Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default George Steinbrenner passes away...

This is just coming out like 5 minutes ago...

Wow...

Quote:
By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum, Ap Sports Writer 3 mins ago

NEW YORK The Yankees say owner George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80.

Spokesman Howard Rubenstein said he died Tuesday morning. He had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.

Steinbrenner, who celebrated his birthday July 4, had been in fragile health for several years.

Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees' spring training complex. The Yankees says many employees there were in tears.

The death comes two days after the team's beloved public-address announcer Bob Sheppard died at 99.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bbo_obit_steinbrenner
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

I just read that & was coming to post it. Shocking.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,790
Default

He was 80, what's shocking?

RIP.I'll be wearing my Yankees hat today.
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,741
Default

RIP, George.

I admired what he accomplished with the Yankees, he insisted on personal discipline and a great work ethic; no wonder they were contenders year after year. Just look at Johnny Damon's transformation after he left Boston.

He kept the Yankees a great tradition. My sympathies are with his family today and I think George would be fine with passing away during the All-Star game.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Colin Cowherd said it best today when he said that George had done something that is RARELY seen in American business....

He took the BEST brand...and he made it BETTER.

It would be like Bill Gates dying, and some other guy coming in and making Microsoft BETTER than what is it today. It's nuts, but that's what Steinbrenner did. He really didn't give a f**k. He bought the best team he could every year, and he changed the landscape of baseball.

Wow....80 years old...

He lived "The American Dream".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Colin Cowherd said it best today when he said that George had done something that is RARELY seen in American business....

He took the BEST brand...and he made it BETTER.

It would be like Bill Gates dying, and some other guy coming in and making Microsoft BETTER than what is it today. It's nuts, but that's what Steinbrenner did. He really didn't give a f**k. He bought the best team he could every year, and he changed the landscape of baseball.

Wow....80 years old...

He lived "The American Dream".
+++
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM
SteveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Colin Cowherd said it best today when he said that George had done something that is RARELY seen in American business....

He took the BEST brand...and he made it BETTER.

It would be like Bill Gates dying, and some other guy coming in and making Microsoft BETTER than what is it today. It's nuts, but that's what Steinbrenner did. He really didn't give a f**k. He bought the best team he could every year, and he changed the landscape of baseball.

Wow....80 years old...

He lived "The American Dream".
That's for sure. I know there are a lot of Yankee haters out there..especially if you live in a city that's in the same conference as the Yankees...but no matter who you are, if you know anything about baseball then you have to respect Mr. Steinbrenner and what he did what that team. He is one of the most distinguished and well known owners of any professional sports team.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
That's for sure. I know there are a lot of Yankee haters out there..especially if you live in a city that's in the same conference as the Yankees...but no matter who you are, if you know anything about baseball then you have to respect Mr. Steinbrenner and what he did what that team. He is one of the most distinguished and well known owners of any professional sports team.
I hear ya man...

Send one back for the man who did so much for American sports....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRaM7AFMA

New York haters will stand tall....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 PM
SteveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I hear ya man...

Send one back for the man who did so much for American sports....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTRaM7AFMA

New York haters will stand tall....
He definitely spoke his mind and expected nothing but the best from his team, his players, his coaches and everyone else within the organization and if you weren't giving it your all then you better have packed your bags..

on a side note..I just noticed that I said conference...meant to say division...my mistake on that one!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.