Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Dawezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
That's very interesting, thanks for the insider look at the techniques, Dawezilla.

My pleaseure. I was actually at class last night and we talked about this video. Most agreed the same as I figured that the balance control techniques such as Irimagi and Tenshinagi would be very surprising to someone not expecting it. Following that, after the fall, there are very quick arm bars and immobilization techniques that are quite effective.

I have to stress that a person to apply those would have to be very accurate and very quick. Not too easy for someone not used to the style to switch to. Judo practitioners seem to adjust well to it, so there is good possibility that people can adjust or adapt the techniques for their own use.

Aikido is based a lot on Sword work so the strikes are circular, the deflections are too. Direct counter attacks in weaponry is not usually advantageous to anyone so it becomes about energy redirection, balance control, and momentum ownership. With the right application, I think some of the techniques during a clinch will be helpful to create a throw - stepping into the inside of a punch or kick is not something most fighters expect so it creates a fraction of a second of opportunity that would have been just lost to covering up before.

A lot of police tactics are based on several arts, one of which is usually Aikido.

Just my thought.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
suntereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawezilla View Post
My pleaseure. I was actually at class last night and we talked about this video. Most agreed the same as I figured that the balance control techniques such as Irimagi and Tenshinagi would be very surprising to someone not expecting it. Following that, after the fall, there are very quick arm bars and immobilization techniques that are quite effective.

I have to stress that a person to apply those would have to be very accurate and very quick. Not too easy for someone not used to the style to switch to. Judo practitioners seem to adjust well to it, so there is good possibility that people can adjust or adapt the techniques for their own use.

Aikido is based a lot on Sword work so the strikes are circular, the deflections are too. Direct counter attacks in weaponry is not usually advantageous to anyone so it becomes about energy redirection, balance control, and momentum ownership. With the right application, I think some of the techniques during a clinch will be helpful to create a throw - stepping into the inside of a punch or kick is not something most fighters expect so it creates a fraction of a second of opportunity that would have been just lost to covering up before.

A lot of police tactics are based on several arts, one of which is usually Aikido.

Just my thought.
my complaint with aikido was the complexity / accuracy necc. to work. However the foot work and setups are great and unorthodox. Ironic that these techniques would probably be more useful to chael then anderson? ie get inside the strikes and then transition to his wrestling.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Dawezilla

Default haha

Well I got my ass handed to me in training last week and the technique, shihonage, would be a good one to use from a clinch - well I thought of this as I was driven into the mat - very hard