Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Why are you telling her that she should have more tolerance of others and then say that you also call people out?

If you really want to appreciate differences then you should keep your mouth shut to the ones using the bad language and teach your kids tolerance. You should be focusing on teaching your kids that others may use bad language but that doesn't mean they have to do it also. And, of course, let them know you don't think it appropriate. But you must teach them that they ARE going to hear it from others and it will be their choice if they do it or not. Don't teach your kids that you are willing to make an ass of yourself to protect them. Teach them to be able to witness bad behavior, allow others to be themselves, but to be confident enough not mimick the bad behavior.
Good point.

I wouldn't say I've ever made an ass of myself personally. Most people have no idea how to respond what someones says "please watch your language in front of my children". Then again most people don't say anything to a 6' woman. I find guys usually apologize. If someone just says one cuss word and we are around them for a very limited amount of time I don't say anything. But no way I'm sitting next to some at dinner for my family to hear GD and MF every other word.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I don't really think that this is a worlld full of Stupidity.. but rather a world full of intolerance..
I lot of times I hear people say things that make no sense at all and it is like I can't stand the thought of my kids hearing it and thinking that person actually knows what they are talking about. I was with my son when a guy in the gas station once asked an attendant if gas was going down again soon right after Obama was elected but hadn't taken office. When she said a price dop was coming that afternoon that idiot says something about "that's my boy (Obama)" making gas prices go down. No way I was letting that go unresponded to. Nothing intolerant about that. Just trying to prevent the spread of ignorance.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Taking another fellow Christian to task for sinful behavior with the purpose of holding them accountable is one thing. Taking another adult to task (because of your personal views) in a public place is altogether something different.

Foul language is subjective. What is foul to you may not be foul to someone else. In public is fair game. Don't push your standards on someone else. The offended can remove themselves.

In my home would be a different story. I don't have any problems stepping up if I feel something is getting out of line in my home. I have only had to do it once or twice because of my kids though, thank goodness!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
You just said being tolerant of another person using foul language is being a coward.
If it offends you (any person).. and you (any person).. choose not to say something about it.. cause you (any person).. don't want a confrontation.. well.. then.. yes..

Now of course I don't mean some 80 year old in a walker should verbally dress down a gang of youths.. but maybe call a cop.. go talk to a parent.. something.. to do nothing, lends to acceptance..

Quote:
Are you saying that being a coward is not a bad thing? Because I took you to mean that in a negative way.
In most situtions.. being a coward is a sign of lack of conviction.. not all.. but most...

Like I said.. maybe it doesn't come across well in text...
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Taking another fellow Christian to task for sinful behavior with the purpose of holding them accountable is one thing. Taking another adult to task (because of your personal views) in a public place is altogether something different.

Foul language is subjective. What is foul to you may not be foul to someone else. In public is fair game. Don't push your standards on someone else. The offended can remove themselves.

In my home would be a different story. I don't have any problems stepping up if I feel something is getting out of line in my home. I have only had to do it once or twice because of my kids though, thank goodness!
Tolerance is acceptance and since the bible say let no filthy communication come from you r mouth letting someone blaspheme the name of our Lord or curse like a sailor in you presence is tantamount to allowing agreeing that it is ok. So not sure why you would think it is ok for someone to blaspheme God in your ear shot. I have thrown away movies because of this. Sure I agree some words are subjective but most are not and they have clean counter parts I should not have to remove myself in an eatery because the teeny bopper next to me is trying to be cool by cussing. I will and have called them out and had them removed from my presence. As a food manager I have kicked people out for cussing. It is not ok just to let them do it especially when there are kids around.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
IWhen she said a price dop was coming that afternoon that idiot says something about "that's my boy (Obama)" making gas prices go down. No way I was letting that go unresponded to. Nothing intolerant about that. Just trying to prevent the spread of ignorance.
That's a tuffy....

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 02-01-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Tolerance is acceptance and since the bible say let no filthy communication come from you r mouth letting someone blaspheme the name of our Lord or curse like a sailor in you presence is tantamount to allowing agreeing that it is ok. So not sure why you would think it is ok for someone to blaspheme God in your ear shot. I have thrown away movies because of this. Sure I agree some words are subjective but most are not and they have clean counter parts I should not have to remove myself in an eatery because the teeny bopper next to me is trying to be cool by cussing. I will and have called them out and had them removed from my presence. As a food manager I have kicked people out for cussing. It is not ok just to let them do it especially when there are kids around.
Filthy communication? Is that just foul language or the content such as mean and nasty? Because if it includes content then you are in a heap of trouble, Chris.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
I don't really think that this is a worlld full of Stupidity.. but rather a world full of intolerance..
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Actually it's a world full of evil. The Bible is very clear on that. This is the Christianity section, thus we will discuss this topic from a Christian viewpoint. Interjecting your overly-sentimental, "can't we all just get along?" hogwash into the discussion is off-topic for this section of the forums.

Anyways, I don't think it's a tolerance issue at all and I don't necessarily see it as a stupidity issue. I see it as a perspective issue. We have to remember that those who don't believe in Christ are lost and are going to spend eternity in torment and darkness if we don't do something about it.

Just like we have to learn to have patience with young children, because they simply don't know any better, we need to learn to have the same level of patience with non-believers because, as Jesus said, "They know not what they do."

If someone is using bad language in front of you children, then you are fully within your rights to politely ask them to watch their language. However, don't let it escalate to anything ugly. If the person gets belligerent, then just make sure that your kids know that they are living in a fundamentally evil and corrupt world and Jesus Christ is the only Light for this world. Those who don't believe in Jesus Christ are going to do evil things because they simply can't help themselves (of course, believers in Jesus Christ are still capable of evil, but that's a different topic entirely and needs to be dealt with in a completely different manner).

My parents made sure that we understood that this world was an evil place and that Christ is going to return and destroy it because there is absolutely nothing redeeming about our world in its current state at all. Your children need to understand that as well if they are going to truly understand the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I should not have to remove myself in an eatery because the teeny bopper next to me is trying to be cool by cussing. I will and have called them out and had them removed from my presence. As a food manager I have kicked people out for cussing. It is not ok just to let them do it especially when there are kids around.
well said...
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Filthy communication? Is that just foul language or the content such as mean and nasty? Because if it includes content then you are in a heap of trouble, Chris.

It has nothing ot do with the tone but you are right I am in trouble because I do not say the truth inlove like I should but that is an entirely different snake to handle. Filthy communication as it would translate to our century would be foul and nasty. So words we use are morst jsu vulgarity than they are nasty and foul. Vulgarity is not alway filthy. BUt than it goes back to the argument of personal vs impossed morality. Cultrue dictate a lot of what is or is not nasty. Sadly Ameirca's culture is not a very good litmus test. We call normal way to many nasty things these days. So you have the right idea in that it is subjective, but if it offends you and most people consider it foul than you should confront. I myslef tolerate many words but I will never tolerate GD, Jesus H Christ (usd as a curse word) or words of a sexual nature. If my kids are around and put up with even less.