Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Volkmann's newest fan / BO responsed to Hughes comments

Have you all heard about Jacob Volkmann (UFC fighter who I have never heard of) getting suspended from the UFC for making a joke about wanting to knock some sense into Obama? I looked and didn't see another post on this topic which suprised me since it has been a big story. I've looked everywhere to find out why the UFC would actually suspend him over this. I think that's stupid. It was clearly made as a joke. I can understand the school he coaches at suspending him better than I can the UFC doing it. It really ticks me off. I'd like for the UFC to stay away from becoming a Big Brother over fighters when it comes to their take on politics.

And, this is from 2008, but if no one has seen it, apparently BO responded to some comments Hughes made about him. Note to BO, Matt's opinions are WAY more important than yours (or at least to me they are). And the only person less partiotic than BO is maybe Pelosi.

Quote:
Senator Barack Obama responds to UFC fighter Matt Hughes
Last week, UFC fighter Matt Hughes wrote on his blog that one of the reasons he's voting for John McCain is that he doesn't feel as though Barack Obama shows McCain the respect he deserves.

"I want the President to be a good role model, Senator McCain always addresses Barack Obama as Mr. or Senator Obama. Barack always addresses Mr. McCain as John McCain. I like the respect value that Mr. McCain always shows. I dislike that Barack seems to show no respect for Mr. McCain. Barack not putting his hand over his heart during the Pledge also falls under the respect factor."
Steve Cofield of the Yahoo! MMA Experts Blog interviewed Obama yesterday and the presidential candidate got the chance to respond to Hughes' criticisms.

"I say two things, number one I call Senator McCain 'Senator McCain' all the time. There may be times where I have slipped in something else but generally speaking if you look at the tone of this campaign, I would argue that nobody's been more respectful to Senator McCain regarding his heroism during World War II [and] talking positively about some of the work that he's done. And in terms of that whole issue of putting hand over heart, that just wasn't the case. There was one occasion when I was singing the [Star Spangled Banner] and didn't put my hand over my heart but nobody is more patriotic than I am. My Grandfather fought in World War II and was in Patton's army. He taught me early on about love of country and willingness to serve and sacrifice for country."
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
rearnakedchoke

if you are gonna say something stupid about the president, you should at least be ready to pay the consequences ... i didn't hear he got suspended by the ufc, but they don't like bad press and if you aren't making them lots a money, you better just keep quiet and do your job, which is fighting
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
if you are gonna say something stupid about the president, you should at least be ready to pay the consequences ... i didn't hear he got suspended by the ufc, but they don't like bad press and if you aren't making them lots a money, you better just keep quiet and do your job, which is fighting
We already have my future hubby doing enough to bring bad controversy to the UFC.. lol..
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
We already have my future hubby doing enough to bring bad controversy to the UFC.. lol..

You need to have a serious talk with him about that and the fact he's now a no-show for your birthday weekend.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

You need to have a serious talk with him about that and the fact he's now a no-show for your birthday weekend.
Exactly!! Omg Bonnie you typed what I have been thinking and feeling all along! How dare him miss my birthday!! Now I will focus all my attention on Kelly or as Tyburn refers to the chap from Liverpool!!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Do you know how many people have made similar comments and post their views all over the internet? I bet there are post on here where I've said what I would like to do to Pelosi. He didn't make a direct threat. He was asked who he wanted to fight next and he said BO. It wasn't like he was running around threaten to choke the president out. I think it is crap that he is getting treated this way. If he made a joke about wanting to fight Bush everyone would have laughed. Kanye would have been tweeting how this guy is the best fighter ever.

You are right about the way the UFC works if your not a money maker though.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

funny, Senator McCain wasn't even in ww2
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
funny, Senator McCain wasn't even in ww2
Hehe. Good catch.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM

In another thread we spoke about the fact that if a professional fighter were to attack someone, it would be assault with a deadly weapon. (I think that's what the thread stated, could have been something else but it was a higher degree of assault).

Here we have a fighter who said, "Someone needs to knock some sense into that idiot." And he is a professional fighter and with this status, his hands are viewed as a weapon. Like it or not, you might be checked in by the Secret Service if you're a fighter and state this. They didn't haul him off and use waterboarding on him. They questioned him.

Why Barrack Obama "responding" to Matt was brought into this discussion I don't know.

We do have a Politics section. It was brought about because people don't like seeing crap like "Note to BO, Matt's opinions are WAY more important than yours (or at least to me they are)." in the main MMA sections or even the Woodshed. Especially when that section of your thread had to do with showing RESPECT given the person's title. "BO's" title is President of the United States. We can all show him some respect. Keep this crap to the Politics section as it had absolutely nothing to do with a professional fighter directly or indirectly threatening OUR President.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
In another thread we spoke about the fact that if a professional fighter were to attack someone, it would be assault with a deadly weapon. (I think that's what the thread stated, could have been something else but it was a higher degree of assault).

Here we have a fighter who said, "Someone needs to knock some sense into that idiot." And he is a professional fighter and with this status, his hands are viewed as a weapon. Like it or not, you might be checked in by the Secret Service if you're a fighter and state this. They didn't haul him off and use waterboarding on him. They questioned him.

Why Barrack Obama "responding" to Matt was brought into this discussion I don't know.

We do have a Politics section. It was brought about because people don't like seeing crap like "Note to BO, Matt's opinions are WAY more important than yours (or at least to me they are)." in the main MMA sections or even the Woodshed. Especially when that section of your thread had to do with showing RESPECT given the person's title. "BO's" title is President of the United States. We can all show him some respect. Keep this crap to the Politics section as it had absolutely nothing to do with a professional fighter directly or indirectly threatening OUR President.
Prior to the shooting that happened in Tucson I thought they were over doing it, but now I see the importance of security for our public/government officials. I think a lot of people on here agree with you they clearly responded with the fact they were doing their job.