Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 12-14-2010, 01:17 AM

Default chronicles of narnia

so nate mentioned cs lewis in the "preacher" thread and it made me think about my favoritest books ever, the narnia series

anyone see dawn treader yet?

i hadn't been to a movie in a couple years and thought i would take my wife on a date, so we went and saw it friday, they took an awful lot of liberties from the book but it was pretty good, can't compare to the lion witch and wardrobe, but it was pretty good

i do hope they'll make the others

we only saw it in 2d cause the reviews online said 3d actually made it worse, and like i said, it was pretty good
Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
so nate mentioned cs lewis in the "preacher" thread and it made me think about my favoritest books ever, the narnia series

anyone see dawn treader yet?

i hadn't been to a movie in a couple years and thought i would take my wife on a date, so we went and saw it friday, they took an awful lot of liberties from the book but it was pretty good, can't compare to the lion witch and wardrobe, but it was pretty good

i do hope they'll make the others

we only saw it in 2d cause the reviews online said 3d actually made it worse, and like i said, it was pretty good
I took my little brother to see it Saturday & we both really enjoyed. It wasn't quite as good as LW&W, granted, but it was certainly a million times better than Caspian was. thank goodness that Disney dropped it & they were able to stay true-er to the book this time. And to be honest, most of the liberties they took didn't really detract from the story. The Mist as main bad guy was a bit gimmicky, but other than that, think that combining a couple of the islands into one simply made the story move quicker (kinda like cutting Tom Bombadil outta LotRs). All in all, I recommend it.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I took my little brother to see it Saturday & we both really enjoyed. It wasn't quite as good as LW&W, granted, but it was certainly a million times better than Caspian was. thank goodness that Disney dropped it & they were able to stay true-er to the book this time. And to be honest, most of the liberties they took didn't really detract from the story. The Mist as main bad guy was a bit gimmicky, but other than that, think that combining a couple of the islands into one simply made the story move quicker (kinda like cutting Tom Bombadil outta LotRs). All in all, I recommend it.
you should review movies, this pretty well is my opinion too, i realize they have to have a plot and all, and the movie can't be four hours, i can overlook the mist and the swords and stuff

i was quite intrigued by eustace

at first he wasn't anything like i imagined, but he was a really good character all in all, completely different from what i have seen before and played incredibly well for such a young actor
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Administrator

We just watched it today and I thought it was pretty good. It did take some liberties with the story, but enough of my favorite elements from the book were intact that I did enjoy it. It's been over 20 years since I read the book, so a lot of things I didn't remember until I actually saw them in the film. This was one of my favorite books from the series (along with The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and The Horse and His Boy ), so I'm glad that it finally got made into a film even though the journey felt heavily truncated and rushed.

The kid who played Eustace did a great job and he's a pretty talented young actor which is good since he has to carry the next film (if there is even going to be a next film).
Old 12-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
We just watched it today and I thought it was pretty good. It did take some liberties with the story, but enough of my favorite elements from the book were intact that I did enjoy it. It's been over 20 years since I read the book, so a lot of things I didn't remember until I actually saw them in the film. This was one of my favorite books from the series (along with The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and The Horse and His Boy ), so I'm glad that it finally got made into a film even though the journey felt heavily truncated and rushed.

The kid who played Eustace did a great job and he's a pretty talented young actor which is good since he has to carry the next film (if there is even going to be a next film).
I agree with all this.