Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 PM
atomdanger

Default Cro Cop eye injury situation

Quote:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/9/19...o-pass-exam-to

Initial reports from Croatian news sites that he was out of the fight appear to have been over blown, but at the same time, the initial claims of Cro Cop and the UFC that he will be fine are also premature.

Anyone who claimed that Cro Cop wasn't hurt at all and that the stories were just empty rumors is either a liar or was utterly misinformed.

Dave Meltzer (subscription required) talked to Dana White about the Cro Cop situation:

Regarding Mirko Cro Cop, he was poked in the eye a few days ago in sparring and has blood in his eye, which looks bad. He said Cro Cop contacted the company immediately, and said his opthamologist cleared him for Saturday night's UFC 119 main event with Frank Mir.

He also said Cro Cop's doctor sent X-rays to the UFC showing no breaks and the doctors in Las Vegas who looked at the X-rays also felt Cro Cop would be able to fight, but White said as soon as Cro Cop lands in Indianapolis, he's going to be given a battery of eye tests.
eep,
sounds like it may have just broken a blood vessel in his eye?
If his xray shows no tearing or anything, I hope this doesn't effect his performance.

From Cro Cop
Quote:
"It was the very last minute of the very last round of the very last sparring," CroCop told Fighters Only staff writer John Joe O'Regan today. "We were sparring in UFC gloves and my sparring partner - who is about 120 kilos, Croatia's best thai boxer - he poked me in the eye. The pain was like... I cant even describe it, the pain was so big I thought he had blinded me.

"I went to see a doctor and he advised that the eye should be rested minimum two weeks. But I have made a commitment to the UFC and a commitment to the fans, so there is no question of backing out of the fight. I do not want to let anyone down, I know they could not find a replacement for me at this short notice and many fans have already bought tickets for the show."

CroCop is currently having to wear an eye-gauze and has a saline solution to use on the injured eye, which requires further examination but appears to have suffered a severe abrasion to the cornea. CroCop says his vision is "almost normal" from the eye and "I hope it could be back to normal in a week".
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Hughes fanboy

I hope it doesn't affect his fight.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 AM

I had two scratched corneas and they do heal pretty quick. I want him to beat Mir fair and square!

[
Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 AM
Hughes fanboy

What I don't understand is why this is publicized?

If it isn't going to be an issue in time for the fight, why bring it up?

Or maybe they borrowed an item from the "BJ Penn school of excuses for losing handbook(c)" since it seems to most that Mir will win this one

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post

Or maybe they borrowed an item from the "BJ Penn school of excuses for losing handbook(c)" since it seems to most that Mir will win this one
Croatian news broke the story when cro cop was at the ER
Old 09-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post

LOL I really like your way of thinking VIZION But I hope its a good fight. I like both guys.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0