Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 AM
County Mike

I think it's stupid to say BJ is not a world class fighter. He lost two fights in a row. Big deal. He's also beaten some of the best in the world at several weight classes.

I understand supporting Matt but to downplay BJ's skill as a fighter is wrong. It also makes Matt's victory look less impressive.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I think it's stupid to say BJ is not a world class fighter. He lost two fights in a row. Big deal. He's also beaten some of the best in the world at several weight classes.

I understand supporting Matt but to downplay BJ's skill as a fighter is wrong. It also makes Matt's victory look less impressive.
i don't think anyone is doubting he has skills, but when someone is 5-5 in their last 10, yet his fans still speak like he is the greatest fighter on the planet, well, something just isn't adding up ...
Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
This is gonna be the best fights we've seen in the Palace since Ron Artest beat up those fans.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

Agreed.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i don't think anyone is doubting he has skills, but when someone is 5-5 in their last 10, yet his fans still speak like he is the greatest fighter on the planet, well, something just isn't adding up ...
who was saying he was the greatest fighter in the world? Up until the loss to Edgar he was the greatest LW in the world and even with the losses he is still the greatest LW ever IMO.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
Edgar took Bj down like 5 times in the last fight.... He didnt really even struggle for them either.. This is a 145 pounder who matt veach was throwing around and out wrestling before getting tagged with a combination.
I agree that Edgar took him down easily but I think a lot of that had to do with Edgar's speed. BJ was so focused on trying to counter Edgar when Edgar came in that it left BJ open for takedowns.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I'm just gonna get this clarification out of the way eral quick: who would you be rooting for?

I figure you need to answer here & now, then put that response in your sig as evidence for when the debates start getting heated!
If you have to ask then you already know
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
atomdanger

Not excited for this fight, two reasons.

1. Huge BJ Penn fan
2. Look how Matt has looked his last 2 times out, and how BJ has,
that and how the last fight went... no reason at all to think BJ has a chance.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Not excited for this fight, two reasons.

1. Huge BJ Penn fan
2. Look how Matt has looked his last 2 times out, and how BJ has,
that and how the last fight went... no reason at all to think BJ has a chance.
I agree that Matt looked great against Almeida but I dont really think the Renzo fight says anything about how this fight will turn out. Renzo had not fought in 3 years, in all honesty that was an easy win for Matt. Also, BJ looked fine in the first fight with Edgar. He lost but it was a close fight that a lot of people think he won. It was only his last fight that Edgar made him look bad and that was mostly because BJ could not keep up with Edgar's speed. No other fighter is going to be able to do that to BJ Penn. As for their last fight, it was a great fight up until BJ broke his rib, I would expect this fight to be just as good.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I agree that Matt looked great against Almeida but I dont really think the Renzo fight says anything about how this fight will turn out. Renzo had not fought in 3 years, in all honesty that was an easy win for Matt. Also, BJ looked fine in the first fight with Edgar. He lost but it was a close fight that a lot of people think he won. It was only his last fight that Edgar made him look bad and that was mostly because BJ could not keep up with Edgar's speed. No other fighter is going to be able to do that to BJ Penn. As for their last fight, it was a great fight up until BJ broke his rib, I would expect this fight to be just as good.
I don't think BJ looked fine in the first Edgar fight at all,
he was slow, unmotivated and off his game.
Hell, he was training 3x a week for the Edgar rematch.

I will be shocked if BJ puts up much of a fight at this point,
he doesn't seem to have the heart and drive it takes.....