Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Rev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Actually, the way I read your post is nothing but hating on boxing.

You start it off by repeating the word "lame" three times.

Boxers are not "the ones claiming they can beat up any MMA artist"...that is a fallacy. James Toney does not speak for all of Boxing. In fact, none of his peers in Boxing cared to get behind him last night, and for good reason.

I could address the rest of your post, but it really is just a hatefest on Boxing and I don't feel like typing a book this morning to explain how awesome Boxing is. It's nothing personal, as I hope you know, but it does bother me when people disrespect Boxing just like it bothers me when boxing fans hate on MMA.
Actually, I think Floyd was the one who got that ball rolling.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Actually, I think Floyd was the one who got that ball rolling.
That is another giant misconception

Nobody likes to talk about Dana White calling Floyd out....no...let's not mention that...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Actually, the way I read your post is nothing but hating on boxing.

You start it off by repeating the word "lame" three times.

Boxers are not "the ones claiming they can beat up any MMA artist"...that is a fallacy. James Toney does not speak for all of Boxing. In fact, none of his peers in Boxing cared to get behind him last night, and for good reason.

I could address the rest of your post, but it really is just a hatefest on Boxing and I don't feel like typing a book this morning to explain how awesome Boxing is. It's nothing personal, as I hope you know, but it does bother me when people disrespect Boxing just like it bothers me when boxing fans hate on MMA.

understood

i should do better, and will, i shouldn't hate so much on boxing when i know so little about it,







but, do you think ANY boxer could beat any current ufc champ in their respective wieght classes in a mma match? how about street fight?


matt hughes versus muhammed ali in the octagon.... who wins????

in a street fight??

like i said, boxers are truly one dimensional

cung le, used to be a kickboxer, but he evolved into a mmartist, if he stayed a kickboxer he would have been as obsolete as toney

if a boxer wants to fight in mma, he will have to evolve into a mmartist, because like i said, no boxer can beat a legit mma fighter, but then it would not be boxer vs mma

so i guess i agree it's apples to oranges, as i am typing, i think i have understood the problem at hand, if mayweather fought gsp, it could be boxing vs mma, or it could be a former boxer turned mma vs mma, which is a big difference, and last night it was boxing vs mma, by the boxers own propaganda

but boxing vs mma, mma wins everytime

now if you took boxing vs wrestling only, or jj only, it would be an interesting matchup

in fact that would be interesting, someone who can only strike vs someone who can only grapple..... who wins? say a prime royce vs a prime pacquiano or whatever his name is
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
but, do you think ANY boxer could beat any current ufc champ in their respective wieght classes in a mma match? how about street fight?
Street fights and MMA are as different as MMA and Boxing...it's apples and oranges.

Quote:
matt hughes versus muhammed ali in the octagon.... who wins????
I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous question that you only ask in an effort to try and degrade the sport of Boxing and one it's greatest legends. Notice I said "SPORT", because thats what Boxing and MMA are. They are different sports with different rule-sets.

Also, for the record, Ali did take part in a modified version of an MMA fight against Antonio Inoki and he got his legs kicked to death in what was a joke of a fight.


Quote:
like i said, boxers are truly one dimensional

cung le, used to be a kickboxer, but he evolved into a mmartist, if he stayed a kickboxer he would have been as obsolete as toney

if a boxer wants to fight in mma, he will have to evolve into a mmartist, because like i said, no boxer can beat a legit mma fighter, but then it would not be boxer vs mma

so i guess i agree it's apples to oranges, as i am typing, i think i have understood the problem at hand, if mayweather fought gsp, it could be boxing vs mma, or it could be a former boxer turned mma vs mma, which is a big difference, and last night it was boxing vs mma, by the boxers own propaganda
There are lots of MMA fighters who are one dimensional, whats your point?

Before you mentioned that boxing is a horrible spectator sport. A lot of people would say the same about MMA. A lot of people don't find grappling to be very exciting. In fact, a lot of fans do nothing but complain when MMA fights don't end in knockouts or submissions. Hell, the friggin RULES of MMA are designed to cater to strikers because thats what people want to see. When two guys are at a stalemate on the ground, they stand them up to appease the fans.

You say this was "Boxing vs MMA" by "the boxer's own propaganda"...yet you fail to mention that it was the UFC who labeled it as Boxing vs MMA in their promotional campaign. This was an MMA match, not "boxing vs mma".

Quote:
but boxing vs mma, mma wins everytime

now if you took boxing vs wrestling only, or jj only, it would be an interesting matchup

in fact that would be interesting, someone who can only strike vs someone who can only grapple..... who wins? say a prime royce vs a prime pacquiano or whatever his name is
Yeah, tell that to Tim Sylvia...he got his clock cleaned in 9 seconds by a washed up boxer. Although I suppose that was a fluke, right?

How can you actually say it would need to be "boxing vs wrestling" or "boxing vs jiu-jitsu" to be interesting? That is EXACTLY what we saw last night. One skill set vs another. It's not like Randy came out and used a myriad of MMA styles to outclass James Toney. He used ONE style, wrestling. Have you EVER seen Randy shoot for a double leg on somebody in 15 seconds? NO you haven't, but that's exactly what he had to do be sure that Toney didn't put his hands on him because Randy understood and respected how dangerous a guy like Toney is, unlike many of the "boxing sucks" crowd.

Lastly, in all these hypothetical matchups you keep describing you dont see that there are some serious weight and size differences. Regardless of that though, you also need to take each fighter and look at them individually. A fighter like Floyd Mayweather Jr is a talented Boxer but his style isn't one that would translate well into MMA. Similar to James Toney, Floyd is a counter-puncher and not somebody who constantly pushes forward while attacking. A guy like Manny Pacquiao has knockout power in both hands and can throw over a 1200 punches without breaking a sweat. A guy like that is very dangerous in a sport with 4oz gloves. Another misconception by boxing haters is that they fight with pillows on their hands so guys don't get hurt as badly, and that couldnt be further from the truth. Boxing gloves are designed to protect a fighters hands, not the other guy's head. It's why Boxers are actually more conditioned to taking punches than MMA fighters are. In boxing, you don't have the same kind of stoppages you do in MMA, guys actually take a more prolonged beating to the head. You don't see guys get one punch KO'd in Boxing as often as you do in MMA, and that alone gives high level boxers an advantage right from the get go.

If you took a high level boxer who is younger and properly trained him in the ground game he could be a wrecking machine. For instance, somebody like David Haye, who has been training in MMA for years. I would love to see what a guy like Haye could do at 205. However, on the flip side, there are hardly any high level MMA fighters who could make the transition to Boxing and be successful. Even Anderson Silva was mediocre at best in his few boxing matches.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

lets see, should i rile up jb anymore or not


















jk....

you have good points, and they're well taken, i concede

didn't realize how much you loved boxing.... you have defended it well

i much rather been with ya than again' ya
so don't get too mad at me
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default



I'm not mad at all brother, I just like to set the record straight on some misconceptions.

I love talking about both sports, and I have been into Boxing basically my entire life. Both sports are full of warriors, jokers, and shadiness.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.