Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #441  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
This is exactly my point. Things were very different back then compared to now. However, just because the current age of consent is set to 18 years old in most of the US (it's actually as low as 12 in some states, depending on the circumstances), doesn't mean that it will stay that way until the end of time.

Things have changed a lot in the last 50 years and they WILL change again within the next 50 years.
yes you are right Nate a lot of things have changed in the past 50 years and a lot more things will change in the next 50...but there will always be laws to protect children not only from predators but also from themselves as well.

Last edited by bradwright; 12-30-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Sorry...they owned slaves...can't take them, or that document, totally serious. I don't mean to sound ignorant or uneducated, it's just how I see it.

Also, saying we need an agency like the FBI is NOT saying a person agrees with Obamacare...or ANY sort of nationalized heath-care...

Which is sort of what I've been trying to say since this came up....Agreeing with some sort of centralized oversight in certain respects doesn't make you a "certified" socialist anymore than it means you "hate America" for wanting to see an agency that puts bad guys away be abolished...

See what I'm sayin? Or should I stick to Boxing and MMA?
Well JB if that is how you feel then that is how you feel. But if we ignore the document that is the root of the system you get socialism which is why we see it so much today and have seen it grow since 1865. We ignored the 10th and let Uncle Sam have more power than they should. If $$$ stayed in each state they can have better funded state officers to protect the citizend from terrorist and the like. The founders would have never wanted a national police force. Also if the gov would stick to roads and protecting our borders than we'd have better roads and safer borders.

As for the slave thing that was just part of the culture and they would have eventually stopped because of the cost. The North factories were more atroshies than slavery. You worked no stop no breaks no medical and often you lost limbs and they would throw you out the door limb in hand. The South while foolishly enslaved humans at least they saw to there every need like food clothes and especially medical care. But thta is another issue and another rabbit trail.
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Yes, I do realize that, and it almost DID tear the country apart during the civil war...

My point in bringing that up was only to address Chris's assertions about the constitution and the founding fathers. I don't think we should assume that everything interpreted by a mind over 200 years ago automatically applies to every single generation. Unless of course we are talking about God, and I highly doubt any of the founding fathers of America were, in fact, God.

The fact is, there WERE slave owners who wrote the constitution, and it IS a living document that is meant to change with the times. My only question/dispute in all of this has been the usefulness/constitutionality of the FBI...

I agree with FBI, Chris does not... what does Nate say?
JB that is what amendments are for. You can change when the culture changes. Do not use the words of tose people and twist what they meant to fit an agenda. If you do not like the thing change it, Prohibtion was a great example and hopefully they will alos soon end federal income taxes and popular election of senators
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
yes you are right Nate a lot of things have changed in the past 50 years and a lot more things will change in the next 50...but there will always be laws to protect children not only from predators but also from themselves a well.
We can only hope.... but there is no guarantee of that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Okay...I'm just a crazy socialist hippie..

Go ahead and try and hold an organized MMA event without getting licenses from the government...

ACTUALLY, I know a place you CAN do that...It's called an Indian Reservation....LOL

Arguing over the term "regulate" or "control" is silly. You know who has the bottom line say in regulation (the Government) and how it directly impacts the sport.

Should we get into how letting each state individually regulate Boxing/MMA has helped F**K up these sports? It took until the year 2000 to get federal reform that helped stop a lot of the BS that was going on in Boxing with promoters, but because everything in Washington needs to be down the letter, MMA missed the boat...

But I suppose me suggesting there should be some sort of central oversight on ANY aspect of this world would make me a "certified socialist"? I mean heaven forbid we all agreed on SOMETHING....RIGHT?
...
FACT...MMA/Boxing is run by the government, and even Dana White said so...
BTW JB you do realize those are STATE commisions and it is not the feds running it. So your point is really moot
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
why Chris when someone disagrees with you do you feel the need to insult them ?
this is usually where i would send some sort of insult back your way but i cant because Nate only reads my posts and not yours for some reason and i have been warned not to insult anyone ever again in this thread or i risk a 3 day ban....my hands being tied behind my back seems to be working out well for you though...so SWING AWAY ! !
I have been banned a few times. I was even forced to have Mark approve my post before they went out. So NateR has indeed gave me the riot act before. However they know understand I am just an overly agressive Sicilian who really menas no harm and most people here do not take my "insults" as you call them personal. It is just my way of showing you how silly you are being. Nothingpersonal intended nor implied.
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Well, Chris F can't argue without being insulting, I've just accepted that. However, he at least attempts to explain exactly why he thinks people are so stupid. He doesn't just post "Haha you're so stupid" comments without any related arguments to back them up. Besides, that still doesn't explain why you felt the need to insult adamt. You can be rude to Chris F, he can take it.
Hey I can be sensitive when you cut me do I not bleed?
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I have been banned a few times. I was even forced to have Mark approve my post before they went out. So NateR has indeed gave me the riot act before. However they know understand I am just an overly agressive Sicilian who really menas no harm and most people here do not take my "insults" as you call them personal. It is just my way of showing you how silly you are being. Nothingpersonal intended nor implied.
see Chris !...there you go again....oh brother why do i bother.
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
see Chris !...there you go again....oh brother why do i bother.
Lmao! I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A few points that I just wanted to address real quick... in no particular order....

To say that homosexuals want their lifestyle to be "embraced" is ridiculous. There is a difference between accepted/tolerated and embraced. But people tend to gravitate towards extremes in discussions to try and legitimize their argument or prove their point.

To say that gay people "know" what they're doing is wrong and do it anyway is also ridiculous. I covered this in an earlier post. Satan is the father of lies, don't you think just for a minute that this group of people living (for the most part) without Christ could be deceived? But if they're deceived then some of you would have to have mercy or compassion on them and we know that isn't going to happen. So it's just easier for you to paint them in a different light to justify your own bias.

Comparing child molesters with homosexuals? Really? Pathetic. This argument has so many holes in it it's disgusting. Two consenting adults vs. One disturbed individual preying on children? You should be ashamed.

The Constitution is and has ALWAYS been designed to be a living document. That's why we have amendments.

The FBI is necessary and vital to our Nation. Can you actually imagine the chaos if each state tried to track down and enforce laws without it? If that makes me a socialist than so be it. I'd rather be a realist considered a socialist than an idealist proven to be an idiot. Local Police/Fire/EMS can't even work calls crossing over LOCAL jurisdictions the way it is but somehow a little county in middle America will be able to deal with internet crimes worldwide or track and prosecute criminals in other states????

Ahhhhh...... I feel better.....

I just needed to get it out of my system
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.