Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
until mandatory finishes it is gonna stay that way too
Never gonna happen, for obvious reasons.

Quote:
if fighters were paid to win with a finish it would be different
Already happens with KO and Submission of the Night bonuses.

Quote:
maybe title defenses shouldn't count without a finish either
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

just cuz matt said the fight was boring, i don't think people are going to change their minds ... gsp is still winning in dominant fashion and people are still buying his ppv's even though he was one of the only real big names on that card ...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Never gonna happen, for obvious reasons.

Already happens with KO and Submission of the Night bonuses.

well, they pay a base salary to fight then a bonus to win, why not add a bonus to finish, or just eliminate the win bonus and only give a bonus to finish

for example a good prelim fighter might get 16 to show 16 to win, why not make it 16 to show and 16 to finish, or 16 to show 8 to win and 8 to finish

it's all in the contracts and up to the ufc

the sotn and kootn night help make the lower card fights more exciting but the guys who are pulling a flat 1/2 mil don't think about it like the prelim guys do

it's ironic that all the talk of fighters being underpaid has died down and we immediatley start questioning the heart and excitement now

but there is no easy answer

but i bet a gsp who was getting 50k to fight 50 k to win and 250k to finish would fight different than a gsp getting 1/2 a mill or whatever he got
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
but i bet a gsp who was getting 50k to fight 50 k to win and 250k to finish would fight different than a gsp getting 1/2 a mill or whatever he got
There is no sane agent who would let a guy with the drawing power of GSP sign a contract that could potentially only net him 50 grand. That's absolute madness.

At that point, we are simply trying to buy the outcome of the fight, undermining the fighters, and damaging the integrity of the sport.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM

agreed, and i think the ufc is very fair to their guys
Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
agreed, and i think the ufc is very fair to their guys
There is a fair argument that guys on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum are both being underpaid in some respects.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
I literally just read what Matt said, so it's not like I've been avoiding it.

I also never said I had a problem with anybody saying they felt GSP is boring, I just disagree, and I have said why in numerous posts.

It's also not like Matt said half of some of the hate-filled crap that gets posted about GSP. So in short, yes, you are all still haters. (but I still love you all, even those of you who hate my posts)

Matt made one of the best points anybody could make when arguing for why they feel GSP fights the way he does. MONEY...

I don't remember any of you bringing up the money, but if I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected. I know Ariel Helwanni reported that GSP stood to lose around a million dollars if he lost that fight against Kos.
I don't think we were referring to you JB goodness no you speak your mind continually!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
There is a fair argument that guys on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum are both being underpaid in some respects.
that right there is a good argument in and of itself that it is about right

the only argument that anyone can reasonably make is just in comparison to other sports, and that dog don't hunt

leben pulling 45k to lose is fair mckee pulling three months wages to lose is fair and poirer was even fair 4k + 4k is reasonable for a no namer 8k goes a long way plus his sponsors i don't see the argument

edgar 102k before bonus seems like enough
Old 01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Exactly!! That's what I was sitting here thinking.. Oh and for others to also admit they agree with Matt, but haven't said a damn thing regarding it!! But for 2 weeks we have been called "haters!" Wait I am!! I think his opinion is worth a lot for his knowledge and experience in the sport. Unlike me I am just anti-grease.
It has nothing to do with grease and everything to do with GSP DESTROYING BJ Penn and you know it.

You hated GSP long before any greasing controversy popped up.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
It has nothing to do with grease and everything to do with GSP DESTROYING BJ Penn and you know it.

You hated GSP long before any greasing controversy popped up.
True..I have disliked gsp since 11/2006!!!!!!!!!!!