Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
jon fitch and other fighters at AKA didn't want to sign their likeness away to the UFC videogame because they felt it was giving up too much ... he was dropped by the UFC and then picked up again a day later when he agreed to sign it ... something like that ... here is an article ... i haven't read it, so don't know if it is 100% accurate.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?...cakafeud111908

also, when matt serra pulled out of the hughes title fight, i believe jon fitch was given first crack at that fight and turned it down .. i remember reading it somewhere .. i will look for a source ..
Thanks Rearnaked I didn't know? Thats crazy
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I like how you say "be exciting" first.

I see it exactly the opposite. Fighters need to win first, and being exciting is just a bonus. The first thought on the mind of a fighter shouldn't be, "how can I be exciting to make the fans happy?". That's a ticket to a short career.
That depends on character.

If you are exciting, and have a great character, but loose a lot...you will still be accepted by the fans.

To many fighters obsess over wins...to come to an abrupt end...coz the competative career is short and sweet. You might have to sacrifice some of that, in order to have a successful second career in the sport.

Obviously the aim is to win...but you look at TUF for example...and see which teams did the best...was it those whose Masters advocated winning at all costs...or those who along with trying their best to succeed also nurtured other skills? GSPs Team in TUF 12....Jens Pulvers team in TUF 5...I suspect you can parallel it a lot. Whereas for Penn and Koscheck its all about the win...and its the only thing that elludes them both in terms of teams.

You want to end up like Randy Couture, and Jens Pulver...where in the end it doesnt matter whether they win or not. now THAT is success...and incidently...examin the records of those two personalities...and what do you find...NOTHING exceptional in terms of long reigns, or unbeaten prowess. But they made it to the top...and then went beyond...that "beyond" you cant get from a win. You can win as much as you like and NEVER get that.

You get it from character, excitement, and fan appreciation...which comes when Fans are somehow entertained by you.

This is New Rome, JB, and we, spectators are The Mob...and if they wish to truely excell...to move from being Great...to being Imortalized...they MUST win us over....and constantly adapt to keeping our support...for we are, by nature, a fickle bunch.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
That depends on character.

If you are exciting, and have a great character, but loose a lot...you will still be accepted by the fans.

To many fighters obsess over wins...to come to an abrupt end...coz the competative career is short and sweet. You might have to sacrifice some of that, in order to have a successful second career in the sport.

Obviously the aim is to win...but you look at TUF for example...and see which teams did the best...was it those whose Masters advocated winning at all costs...or those who along with trying their best to succeed also nurtured other skills? GSPs Team in TUF 12....Jens Pulvers team in TUF 5...I suspect you can parallel it a lot. Whereas for Penn and Koscheck its all about the win...and its the only thing that elludes them both in terms of teams.

You want to end up like Randy Couture, and Jens Pulver...where in the end it doesnt matter whether they win or not. now THAT is success...and incidently...examin the records of those two personalities...and what do you find...NOTHING exceptional in terms of long reigns, or unbeaten prowess. But they made it to the top...and then went beyond...that "beyond" you cant get from a win. You can win as much as you like and NEVER get that.

You get it from character, excitement, and fan appreciation...which comes when Fans are somehow entertained by you.

This is New Rome, JB, and we, spectators are The Mob...and if they wish to truely excell...to move from being Great...to being Imortalized...they MUST win us over....and constantly adapt to keeping our support...for we are, by nature, a fickle bunch.
You aren't telling me anything I don't already know in terms of what can win the fans over, and we've discussed this a lot in the past. I realize that being an exciting fighter wins fans over, and I realize that fans can be very fickle. However, I think you are understating the importance of winning and having consistent success.

In my opinion, that is somewhat insulting to fighters and what they do. They are athletes and competitors by nature, and they all strive to be the best and to succeed every time. You don't have to become content with losing fights in order to secure a source of income after you retire from fighting. The idea to is to make enough money WHILE you are a fighter in order to be financially secure when you retire. That's why people complain so much when they see the purse amounts for some of the lower tier fighters.

I also think you are forgetting about how many fans are generated through success, and just how willing society is to overlook character flaws in exchange for success. I can make you a laundry list of athletes who are "immortalized" in their respective sports for their accomplishments even after committing horrible acts.

That's not to say that fighters can't have a good character, or "go beyond", and win at the same time. They can, and they do all the time. It also doesn't mean that losing is always a career killer, but the bottom line is that consistently losing or having a losing record in general will never offer any positives to the active career or post-retirement career of any fighter. At some point, if you wanna be a successful fighter, you gotta earn it in the cage and become a solid champion. If you lose the belt or never win that title fight, then you gotta be one hell of a contender with a theme or appeal that people latch on to.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM
atomdanger

Fitch needs to take notes and just start admitting he fights safe