earnie Shavers hit just as hard if not much harder than Tyson did.

Granted, I would probably pick Mike over Earnie in their primes, but the point still stands.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 AM

it's about to start and i think i'm more nervous than both of them lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 AM
logrus

Bring on the Silva haters, what you gonna whine about now? Was it too soon, whaaa whaaa sniffles sniffles.................................

Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Miss Foxy

I would take Tyson anyday of the week that ends with a Y!! And yeah I love it.. Spider haters ain't got a damn thing to say!!