Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
This is a good thing. We don't need Americans (or anyone else for that matter) pretending to be the Taliban and taking glory in killing computer rendered American soldiers.

If they removed the Taliban as an enemy due to muslim influence, I would take offense. This change, however, is fine and dandy.
So, should Axis and Allies be banned too?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Maldonado136
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

lol its a video game. those wusses.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-03-2010, 01:49 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
So, should Axis and Allies be banned too?
I don't think anyone said anything about the Medal of Honor game being banned, just a specific portion of it has been removed. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

I agree that this is the right thing to do, because:

We are still at war with the Taliban and they are still killing American soldiers!

Could you imagine Americans pretending to be Nazis killing American soldiers in 1942? They would be traitors. The same applies to American citizens wanting to play as Taliban forces today. You might not take warfare seriously, but it's a real thing I can assure you of that.

The option to play as Taliban forces should never have been considered for inclusion into this or any American-produced game.

I can't applaud EA for removing this option, because I see it as more along the lines of damage control after they caught flak for what was an ill-conceived notion in the first place.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-03-2010, 01:53 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
lol its a video game. those wusses.
So, any American who has lost a loved one in Afghanistan and objects to the idea of treating the killing of American soldiers as some sort of positive goal that people should aspire to, is a wuss?

Trying to downplay the psychological impact that this can have as "it's just a video game" shows your ignorance on the issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I don't think anyone said anything about the Medal of Honor game being banned, just a specific portion of it has been removed. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

I agree that this is the right thing to do, because:

We are still at war with the Taliban and they are still killing American soldiers!

Could you imagine Americans pretending to be Nazis killing American soldiers in 1942? They would be traitors. The same applies to American citizens wanting to play as Taliban forces today. You might not take warfare seriously, but it's a real thing I can assure you of that.

The option to play as Taliban forces should never have been considered for inclusion into this or any American-produced game.

I can't applaud EA for removing this option, because I see it as more along the lines of damage control after they caught flak for what was an ill-conceived notion in the first place.
Then why is it ok to set the time frame in the present day, against Muslim characters, in the Middle East? Besides there is no difference playing as a Tali or the AI playing a Tali. In the end NPCS will die, Players will die, and AI will die.

Hey but who cares right. Lets have Americans soldiers kill other American soldiers. I mean its not like in recent history we haven't had a shooting on a military base or a soldier hold a bunch of people hostages. Its not like we haven't had a crazed ex military blowing up federal building or nothing..

Americans killing Americans, now that's patriotic...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Then why is it ok to set the time frame in the present day, against Muslim characters, in the Middle East? Besides there is no difference playing as a Tali or the AI playing a Tali. In the end NPCS will die, Players will die, and AI will die.

Hey but who cares right. Lets have Americans soldiers kill other American soldiers. I mean its not like in recent history we haven't had a shooting on a military base or a soldier hold a bunch of people hostages. Its not like we haven't had a crazed ex military blowing up federal building or nothing..

Americans killing Americans, now that's patriotic...
LOL, you should stop trying to participate in intelligent discussions while you are drunk because you are making no sense whatsoever.

Seriously, a computer programmer creating a system of AI in order to present gamers with a realistic and challenging "threat" is in no way the same as a player striving to "kill" virtual American soldiers and getting rewarded for it. Any reasonably intelligent person can see that.

As for your last comments, they are just too ridiculous to even respond to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Seriously, a computer programmer creating a system of AI in order to present gamers with a realistic and challenging "threat" is in no way the same as a player striving to "kill" virtual American soldiers and getting rewarded for it. Any reasonably intelligent person can see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
So, any American who has lost a loved one in Afghanistan and objects to the idea of treating the killing of American soldiers as some sort of positive goal that people should aspire to, is a wuss?

Trying to downplay the psychological impact that this can have as "it's just a video game" shows your ignorance on the issue.
I agree that not everything we see in games is in the best taste, and this is something they could have avoided all together. However, I think you are overstating what's really happening though.

The games are two part games, a story mode and an online multiplayer mode. The characters used in the story mode are what they base the characters for the online mode off of, and no matter what there is always going to be "good guys" and "bad guys". When gamers play the story mode, they are not given the option of being a member of the Taliban to fight against the USA, essentially setting the USA up as "the good guys" in the game.

When people play the multiplayer modes, they are given an option of playing one side or the other to some degree, but the matchmaking is also set up at random most of the time so people don't know what team they are on. I think it's clear as to why there would need to be different characters when having team play, so that people know who they are supposed to shoot. However, by saying that the game is trying to reward people for "striving to kill" virtual American soldiers, may be taking it a step too far. Sure, there may be some twisted gamers out there who think that's funny or actually do hate America, and EA does leave the door open for this by designing the game that way, but I would also say that those people are probably like that because of some other serious mental defect and not because they started playing MoH.

Obviously, it's simply the fact that they used the name "Taliban" that ruffles peoples feathers. There have been LOTS of modern first person shooter games that are set in the middle east that nobody has complained about.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Jonlion's Avatar
Jonlion Jonlion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Posts: 1,306
Default

I think it is correct that one cannot fight as the Taliban. It is different to the Nazi's and so forth because this is a current war. I understand the issues though but logically this works and good on EA for submitting a strong supportive response.

I don't buy Gaems or movies influencing people to do nasty stuff - they are mentally ill and they would take whatever crutch was availiable to influence them.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
but I would also say that those people are probably like that because of some other serious mental defect and not because they started playing MoH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
I don't buy Gaems or movies influencing people to do nasty stuff
Who is making this argument? I never said that playing a game like MoH was going to turn normal people into cold-blooded, America-hating killers. Those people already exist with or without the game, but why reward them with the ability to live out their depraved fantasies in video game format?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Who is making this argument? I never said that playing a game like MoH was going to turn normal people into cold-blooded, America-hating killers. Those people already exist with or without the game, but why reward them with the ability to live out their depraved fantasies in video game format?
I never claimed that you said that it did. I was merely adding that extra point to my statement in which I said EA leaves the door open for that criticism by designing the game that way.

I completely understand your point and, as I said, I have no problem with that at all. There is content in all games that people don't like or find offensive, and the idea of any game that has American soldiers getting killed by the player is offensive to many Americans, no matter if it is Nazi's, or Taliban, or whatever.

I just think it's fair to put things into a greater context than just saying the game is trying to reward players for killing virtual American soldiers. The multiplayer mode is about gamers playing against each other, and the different characters are only to distinguish who is who. Nothing will actually change about the game itself, or the characters. They will simply be called "Opposing Force" instead of Taliban. I'm not even saying that's wrong, it's EA's game so it is their call, and I think it's fine that they changed it.

I understand the criticism, and it's not the first time this has been brought up about this game or other games. Still, I think it's also important to remember how many games of this nature their are, some with far worse direct messages, and how relatively minute this is when in put into context as to WHY it was included in the game in the first place. The story mode is set in modern day Afghanistan, so naturally the "opposing force" is the Taliban.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.