Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 AM
Rochambeau

Default NHL games.

Whether it be the EA series or the 2K series, I think that they're both a lot of fun. Sadly, NHL 2K11 has only been released on the Wii and App store. The good thing about this now is that I won't have a hard time choosing between the EA game or the 2K game (though I could get the 2K game on the iphone).

One thing that I really like is the fighting and I think that EA do a better job with that. You can only have 3 fights per game and I usually have all 3 in the 1st period.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
matthughesfan21

the 2k series on the xbox and ps3 systems is garbage...They moved it exclusively to wii and apps because it couldn't keep up with EA...The EA NHL series has turned into the top of the line for sports gaming(More people play Madden, NHL wins more awards)

EA has come out with NHL Slapshot for the Wii, it comes with an actual wii-motion stick....I'd stay away from the 2k series at all costs....NHL 11 is amazing though, they have a brand new physics engine...Love it
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
the 2k series on the xbox and ps3 systems is garbage...They moved it exclusively to wii and apps because it couldn't keep up with EA...The EA NHL series has turned into the top of the line for sports gaming(More people play Madden, NHL wins more awards)

EA has come out with NHL Slapshot for the Wii, it comes with an actual wii-motion stick....I'd stay away from the 2k series at all costs....NHL 11 is amazing though, they have a brand new physics engine...Love it
I like Madden way better than the NHL series, but that's just my opinion. Both games have been around since the late 80's early 90's, both share a lot of the same features, and both helped make EA as big as it is today. A lot of the GOTY awards are made out of thin air, so they don't mean all that much.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Rochambeau

Well, the EA NHL games do play fantastically and for somebody that may not follow either sport, I think it's more likely that they'll enjoy the NHL games more than the Madden games.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochambeau View Post
Well, the EA NHL games do play fantastically and for somebody that may not follow either sport, I think it's more likely that they'll enjoy the NHL games more than the Madden games.
You are right, and it's because NH: is very "pick up and play".

For somebody who knows nothing about the sport they can pick up NHL and the concept is simple; Keep moving around and shoot the little black dot into the goal.

Football is largely a game of strategy and understanding how to read schemes and Madden requires a lot of strategy that people unfamiliar with Football just don't understand.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You are right, and it's because NH: is very "pick up and play".

For somebody who knows nothing about the sport they can pick up NHL and the concept is simple; Keep moving around and shoot the little black dot into the goal.

Football is largely a game of strategy and understanding how to read schemes and Madden requires a lot of strategy that people unfamiliar with Football just don't understand.
That's not the case at all...Sure you can just shoot everytime you get the puck, but I doubt you will get a goal...I mean I guess that's the strategy if your playing other people who have no idea how to play, but that can go for madden as well. Just throw long balls all game

but if you are playing good people, you have to know strategy and alot about the sport. The controls aren't very easy for a newbie either unless you are using the classic controls...The default controls are fantastic if you are familiar with the game, but its tricky if you are just starting out...Deking, evasive skating, pursuit, and passing plays(multiple passes to set up a scoring opportunity) are not things that a new player will be any good at. I've played friends who just have that "shoot the little black dot at the goal" approach. and I use actual game strategy and win 15-0...If I play someone who knows how to play, it could be 3-2.....The same can be said for madden...2 newbies playing each other could score 40 each, 1 newbie and 1 expert, the expert wins by 50...2 experts, it could be 10-7
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I like Madden way better than the NHL series, but that's just my opinion. Both games have been around since the late 80's early 90's, both share a lot of the same features, and both helped make EA as big as it is today. A lot of the GOTY awards are made out of thin air, so they don't mean all that much.
I like both games...But i only play madden against a friend...I'll play NHL from sunrise to sunset
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Rochambeau

The goal isn't very big and the goalkeepers ARE! It's hard to throw the goalkeeper off sometimes and perfectly timed passes are so often needed and the defenders so often are there to intercept passes. The great thing is that you get so many chances and take so many shots at goal.

Sorry, I have to cut this short as I have to go somewhere!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochambeau View Post
The goal isn't very big and the goalkeepers ARE! It's hard to throw the goalkeeper off sometimes and perfectly timed passes are so often needed and the defenders so often are there to intercept passes. The great thing is that you get so many chances and take so many shots at goal.

Sorry, I have to cut this short as I have to go somewhere!
if you are on a breakaway, deke to your backhand and then quickly to your forehand and go top shelf...Thats hard for alot of goalies to anticipate and adjust too...one timers tend to work but you have to set it up, you usually can't just skate down like a bat out of hell and pass across because it will likely be intercepted...You gotta bait the defender....another good way to beat the goalie is pass it back to a Dman and have him take a slapshot with traffic in front of the net, either the goalie's vision will be blocked and he will not make the save, or a forward could deflect it and misdirect it past the goalie, or the goalie could make a save but then your forwards are there to shoot off the rebounds
Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
That's not the case at all...Sure you can just shoot everytime you get the puck, but I doubt you will get a goal...I mean I guess that's the strategy if your playing other people who have no idea how to play, but that can go for madden as well. Just throw long balls all game

but if you are playing good people, you have to know strategy and alot about the sport. The controls aren't very easy for a newbie either unless you are using the classic controls...The default controls are fantastic if you are familiar with the game, but its tricky if you are just starting out...Deking, evasive skating, pursuit, and passing plays(multiple passes to set up a scoring opportunity) are not things that a new player will be any good at. I've played friends who just have that "shoot the little black dot at the goal" approach. and I use actual game strategy and win 15-0...If I play someone who knows how to play, it could be 3-2.....The same can be said for madden...2 newbies playing each other could score 40 each, 1 newbie and 1 expert, the expert wins by 50...2 experts, it could be 10-7
You are misinterpreting what I am saying. NHL is a game that people pick up and play and can find exciting because it's more directly focused on gameplay. I never said there was no strategy involved in NHL, but it's nothing like Madden. You can't just throw long balls all game long in Madden, because even against an amateur you will end up getting burned. You still need to know how to mix up your strategy. By default, Football is a game that requires more strategy time than Hockey, it's not a slight against Hockey it's just how it is.

I'm not just saying that either, I have actually owned or extensively played just about every single EA sports game in existence going back to Madden and NHL 94. I realize the new controls in NHL are more detailed, but the game moves a lot faster and is more constant action than Madden is, so naturally more "gamers" are going to find that appealing. Thats exactly why this years Madden is leaner and focused on cutting the game times down and giving more exciting action on the field than in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I like both games and I'm pretty much into any EA Sports game, but I just prefer Madden over NHL in terms of personal enjoyment. I also think Madden's dynasty mode is more fun than NHL's, although they got better last year with the "Be a GM" mode.