Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Yeah, but Matt would have to fight Hallman and totally destroy him twice to even the score. Sure, the UFC might be able to sell this fight once, but can they sell it twice? Even if they did, Matt and Hallman would still be 2-2. So Matt would have to actually fight him a third time to come out ahead. I'm not sure if I want to see Hughes/Hallman 1, 2 and 3. Especially when Matt has much bigger fish to fry.
I disagree. Everyone knows Matt has spoke of retirement in the near future. Can you imagine how the UFC could market this? They are going to sell it as Matt's first ever loss, and conveniently leave out the fact he was beat twice because Hallman isn't a huge name as Hughes. Matt would be 1-2 sure, but it's maintaining his winning legacy in recent times that matters now. Hallman is only a pawn in which to market another fight for Matt. It will happen. I can almost guarantee it if Hallman either beats Karo or loses to a close decision.

I'd like to see Matt fight Karo too, so that also may be an option. I believe Karo has called Matt out in the past.
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I disagree. Everyone knows Matt has spoke of retirement in the near future. Can you imagine how the UFC could market this? They are going to sell it as Matt's first ever loss, and conveniently leave out the fact he was beat twice because Hallman isn't a huge name as Hughes. Matt would be 1-2 sure, but it's maintaining his winning legacy in recent times that matters now. Hallman is only a pawn in which to market another fight for Matt. It will happen. I can almost guarantee it if Hallman either beats Karo or loses to a close decision.
I certainly hope this is the case. How does a nobody coming off a loss deserve to be put in the same sentence as a 9x former champion on a 3 fight win streak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I'd like to see Matt fight Karo too, so that also may be an option. I believe Karo has called Matt out in the past.
Now that I wouldn't mind seeing. Karo was supposed to get a title shot way back when but got injured (it was during recovery from this injury that he got hooked on the pain pills that got him in trouble with the commissions & the UFC). I'd like to see Matt smash him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
How does a nobody coming off a loss deserve to be put in the same sentence as a 9x former champion on a 3 fight win streak?
How did Mark Coleman earn a fight with randy Couture?
To me there is more justice for Hughes v Hallman than that.
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
How did Mark Coleman earn a fight with randy Couture?
To me there is more justice for Hughes v Hallman than that.
Well that's like saying there's more justice in Barak being President than Michelle: they're both bad choices!

Seriously, I have no doubt that you're right about one thing: if Hallman wins, Dana will want to set that up. It's a win-win in his mind: he gets to have one of his best friends & most loyal employees avenge a loss while not tying up any top-tier fighters against a competitor that could beat them & possibly ruin title shots.

That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that from a "pure" (i.e. academic, not business) standpoint, this fight is a bad idea, IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Jonlion's Avatar
Jonlion Jonlion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Posts: 1,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Wrong. Dana can market this fight HUGELY. If Dennis gets past Karo I think it is inevitable.

MMA is all about Dramma - stats are stats but dramma sells fights.

I guess you are right - on the provisio that Hallman beats Karo - it could generate interest. However i want it to be that by Matt beating Hallman it puts more weight for him to get to the title.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
I guess you are right - on the provisio that Hallman beats Karo - it could generate interest. However i want it to be that by Matt beating Hallman it puts more weight for him to get to the title.
Look, GSP is reigning right now...it's unlikely Matt will get a 4th shot at him, so unless GSP is taken out (which I don't think is likely to happen probably till late next year) what else is Matt going to do?

Make entertaining fights.

This fight has a backstory that is far more compelling than Matt vs. Swick, or Fitch, or Kampmann, or Condit...Matt has a score to even...I wanna see it happen. After that happens God knows when, the door may be open for a title shot again.
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
BJs PJs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'd rather see Karo kick Hallmans ass and Hughes get given the fight he was supposed to have all those years ago against Parisyan.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJs PJs View Post
I'd rather see Karo kick Hallmans ass and Hughes get given the fight he was supposed to have all those years ago against Parisyan.
I agree. I don't see a Hallman vs Hughes fight happening anytime soon. Matt accomplished too much after those loses for them to even be a factor in his legacy.
I still want to see Gomi vs Penn in the near future.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.