Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default EA Pulls Taliban From MoH Multiplayer

For those that don't know, in the multiplayer part of the latest edition of EA's Medal of Honor game, there was going to be an option to play as the Taliban (against US military). Needless to say, this got a lot of negative press. EA has acknowledged the mistake & is now chaning the Taliban to "the opposing force". Here's the statement made by executive producer Greg Goodrich:

Quote:
The majority of this feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. For this, the Medal of Honor team is deeply appreciative. However, we have also received feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers who have expressed concern over the inclusion of the Taliban in the multiplayer portion of our game. This is a very important voice to the Medal of Honor team. This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about. ... While this change should not directly affect gamers, as it does not fundamentally alter the gameplay, we are making this change for the men and women serving in the military and for the families of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice this franchise will never willfully disrespect, intentionally or otherwise, your memory and service.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
For those that don't know, in the multiplayer part of the latest edition of EA's Medal of Honor game, there was going to be an option to play as the Taliban (against US military). Needless to say, this got a lot of negative press. EA has acknowledged the mistake & is now chaning the Taliban to "the opposing force". Here's the statement made by executive producer Greg Goodrich:
Another win for the Taliban.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post

I don't quite follow . . .
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
County Mike

This is a good thing. We don't need Americans (or anyone else for that matter) pretending to be the Taliban and taking glory in killing computer rendered American soldiers.

If they removed the Taliban as an enemy due to muslim influence, I would take offense. This change, however, is fine and dandy.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

I don't quite follow . . .
I don't either unless Logrus is thinking about the whole 9/11-muslim-koran-burning withdrawal. If that's what he is thinking is, I don't feel this is the same thing...the Taliban don't win by EA changing or tweaking the game. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
This is a good thing. We don't need Americans (or anyone else for that matter) pretending to be the Taliban and taking glory in killing computer rendered American soldiers.

If they removed the Taliban as an enemy due to muslim influence, I would take offense. This change, however, is fine and dandy.
Agree

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-02-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I agree with Mike, this was a move by EA on their own, so it's not like they were pressured to do it.

However, I find it funny, because most gamers I know could care less about Medal of Honor anymore. Besides, whats the difference of being a Taliban or being a Nazi? The early MOH games are based on WW2 and it was always a popular, and laughable, feature that you had to choose between being an American and being a Nazi in multiplayer games.

Ultimately, most gamers don't care what color their sprite is wearing, they just wanna WIN by shooting people in the face....now I ask...is that so bad?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Obviously I don't speak for you, brother, but I THINK I know what you are getting at....

Why give the Taliban the satisfaction of knowing it bothers us? AmIrite?

Screw em, it's just a video game. Hell, after playing GTA and Mafia 2 I don't see how there could possibly be any limits for what we see in games. Do we take the Taliban out of action movies too?

Still, I get the point, we shouldn't embolden the idea of Taliban killing American soldiers, no matter how small it may seem. So I give EA a "tip of the cap" for stepping up and making the change. It would have been much easier to ignore it, as they did in earlier games with Nazis.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I agree with Mike, this was a move by EA on their own, so it's not like they were pressured to do it.

However, I find it funny, because most gamers I know could care less about Medal of Honor anymore. Besides, whats the difference of being a Taliban or being a Nazi? The early MOH games are based on WW2 and it was always a popular, and laughable, feature that you had to choose between being an American and being a Nazi in multiplayer games.

Ultimately, most gamers don't care what color their sprite is wearing, they just wanna WIN by shooting people in the face....now I ask...is that so bad?
So pretty much what they are saying is its wrong to have a Taliban enemy in MP. But it was fine to have the Nazi's, its fine to have the Russians, and its fine to have every other terrorist org. I guess its wrong to have an appropriate enemy in MP. But hey its cool that we are going to pit American soldiers vs American soldiers.

By the way JB MOH sold 3 million pre orders already and it isnt due out til NOV9. I think a lot of people care about it. Also a lot of players think it was stupid to remove it from MP.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Obviously I don't speak for you, brother, but I THINK I know what you are getting at....

Why give the Taliban the satisfaction of knowing it bothers us? AmIrite?

Screw em, it's just a video game. Hell, after playing GTA and Mafia 2 I don't see how there could possibly be any limits for what we see in games. Do we take the Taliban out of action movies too?

Still, I get the point, we shouldn't embolden the idea of Taliban killing American soldiers, no matter how small it may seem. So I give EA a "tip of the cap" for stepping up and making the change. It would have been much easier to ignore it, as they did in earlier games with Nazis.
Why aren't they upset with the Taliban in the campaign version fo the game.You put that thing on Insanity and they will be slaughtering your team over and over. Anyone whos played a AI team based game knows how idiotic your group mates will become.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM
logrus

Here you guys go, watch this video of the new MP game for BC2 *cough cough EA cough cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUucx...layer_embedded

Geez, I wonder what bad guy I will be playing now...