Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Do you know how many people have made similar comments and post their views all over the internet? I bet there are post on here where I've said what I would like to do to Pelosi. He didn't make a direct threat. He was asked who he wanted to fight next and he said BO. It wasn't like he was running around threaten to choke the president out. I think it is crap that he is getting treated this way. If he made a joke about wanting to fight Bush everyone would have laughed. Kanye would have been tweeting how this guy is the best fighter ever.

You are right about the way the UFC works if your not a money maker though.
whether or not he made a threat or not, he decided to open his mouth and he got what he deserved .. it's a two way street .. who knew that interview was gonna get played on youtube and tons of people were going to see it ... just like when the dixie chicks said they were embarrassed the president was from texas or whatever ... they didn't threaten him, but opened their mouth and got the backlash .... should have people boycotted their albums and bulldozed their cd's? should they been have dropped by sponsors? i don't know .. but they opened their mouths and had to pay the price ...
Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
In another thread we spoke about the fact that if a professional fighter were to attack someone, it would be assault with a deadly weapon. (I think that's what the thread stated, could have been something else but it was a higher degree of assault).

Here we have a fighter who said, "Someone needs to knock some sense into that idiot." And he is a professional fighter and with this status, his hands are viewed as a weapon. Like it or not, you might be checked in by the Secret Service if you're a fighter and state this. They didn't haul him off and use waterboarding on him. They questioned him.

Why Barrack Obama "responding" to Matt was brought into this discussion I don't know.

We do have a Politics section. It was brought about because people don't like seeing crap like "Note to BO, Matt's opinions are WAY more important than yours (or at least to me they are)." in the main MMA sections or even the Woodshed. Especially when that section of your thread had to do with showing RESPECT given the person's title. "BO's" title is President of the United States. We can all show him some respect. Keep this crap to the Politics section as it had absolutely nothing to do with a professional fighter directly or indirectly threatening OUR President.
She said he was a UFC fighter so I guess that's why she chose to post it in this forum. The other quote she posted involved Obama also, and Matt (from 2008), and she wasn't sure if we had seen it before so she included it. She didn't bring up the "respect" thing, that was from what was quoted from Matt's blog and why Obama was asked about it back then.

As for your "crap" comment, couldn't you have just said, "I think maybe this would be better in the politics forum."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
whether or not he made a threat or not, he decided to open his mouth and he got what he deserved .. it's a two way street .. who knew that interview was gonna get played on youtube and tons of people were going to see it ... just like when the dixie chicks said they were embarrassed the president was from texas or whatever ... they didn't threaten him, but opened their mouth and got the backlash .... should have people boycotted their albums and bulldozed their cd's? should they been have dropped by sponsors? i don't know .. but they opened their mouths and had to pay the price ...
I'm glad you brought the Chicks up, RNC. I absolutely hated what happened to them. I think it was wrong. I don't think Natalie Maines should have said what she did when and where she did, but I don't think they should have been black balled/listed like they were. As to Volkmann, after seeing the interview where he made the comment, it sounds like he just mentioned Obama off the cuff intially. Don't know that the secret service needed to be involved or that he should be suspended from his job over it. People do make comments all the time about political figures including presidents. Doesn't mean a comment made calls for "consequences" especially where people lose their jobs and livelihood.

Last edited by Bonnie; 01-15-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 AM

Here's a link to a recent article that also has the video where he made the comment about Obama to Helwani:

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2011/0114/535549/

And here's another one with comments from Volkmann responding to what's happened:

http://www.fighters.com/01/14/though...?submit_foot=f

Quote:
In a new interview with MMA Weekly, Volkmann shared the following sentiments: “There’s too many people that are too sensitive out there… I guess you’re definitely not supposed to have an opinion about certain policies that effect you… Last I checked we’re not in the Soviet Union… I talked to Monte (Cox) and Monte talked to the UFC and Joe Silva, and he said they’re not upset about it. They’re with me on this one.”
I definitely think it's a case of a lot being made out of something initially said off the cuff jokingly.

Last edited by Bonnie; 01-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
In another thread we spoke about the fact that if a professional fighter were to attack someone, it would be assault with a deadly weapon. (I think that's what the thread stated, could have been something else but it was a higher degree of assault).

Here we have a fighter who said, "Someone needs to knock some sense into that idiot." And he is a professional fighter and with this status, his hands are viewed as a weapon. Like it or not, you might be checked in by the Secret Service if you're a fighter and state this. They didn't haul him off and use waterboarding on him. They questioned him.

Why Barrack Obama "responding" to Matt was brought into this discussion I don't know.

We do have a Politics section. It was brought about because people don't like seeing crap like "Note to BO, Matt's opinions are WAY more important than yours (or at least to me they are)." in the main MMA sections or even the Woodshed. Especially when that section of your thread had to do with showing RESPECT given the person's title. "BO's" title is President of the United States. We can all show him some respect. Keep this crap to the Politics section as it had absolutely nothing to do with a professional fighter directly or indirectly threatening OUR President.
If you would have read what I wrote I said I just happened upon the blog about BO responding to Matt while I was searching for the story about Volkmann so I shared it. 2nd, I am fully aware of the politics section, and this has EVERYTHING to do with professional fighting according to your own post. He is getting treated more harshly over his views because he is a fighter. So I am so sorry if you don't like where I post, but this topic is related to the UFC, politics, and fighting. And do me a favor, don't call what I write "crap". It is really rude. If you see it as "crap" don't post on it. That would be an admission that you waste your time on "crap".
Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Have you all heard about Jacob Volkmann (UFC fighter who I have never heard of) getting suspended from the UFC for making a joke about wanting to knock some sense into Obama? I looked and didn't see another post on this topic which suprised me since it has been a big story. I've looked everywhere to find out why the UFC would actually suspend him over this. I think that's stupid. It was clearly made as a joke. I can understand the school he coaches at suspending him better than I can the UFC doing it. It really ticks me off. I'd like for the UFC to stay away from becoming a Big Brother over fighters when it comes to their take on politics.

And, this is from 2008, but if no one has seen it, apparently BO responded to some comments Hughes made about him. Note to BO, Matt's opinions are WAY more important than yours (or at least to me they are). And the only person less partiotic than BO is maybe Pelosi.
I remember Barack Obama responding to Matt Hughes Blog some years ago...and I am aware of the joke said by Jacob Volkmann...I was not aware that he had been suspended from the UFC for it...and I think thats increadibly wrong. It was obviously a joke...the UFC have no right to be partisan in any way, and therefore no right to punish a fighter for his political beliefs.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:54 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
As for your "crap" comment, couldn't you have just said, "I think maybe this would be better in the politics forum."
Thanks. For a second I thought I was dealing with a forum cop - not a cool cop one either. One that likes to throw his power around and laughs when you tell them your are running late for work and says "Well your going to be really late now" then takes 20 minutes to write a ticket...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Respect is earned. I respect The Office...but I no longer have any respect for him...and this thread was primarily about Jacob Volkmann being suspended from the UFC...its directly linked to the UFC and therefore fine to be in either this section or the politics.

people...if you dont like something, dont read, dont respond. But DONT be unneedfully rude or mean.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I remember Barack Obama responding to Matt Hughes Blog some years ago...and I am aware of the joke said by Jacob Volkmann...I was not aware that he had been suspended from the UFC for it...and I think thats increadibly wrong. It was obviously a joke...the UFC have no right to be partisan in any way, and therefore no right to punish a fighter for his political beliefs.
Someone outside of the forum mentioned to me maybe the UFC has a policy where if a fighter is even being suspected of comiting a crime (a credible threat is, clearly this was not so no crime was committed) the suspend them to protect themselves legally. Also, considering how far the UFC has come in defending itself, after thinking about this some more, I can see why they would make this move to show that they do not advocate violence.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Someone outside of the forum mentioned to me maybe the UFC has a policy where if a fighter is even being suspected of comiting a crime (a credible threat is, clearly this was not so no crime was committed) the suspend them to protect themselves legally. Also, considering how far the UFC has come in defending itself, after thinking about this some more, I can see why they would make this move to show that they do not advocate violence.
Well yes...I suppose they could have that. I understand then suspending people who bad mouth them in public, I understand them suspending people who have broken the law and are in trouble...but if the Secret Services have CLEARED Volkmann...then what are the UFC waiting for?? must they really do an investigation of their own...and if so...it really shouldnt take very long at all.

The only Justification I can see is one of two things...firstly that a SAC has a problem with him. If they are terribly pro-Democrats...in which case, the UFC should simply not put him on a card in their state...OR that he's gonna get done for Conduct which in the opinion of the Management brings the UFC into disrepute...but he's not able, as a fighter, to speak on behalf of the company...so anyone who thinks what he's said must be the view of the whole company is being foolish...now maybe if Joe Rogan said something like that during a match...then I can understand...but he's a fighter who very few have taken any notice of until now

oh....and most Americans would aggree with him. its not like he's some minority view...he's probably just saying what the entire country was thinking. VERY few Americans were happy with the Health Reform...even half the Democrats.

I think the UFC will damage themselves more by drawing attention to Volkmann...they are best forgetting about it. The Secret Service cleared him, he meant it as a joke...lets move on with our lives!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks. For a second I thought I was dealing with a forum cop - not a cool cop one either. One that likes to throw his power around and laughs when you tell them your are running late for work and says "Well your going to be really late now" then takes 20 minutes to write a ticket...
I think UFC was the logical place to put it since it is a story about a UFC fighter; and after that crappy comment from him, I think you should have copied it and posted it in MMA and POLITICS too just to cover ALL your bases and make Mr. Crabby Pants happy.