Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I hear ya, Bonnie...that's why I had to put PTM on the rack...

I got a huge laugh out of that!!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
Yes! I thought it was just a rash from shaving, but the doc did a culture on it and said it was staph. And when I spoke with him on the phone he said she probably got it from shaving. Never in my life have I known of someone who got staph from shaving! Unbelieveable!!!!!

AND the kicker is that she is UBER-CLEAN!!!!!! She showers all the time, she cleans like a mad woman ( because she is OCD) and it was hard to get her to use razors more than once BEFORE this!!! ( And she would soak the razors in alcohol to prevent bacteria) NOW I'm going to need to own stock in a razor company!

She may have to go with waxing for her underarms and legs. Or laser hair removal if you win the lottery.

This doesn't mean she's dirty. Not at all. I'm so sorry your poor girls are dealing with this. It's an age when they are already having ambivalent feelings about their bodies.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Also, Donna, I wanted to mention that sometimes being too clean is the problem with staph infections. We have naturally occuring good bacteria all over our skin. It serves a purpose and as long as it colonizes correctly, there is no room for bad bacteria to grow. If the good bacteria is killed off for some reason, the bad bacteria can overgrow and cause problems. It's similar to needing to eat yogurt when you take antibiotics. You kill the good digestive and urinary tract bacteria so the bad stuff can take hold and you get a UTI, yeast infection, or have diarrhea.

I would only use antibacterial soap in the house if your doctor wants you to. Otherwise, just plain old cheap soap works best in all situations. This goes for everyone. We do not need to kill ALL bacteria. We are actually harming our immune systems by using antibacterial soaps too often. Healthcare workers and caregivers are the only exceptions I make to this rule. (or if you just rolled with some nasty dude that has a suspicious spot on his skin....)

Ok, I just wanted this out there.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 PM
pistol-pete

I have wrestled and coached wrestling for the past 20 years, and I have never gotten staff, maybe because we wash the mats everyday before practice, keep street shoes off the mat, and do skin checks at least once a week. Sure I have gotten other skin infections like ringworm, but that is the extent. I was training in BJJ and MMA at a local gym in my hometown and I was thinking that they would wash the mats and keep the cleanliness up to the standards I was used to with wrestling, boy was I wrong. They had no clue and they would maybe wash the mats once or twice a month.

I was grossed out and I brought it up to the owner/instructor and he pointed to the mop bucket and told me to go right ahead. I thought it was ridiculous since I was paying for not only the instruction but the facility as well, but I went to the bucket and I do believe it was filled with water, and only water.

I didn't stay much longer. I have a couple of buddies who still train there, and staph is quite common at this gym.

Staph is disgusting
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-pete View Post
I have wrestled and coached wrestling for the past 20 years, and I have never gotten staff, maybe because we wash the mats everyday before practice, keep street shoes off the mat, and do skin checks at least once a week. Sure I have gotten other skin infections like ringworm, but that is the extent. I was training in BJJ and MMA at a local gym in my hometown and I was thinking that they would wash the mats and keep the cleanliness up to the standards I was used to with wrestling, boy was I wrong. They had no clue and they would maybe wash the mats once or twice a month.

I was grossed out and I brought it up to the owner/instructor and he pointed to the mop bucket and told me to go right ahead. I thought it was ridiculous since I was paying for not only the instruction but the facility as well, but I went to the bucket and I do believe it was filled with water, and only water.

I didn't stay much longer. I have a couple of buddies who still train there, and staph is quite common at this gym.

Staph is disgusting
Agreed. It's pretty crazy.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Old 09-04-2010, 01:53 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Also, Donna, I wanted to mention that sometimes being too clean is the problem with staph infections. We have naturally occuring good bacteria all over our skin. It serves a purpose and as long as it colonizes correctly, there is no room for bad bacteria to grow. If the good bacteria is killed off for some reason, the bad bacteria can overgrow and cause problems. It's similar to needing to eat yogurt when you take antibiotics. You kill the good digestive and urinary tract bacteria so the bad stuff can take hold and you get a UTI, yeast infection, or have diarrhea.

I would only use antibacterial soap in the house if your doctor wants you to. Otherwise, just plain old cheap soap works best in all situations. This goes for everyone. We do not need to kill ALL bacteria. We are actually harming our immune systems by using antibacterial soaps too often. Healthcare workers and caregivers are the only exceptions I make to this rule. (or if you just rolled with some nasty dude that has a suspicious spot on his skin....)

Ok, I just wanted this out there.

~Amy

Thanks Amy. I'm sorry that I haven't responded........it's been a crazy week.

The doctor called and Jessica does indeed still have the infection under her arms but the nose culture was negative. So another round of antibiotics and she should be okay.

Thank you for the advice!!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
Thanks Amy. I'm sorry that I haven't responded........it's been a crazy week.

The doctor called and Jessica does indeed still have the infection under her arms but the nose culture was negative. So another round of antibiotics and she should be okay.

Thank you for the advice!!!!!
I'm glad that the nasal culture was negative. That's good news. Now tell her to grow some good bacteria in her pits. She'll probably be mortified.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I'm glad that the nasal culture was negative. That's good news. Now tell her to grow some good bacteria in her pits. She'll probably be mortified.

~Amy

I can't wait to use that! Priceless!!!!