Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Being Christ-like In A World Full of Stupidity

I'm working really hard to being Christ-like but I find it very difficult with some people. Does anyone else stuggle with this? I'm not the type of person to just take someone's attitude or listen to someone cuss in front of my kids. nor do I deal well with people who work in customer service but don't know how to listen. I often find myself telling people "I'm hanging up before I say something ugly." or asking for the phone number of someone's manager. I can't remember the number of times I've told someone to stop acting stupid in front of my kids even though we are in public places. I wish I didn't get so bothered by the people who my exposed to last a few minutes but it is like I just cannot sit back and take crap from people. There are a number of instances where Jesus was matter of fact with people. How do you know when you are going from standing up for yourself and the atmosphere you want to be exposed to, to being a B?

(Please note I know calling ugly names even in a joking manner is not Christ-like.)
Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 PM

You're not alone; I'd say take comfort in knowing that, but....

I struggle a lot, like you say, just dealing with people sometimes. Especially when I'm in the car driving.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Sorry.. this thread caught my eye....

you could try learning to apperciate those that are different.. and having different value systems.. different view points.. If we all thought the same.. this would would be very boring.. if we all decided to say.. "that's cool.. as long as your NOT hurting me.. or others..." We could have much more fun....

Those that are offensive.. as in using language in front of your kids.. well.. after a..."Hey.. chill with that in front of my kids please..".. if they keep going... then or later.. then you have a decision to make...

I have and will call out someone in public.. friend or stanger for using such language.. but most people I hang out with, tend to have similar thoughts on the subject...

I don't really think that this is a worlld full of Stupidity.. but rather a world full of intolerance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I'm working really hard to being Christ-like but I find it very difficult with some people. Does anyone else stuggle with this? I'm not the type of person to just take someone's attitude or listen to someone cuss in front of my kids. nor do I deal well with people who work in customer service but don't know how to listen. I often find myself telling people "I'm hanging up before I say something ugly." or asking for the phone number of someone's manager. I can't remember the number of times I've told someone to stop acting stupid in front of my kids even though we are in public places. I wish I didn't get so bothered by the people who my exposed to last a few minutes but it is like I just cannot sit back and take crap from people. There are a number of instances where Jesus was matter of fact with people. How do you know when you are going from standing up for yourself and the atmosphere you want to be exposed to, to being a B?

(Please note I know calling ugly names even in a joking manner is not Christ-like.)

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 02-01-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post

you could try learning to apperciate those that are different.. and having different value systems.. different view points.. If we all thought the same.. this would would be very boring.. if we all decided to say.. "that's cool.. as long as your hurting me.. or others..." We could have much more fun....

I didn't know you rolled like that.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I didn't know you rolled like that.

doh!!! facepalm
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:

you could try learning to apperciate those that are different.. and having different value systems.. different view points..

I have and will call out someone in public.. friend or stanger for using such language.. but most people I hang out with, tend to have similar thoughts on the subject...

I don't really think that this is a worlld full of Stupidity.. but rather a world full of intolerance..
Why are you telling her that she should have more tolerance of others and then say that you also call people out?

If you really want to appreciate differences then you should keep your mouth shut to the ones using the bad language and teach your kids tolerance. You should be focusing on teaching your kids that others may use bad language but that doesn't mean they have to do it also. And, of course, let them know you don't think it appropriate. But you must teach them that they ARE going to hear it from others and it will be their choice if they do it or not. Don't teach your kids that you are willing to make an ass of yourself to protect them. Teach them to be able to witness bad behavior, allow others to be themselves, but to be confident enough not mimick the bad behavior.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Chris F

What irks me is people who throw up the intolerance excuse to justify their beliefs. The bible never says we are to tolerate sin ever. And it should be confronted at all times. The bible also makes it clear that if you do not confront those in sin and they die in that sin their blood is on your hands. So even if they are stupid people Bama the most Christ like thing to do is let them know they are doing wrong no matter how the person might take it. I have no issue when people call me out for my bluntness because they are right we should tell the truth in love and not with a spinning back fist. A real follower of Christ will not be offended by the correction and try to change.
So i think you are very Chrsit like when you are looking out for your kids. You do not have to tolerate that no matter what SPiritwalker thinks
Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Why are you telling her that she should have more tolerance of others and then say that you also call people out? .
I didn't say she should.. I said it's something to try... but what will call people out for is using fould language around kids.. it's just a bad idea.. and if you look at the people using that language.. those are normally the ones being intolerant...

Quote:
If you really want to appreciate differences then you should keep your mouth shut to the ones using the bad language and teach your kids tolerance. .
Agreed... but when others are intruding.. and being offensive to others around them.. they should be "called out"... to turn a blind eye to such things is not being tolerant.. it's being a coward.

Quote:
You should be focusing on teaching your kids that others may use bad language but that doesn't mean they have to do it also. And, of course, let them know you don't think it appropriate. But you must teach them that they ARE going to hear it from others and it will be their choice if they do it or not. Don't teach your kids that you are willing to make an ass of yourself to protect them. Teach them to be able to witness bad behavior, allow others to be themselves, but to be confident enough not mimick the bad behavior.
I do.. I teach my kids that to get a point across with such poor language is really the sign of a weak argument..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
So i think you are very Chrsit like when you are looking out for your kids. You do not have to tolerate that no matter what SPiritwalker thinks
Sorry it doesn't come across so well in text...

The Bible says many things..

Being tolerant of other religions, view points and belife systems and ways of life is hardly a bad thing.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Sorry it doesn't come across so well in text...

The Bible says many things..

Being tolerant of other religions, view points and belife systems and ways of life is hardly a bad thing.
You just said being tolerant of another person using foul language is being a coward.

Are you saying that being a coward is not a bad thing? Because I took you to mean that in a negative way.