Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Side Control (http://sidecontrol.blogspot.com/2010...jiu-jitsu.html) -

Quote:
Country Boy Jiu Jitsu

A few years after being reacquanted with mixed martials arts in 2003, I noticed that the man who had more quality wins by submission than anyone at the time was welterweight legend, Matt Hughes.

Matt is not the easiest guy for a guy like me to like. But as someone who values ground fighting uber alles, I found it impossible not to have respect for a guy who, born and raised in a singlet, was nevertheless putting the tap-out on quality opponents in mixed martial arts like no one else at the time.

I thought about this after watching his submission victory over Ricardo Almeida, and after reading post-fight remarks like this:
Quote:
I don't want to be labeled as a guy looking for the Gracies. I've never asked to fight a Gracie, the UFC has always come to me with fighting the Gracies, Ricardo came to me. I don't want that. I've got too much respect for them to be labeled the 'Gracie Killer.
Someone pointed out that in the last several years, Hughes has only lost to three guys: BJ Penn, Thiago Alves and GSP. It's worth keeping in mind the next time Mr. "Army of One" steps into the cage.

More coverage of UFC 117 and Matt Hughes at MMA Mania here.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Allons-y

LowKick (http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/10-Conclu...m-UFC-117-9449) -

Quote:
10 Conclusions from UFC 117

Matt Hughes: I was so impressed with Matt Hughes today. His ability to recover from back-to-back losses against Thiago Alves and GSP and go on a three-fight winning streak against game opponents in the UFC, proves exactly why Matt Hughes is the UFC Hall of Famer. In my opinion, Hughes will be in the mix for the shot at the title during 2011, and I will be not surprised if we'll have him again as the UFC Welterweight Champ. It may be a severe case of Randy Couture syndrome here.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I love the way the moment he wins...they are seemingly quote some non existant group of people who have claimed for a year or two that Hughes is nothing....they make it sound like it was someone other then themselves!!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

I love the way the moment he wins...they are seemingly quote some non existant group of people who have claimed for a year or two that Hughes is nothing....they make it sound like it was someone other then themselves!!
Exactly. Bunch of wusses not man enough to admit their mistakes.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Oh gimme a damn break GSP is no god in the welterweight division!! Uggg makes me sick everytime all the GSP hype!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Miss Foxy

A Country Boy Can Survive: Matt Hughes Will Make One More Run at UFC Welterweight Gold
Matt Hughes epitomizes his signature walkout music, “A Country Boy Can Survive” by Hank Williams, Jr. This is a man that has tasted both the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in a career that dates back to 1998. With his recent win against Ricardo Almeida being his forty-fifth win out of fifty-two professional fights, and his third win in a row, Matt Hughes continues to prove that he’s got a whole lot of gas left in his tank, despite earlier calls for him to retire given his two back-to-back and quite humbling losses to Georges St. Pierre in 2007 and Thiago Alves in 2008. Now a member of the UFC Hall of Fame, I think Hughes is destined for another Welterweight Title shot for one simple reason: because he doesn’t want it anymore.

If his post-fight interview after submitting Ricardo Almeida is any indication, Hughes has adopted the same mentality that has led to Randy Couture being able to still compete at a high level despite his age: he knows he has nothing left to prove, and simply wants to fight to stay competitive. He jokingly referenced that being in the UFC Hall of Fame but still actively competing put some pressure on him, but he seems to be taking it in stride. In the past, Hughes had put so much pressure on himself and been so obsessed with getting (and keeping) the UFC Welterweight Championship that it eventually caused him to overlook opponents. I know it seems paradoxical that having no championship aspirations is beneficial to your career, but for Matt Hughes, this is actually a great mentality for him to have.

I don’t want to say that Hughes doesn’t care anymore, though. Of course he cares. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be fighting anymore. I have no doubt about that. It’s just that his focus has shifted. Instead of constantly being in pursuit of the Welterweight championship, Hughes seems to be focused on seeing how long he can compete at an elite level, just to prove that he can. He knows that his legacy is set in stone, and because of this he can start having a little fun, which comes in the form of trying crazy things like the submission he used to choke out Almeida (which I don’t think anyone saw coming). With relatively little pressure, and with a willingness to try things he wouldn’t try before because he was too focused on winning, Matt’s natural ability will continue to shine through.

That’s why I think one more UFC Welterweight Championship opportunity is in store for Matt Hughes. He no longer needs the belt to cement his legacy, but he’s still one of the best Welterweights in the UFC, as well as one of the best Welterweights in history. In the here and now, with a three-fight win-streak against some excellent competition, Matt Hughes is only a few fights away from getting one more shot at the gold. I won’t say “one last” because honestly, who can tell in today’s crazy MMA landscape? If 2010 has proved anything, it’s that no man is unbeatable in MMA. With a fresh attitude, some of the best wrestling and Ground and Pound ever seen in the UFC, and with the willingness to go out and try something he’s never tried before just for the hell of it, I firmly believe that Matt Hughes is right in the middle of one of the biggest comebacks we’ll ever see in Mixed Martial Arts.
And what do you think, fans and friends? Is Hughes destined to hold the UFC Welterweight Championship one more time, or is it time for him to retire? Also, what are some opponents that you’d like to see Matt Hughes face in order to prove that he’s ready for another shot at the gold? I literally just cried how proud I am to read this.. Well put..
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Good job, Ben. Someone needed to point out their blatant bias.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Good job, Ben. Someone needed to point out their blatant bias.
If you everneed someone who's really good at copy/paste, I'm your man!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 PM

Let's see what happens when the rankings come out

[
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

There is plenty of crow to go around after Saturday.