Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Bucks draft VCU forward Sanders in first round

Quote:
Attention, Bucks fans:
If the words "Larry Sanders" make you think of the classic HBO comedy series starring Gary Shandling, you are due for an adjustment.
With the first of their four picks in the 2010 NBA Draft, the Bucks selected Larry Sanders -- a 6-foot 10-inch, 225-pound forward from Virginia Commonwealth University.
With the 37th pick, the Bucks took New Mexico forward Darrington Hobson. They took Tulsa center Jerome Jordan with the 44th pick and then grabbed Oklahoma forward Tiny Gallon with their 47th pick.

Sanders, who helped VCU to a 75-27 record during three seasons, is known for his athletic ability, defense and shot-blocking skills. He is regarded as a player with "upside," which means that scouts believe he will get stronger and improve his offensive game, which currently lags behind his defense.
Sanders did not begin playing organized basketball until his sophomore year at Port St. Lucie High School in Florida.
At a workout June 14 at the Bucks training center in St. Francis, Sanders was asked what he would bring to the team.
"I think I'd bring a lot of energy," he said. "That's one thing I try to bring everyday, practice or games, my ability to run, especially with a point guard like who they have (Brandon Jennings), and just my work ethic. I think I can work hard and push my teammates and push myself."
At the same workout, Bucks scouting director Billy McKinney was asked if Sanders was a serious candidate for the 15th pick.
"I think that might be a little bit of a stretch, but anything is possible," McKinney said.
Obviously, McKinney was keeping his proverbial cards close to the vest. Various mock drafts had the Bucks taking Sanders at No. 15. Many Bucks fans wrote glowing posts about the possibility on team message boards.
I guess I now have three favorite NBA Teams:
  1. Suns
  2. Thunder
  3. Bucks
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sanders
"I think I'd bring a lot of energy,"
"High energy" guys in the NBA are typically considered players with sub-par skill-sets who still manage to go out and make some big plays. It's hardly a death sentence to be classified as such though, especially when you are a rookie that shows good potential. The Bucks need all the help they can get too.

The Bulls are the ones who really shook things up yesterday. They are basically going "all in" by agreeing to deal away Hinrich in return for what is essentially nothing more than cap-space. Sure, cap space may give you the money to do some big time spending, but that is only half the battle, you still gotta sign the guys and make it work. Still, with enough money to bring in two big time free agents to surround D-Rose, we could see the beginning of another great era in Chicago basketball.

I can only pray that I get to see the Bulls and the Suns play against each other in the finals again. That would be right up there for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
"High energy" guys in the NBA are typically considered players with sub-par skill-sets who still manage to go out and make some big plays. It's hardly a death sentence to be classified as such though, especially when you are a rookie that shows good potential. The Bucks need all the help they can get too.

The Bulls are the ones who really shook things up yesterday. They are basically going "all in" by agreeing to deal away Hinrich in return for what is essentially nothing more than cap-space. Sure, cap space may give you the money to do some big time spending, but that is only half the battle, you still gotta sign the guys and make it work. Still, with enough money to bring in two big time free agents to surround D-Rose, we could see the beginning of another great era in Chicago basketball.

I can only pray that I get to see the Bulls and the Suns play against each other in the finals again. That would be right up there for me.
Yeah, that pretty much sums Larry up!

He's certainly not the brightest knife on the tree.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:32 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
He's certainly not the brightest knife on the tree.
Well, I didn't want to be mean, but I'm not sure calling yourself a "high-energy" guy during draft time is the right approach in terms of how that is viewed in the NBA.

Although, hey...a lot of first rounders turn out to be busts, so a decent high energy guy ain't always a bad thing. Besides, I DOUBT that comment effected his being picked outside the lottery, so it's not like he lost money or anything.