Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
That was a beautiful fight to watch. When they knelt together afterwards, I teared up. I was lucky enough to be watching that fight live in the arena. It's still one of my top 5 favorite fights. Joe Rogan will never feel what those two fighters felt kneeling in that octagon together.

~Amy
I'd forgotten you were there for it. I hope to meet Leonard Garcia on my next Tour. I think he's a lovely guy at heart
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I'd forgotten you were there for it. I hope to meet Leonard Garcia on my next Tour. I think he's a lovely guy at heart
He's a good guy. That fight is the first time I met Matt. He was at a Best Buy signing autographs. He told me I needed to post more.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
He's a good guy. That fight is the first time I met Matt. He was at a Best Buy signing autographs. He told me I needed to post more.

~Amy
doesnt remember you from during The Great Schism of 59 then
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
doesnt remember you from during The Great Schism of 59 then
Maybe he just remembered you and Goat being the main characters. You two overshadowed most other posters then.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post

I don't like Alves as a fighter. Don't forget, he was caught with Spironolactone in his system, so he is a proven cheater. He knew days in advance of the Matt Hughes fight that he wasn't going to make weight. Instead of trying his best, he coasted into the fight with a huge weight and strength advantage. In the quote above, he admits that he could have made weight but took the "easier" road. I think it speaks volumes about his character.
Good analysis, PTM, I totally agree.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I don't like Alves as a fighter. Don't forget, he was caught with Spironolactone in his system, so he is a proven cheater. He knew days in advance of the Matt Hughes fight that he wasn't going to make weight. Instead of trying his best, he coasted into the fight with a huge weight and strength advantage. In the quote above, he admits that he could have made weight but took the "easier" road. I think it speaks volumes about his character.
That's one of the things that I will always hold against Alves. Matt was 3.5 pounds over on the morning of the weigh-ins and spent the day cutting that extra weight. Thiago knew that he would be 4 pounds over and made no attempt to cut weight. They could have easily just made it into a catch-weight fight instead of forcing Matt to go through the whole weight cut process.

I see it as a cheat on the part of Alves' team to give Thiago a strength advantage.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That's one of the things that I will always hold against Alves. Matt was 3.5 pounds over on the morning of the weigh-ins and spent the day cutting that extra weight. Thiago knew that he would be 4 pounds over and made no attempt to cut weight. They could have easily just made it into a catch-weight fight instead of forcing Matt to go through the whole weight cut process.

I see it as a cheat on the part of Alves' team to give Thiago a strength advantage.
I know Matt wouldn't have refused to fight him (as we saw) when he found out Alves didn't make weight, but could he have refused at that point, Nate? If so, that speaks to Matt's character.

Even though Jon Fitch was nice about it at the post-fight press conference when asked about Thiago not making weight for their fight, he did bring up Matt's fight with Thiago saying, "In his fight with Matt, he came in 8 lbs. over; that's just ridiculous."

I know Matt has mentioned that he wouldn't mind having a rematch with Alves, but I don't think Alves deserves a rematch with Matt because of him being so disrespectful in not making weight then, and, like you said, being deceitful until the last minute when he had to get on that scale after Matt had already cut weight. And I did not believe that lame @$$ story about his ankle either.

He's making a habit of this and like you and PTM said, shows his character. I hope DW sticks to what he said in the PFPC about forcing him to go up to 185.

When did he have brain surgery?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

I know Matt has mentioned that he wouldn't mind having a rematch with Alves, but I don't think Alves deserves a rematch with Matt because of him being so disrespectful in not making weight then, and, like you said, being deceitful until the last minute when he had to get on that scale after Matt had already cut weight. And I did not believe that lame @$$ story about his ankle either.
Amen to that, Bonnie. I don't think he deserves a rematch with Matt either. Besides, Matt has bigger fish to fry...

(fried Canadian eel, for one)
Old 08-14-2010, 06:23 AM
3dlee

Alves has loss his last 2 and Matt has won his last 3. I would much rather give Matt a fight with Fitch, winner of Kampmann v Shields, or loser of GSP/Kos. Whatever boosts our superhero closest to a title shot against the evil greezer.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

I agree. I would love to see Matt avenge that loss and kick Alves up to middleweight. I strongly suspect that Alves uses anabolic steroids. He was caught using banned diuretics. He has disrespected several opponents by missing weight. I don't know if it is possible, but I wish Matt could have a contract stipulation that Alves begin random drug testing several months prior to the fight. He is probably doing cycles of steroids and/or Growth Hormone treatments in the months leading up to the fight. Also, demand a higher penalty for being overweight and force Alves to take extra time to cut the weight, rather than accept the penalty and stop the weight cut. It won't happen, but it would be nice.