Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
TheConcretekid

Default Rory Markham Fought Dan Hardy With Collapsed Lung

Miletich fighter Rory Markham had a pretty bad weight cut to get to 170, bad enough to cause organ damage.

Sam Sheridan says:

Quote:
“After the knock-out, he got x-rayed, and the Doc said "Can I X-ray your chest, it looks weird"?" and Rory said sure, and they said "You have a collapsed lung." He had to stay in London 2 days for observation, and I think he's got 120 day medical suspension.

“The only thing he said to me was "That was the worst weight cut I've ever done...I know what hell is like."

Fightlinker Reports:

Quote:
I’m sure there’s going to be people out there saying that Markham is a real WARRIOR for getting into the cage in such a condition, but I just think he ****ed up his cut and that’s nothing to be impressed with. It only takes one dude cutting too hard and suffering a serious injury in the cage to set everything back ten years … if it doesn’t kill the sport outright.

And Zak Woods is skeptical:

Quote:
It is important to remember when these fighters describe an injury to take it with a grain of salt. They are not medical professionals nor are they describing the severity of the injury they are classifying. It's akin to saying, I have a broken toe, when the break is a small chip off the end, versus explaining, that I have a fractured third metatarsal which will require screws in order to set the bone to heal. It is in the specifics and description of an injury, not some medical term that is simply thrown out there, that we discover what type of damage has actually been done to a fighter.