Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
For me, the trick to hitting in slow pitch softball was to WAIT and then wait some more. I was always too anxious to swing and hit the ball. Once I learned to wait I hit much better. I stand further back in the box and practically hit it before it hits the ground now.

Stay hydrated and get a portable fan or a mister to cool off between fielding.
Another tip (assuming you're a right-handed batter): as you're in the batter's box, get in your stance. After the pitcher releases the ball, take your back foot & step in towards the 3rd base line. You'll now be able to pull the ball to right field, where they typically stick their worst player. I did this all the time in our inter-mural games & ended up blasting a 3-RBI, game winning in-the-park-homer to win our championship game.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Another tip (assuming you're a right-handed batter): as you're in the batter's box, get in your stance. After the pitcher releases the ball, take your back foot & step in towards the 3rd base line. You'll now be able to pull the ball to right field, where they typically stick their worst player. I did this all the time in our inter-mural games & ended up blasting a 3-RBI, game winning in-the-park-homer to win our championship game.
Awww. That's just picking on the team dork. Way to be a bully Ben.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
OK I'm starting a new topic under sports. I need lots of batting help so you & Mike chime in.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Awww. That's just picking on the team dork. Way to be a bully Ben.
Hey, I was the team dork all the way through little league. Once I never got athletic until I hit college. I was just using my nerdy ability to assess the relevant information and produce a advantageous solution!

Besides, when you're a sub in the middle of the game (inter-mural co-ed league & we had way more girls than guys, so each guy would play 2-3 innings then sit), the opposing fielders assumed you were a scrub, so they'd move in on you & start cheating to the left field side.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMJ370JLic

I feel like this
Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Frustrated & in pain.

I woke up yesterday morning with pain in my lower back. I didn't do anything Sunday that would have made me sore, just going to church, eating lunch & then laying around the house. I assumed I just slept on it wrong, but it re-surfaced a coupla times during the work day & then again in the evening while I was at dinner with some friends (buddy just got engaged).

Today, it's been a constant soreness interspersed sharp pains & I can tell that I've been favoring it and sitting awkwardly to try & avoid the pain because other portions of my back are now starting to get sore from the way I've been subconciously contorting myself.

I'm getting pissed because I feel like there's always something that's preventing me from getting into the gym as often as I want. If it's something reasonable (not going to jits/muay thai for the week preceding my buddies wedding so that I would risk being "that one groomsman with the black-eye/crutches/sling/etc.), then I can handle the disappointment, but when there's no forseeable explanation for what's going on, it pisses me off.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Frustrated & in pain.

I woke up yesterday morning with pain in my lower back. I didn't do anything Sunday that would have made me sore, just going to church, eating lunch & then laying around the house. I assumed I just slept on it wrong, but it re-surfaced a coupla times during the work day & then again in the evening while I was at dinner with some friends (buddy just got engaged).

Today, it's been a constant soreness interspersed sharp pains & I can tell that I've been favoring it and sitting awkwardly to try & avoid the pain because other portions of my back are now starting to get sore from the way I've been subconciously contorting myself.

I'm getting pissed because I feel like there's always something that's preventing me from getting into the gym as often as I want. If it's something reasonable (not going to jits/muay thai for the week preceding my buddies wedding so that I would risk being "that one groomsman with the black-eye/crutches/sling/etc.), then I can handle the disappointment, but when there's no forseeable explanation for what's going on, it pisses me off.
What have you tried to get rid of the pain?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
What have you tried to get rid of the pain?
Nothing yesterday, because it wasn't constant & only popped up about maybe 5-6 times. Today, though, I took Ibuprofen as soon as I go to work.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Nothing yesterday, because it wasn't constant & only popped up about maybe 5-6 times. Today, though, I took Ibuprofen as soon as I go to work.
How many did you take? you can take up to 4 at a time. just don't take that many more than 2 times a day for 3 days. it's bad on your stomach. oh & eat something when you take it. i take that for whiplash pain because nothing else works. and i have to take 4 or it doesn't help. the anti-inflamatory reduces the swelling around nerves which is what gives us the feeling of pain.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
How many did you take? you can take up to 4 at a time. just don't take that many more than 2 times a day for 3 days. it's bad on your stomach. oh & eat something when you take it. i take that for whiplash pain because nothing else works. and i have to take 4 or it doesn't help. the anti-inflamatory reduces the swelling around nerves which is what gives us the feeling of pain.
Yeah, I took 2 around 10, but was planning to up to dosage in a sec when I take the next round.