Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Red face blessssssssssss....how precious is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtIQusyfiGc
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM
DonnaMaria

it is precious Dave, but unfortunately I don't have a very high opinion of sparrows.....

I have a small tree outside my kitchen window and a family of Martins nest there each spring.

Time and time again I see Sparrows invade the nest and throw the eggs and babies of Martins to the ground.

It happens each year and it's the most terrible thing to watch.

I'm sure other birds do this......but I only have experience with Sparrows doing this.......and it's cruel........
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
it is precious Dave, but unfortunately I don't have a very high opinion of sparrows.....

I have a small tree outside my kitchen window and a family of Martins nest there each spring.

Time and time again I see Sparrows invade the nest and throw the eggs and babies of Martins to the ground.

It happens each year and it's the most terrible thing to watch.

I'm sure other birds do this......but I only have experience with Sparrows doing this.......and it's cruel........
Cuckoos are worse for that..I didnt know Sparrows did that though...I dont know if these are Sparrows or House Martins, for me they look the same
Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Buzzard

When I lived at my parents house in SoCal, we had swallow nests built out of mud on the stucco walls of our garage, and they would come back every year like clockwork.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
When I lived at my parents house in SoCal, we had swallow nests built out of mud on the stucco walls of our garage, and they would come back every year like clockwork.
Robins do similar. Many birds will nest in the same places for generations. We have one such case at the Store where I work. with Robins. Robins are protected, which means that if you kill or harm one you can be in real legal trouble. This means that the Robins that come back each year and nest in the Wearhouse cant be touched by the company or impeded in anyway. Each year, for years, these little tiny Robins have come back, many years they will lay eggs and rear young.

The year before last, they didnt come back, and many of us were really unhappy about it. Their shrill calls and dancing around has become quite an expectation during the winter and spring.

Then last year a single male turned up. We reckon he's one of the offspring. We reckon the parents have passed on, but this child is now returning to his place of birth ready to rear his own family.

There was much jubilation