Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Exactly, the resale market is the biggest part of the video game industry.

I can understand why they want to make some extra money by offering the silly extra downloads like I was talking about, or even asking for a small fee from the people who bought the game used to help maintain the servers for online gaming. However, before they make that end-user pay for the Online features, they should get to try it out first, even if it's only for a day. They could just link it to the Xbox or PS3 gamertag in that respect. The reason I say this is, look at the new UFC game. That game completely sucks online according to 90% of the people who own it, yet they are charging the resale customers to use it.

If they are seriously planning a monthly fee, there better be some BAD ASS stuff going on, or nobody is gonna buy it. These aren't World of Warcraft nerds we are talking about here.
I never understood the resale of games from places like Gamestop and such. Its usually less the 5$ save which really isn't that huge. I guess if you buy enough games constantly then it might just be worth it,

I really think what changed my attitude towards game resales was actually taking part in the dev of an Indie game, To actually see what goes into the game I just cant bring myself to buying used.

So far I haven't felt cheated in any game I purchased, corse I am pretty strict on what I actually do buy. Also It would seem to me at least that in the next yr or 2 we will turn the gaming community into a MP based where we will probably see less and less in terms of compelling SP.

I couldn't believe how many people were crying about RDR's MP which is odd cause Rockstar is terrible at MP, yet so may were talking bout being ripped off based on the poor MP.

An stop picking on my 80 Tauren Druid and Hume Rogue JB..

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...wsong&cn=Brand

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Silentlyte
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 PM
jason2130
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

my guess is more games are gonna start goin the route on DDO (dungeons and dragons online) with online content, you can buy add on content for a 1 time purchase and own it forever, or pay $14.95 a month and get access to all content +gold member benifits

so with a game like MMA, and im just useing examples based on DDO type pricing
.99 per extra ring unlocked forever (until they get bored making new rings)
2.99 roster upgrades unlocked forever (eventually youll need 3 to 4 roster upgrades)
2.99 per special fighter unlocked forever (prolly 10+ fighters from other organizations, or legends)

or

9.99 a month and you get access to all the above
+ a webpages with your stats
+ special events
+ some sort of training boost for your fighter

but if you ever quit paying the fee you have nothing of the extra content

listening to the EA guy talk about the shooter package they seem to be leaning kinda the way of DDO, which lord of the rings online is copying DDO this year exactly (free to play-but pay for anything past a certain point) and i think EA is part of that game as well
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I never understood the resale of games from places like Gamestop and such. Its usually less the 5$ save which really isn't that huge. I guess if you buy enough games constantly then it might just be worth it,

I really think what changed my attitude towards game resales was actually taking part in the dev of an Indie game, To actually see what goes into the game I just cant bring myself to buying used.

So far I haven't felt cheated in any game I purchased, corse I am pretty strict on what I actually do buy. Also It would seem to me at least that in the next yr or 2 we will turn the gaming community into a MP based where we will probably see less and less in terms of compelling SP.

I couldn't believe how many people were crying about RDR's MP which is odd cause Rockstar is terrible at MP, yet so may were talking bout being ripped off based on the poor MP.

An stop picking on my 80 Tauren Druid and Hume Rogue JB..

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...wsong&cn=Brand

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Silentlyte
Gamestop marks up a lot of the newer released pre-owned games like 100%, but when a game is like 6 months or a year old you definitely save money on it. I am all for the resale of games, music, and movies. For games in particular, there are a lot of games that I wouldn't mind owning but I don't feel they are worth buying when they are full price. I get sick of games or beat them too quick to justify spending that much cash on brand new games. I am constantly trading games in for different ones and even the games with high replay value seem to lose their edge within a few months.

NES is still the best. Those were the days, when multiplayer meant you actually had another human being sitting in the room with you while playing the game.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Gamestop marks up a lot of the newer released pre-owned games like 100%, but when a game is like 6 months or a year old you definitely save money on it. I am all for the resale of games, music, and movies. For games in particular, there are a lot of games that I wouldn't mind owning but I don't feel they are worth buying when they are full price. I get sick of games or beat them too quick to justify spending that much cash on brand new games. I am constantly trading games in for different ones and even the games with high replay value seem to lose their edge within a few months.

NES is still the best. Those were the days, when multiplayer meant you actually had another human being sitting in the room with you while playing the game.
I am not sure bout that one. I bought Assassins Creed 2 for 24$ on Amazon. IF you look at what it cost on Gamestop its 23$ used. Same game new from there is 40$. 21$+3 shipping on Ebay.

I havent sold any games in a long while, there always seems to be some form of DLC that gets my interest, probably another thing to keep game resales down as well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
my guess is more games are gonna start goin the route on DDO (dungeons and dragons online) with online content, you can buy add on content for a 1 time purchase and own it forever, or pay $14.95 a month and get access to all content +gold member benifits

so with a game like MMA, and im just useing examples based on DDO type pricing
.99 per extra ring unlocked forever (until they get bored making new rings)
2.99 roster upgrades unlocked forever (eventually youll need 3 to 4 roster upgrades)
2.99 per special fighter unlocked forever (prolly 10+ fighters from other organizations, or legends)

or

9.99 a month and you get access to all the above
+ a webpages with your stats
+ special events
+ some sort of training boost for your fighter

but if you ever quit paying the fee you have nothing of the extra content

listening to the EA guy talk about the shooter package they seem to be leaning kinda the way of DDO, which lord of the rings online is copying DDO this year exactly (free to play-but pay for anything past a certain point) and i think EA is part of that game as well
Oddly thats what saved the game, subscription wise it was really tanking bad. In a last ditch effort they went to that form and oddly increased their revenue and subscriptions by 500%
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I am not sure bout that one. I bought Assassins Creed 2 for 24$ on Amazon. IF you look at what it cost on Gamestop its 23$ used. Same game new from there is 40$. 21$+3 shipping on Ebay.

I havent sold any games in a long while, there always seems to be some form of DLC that gets my interest, probably another thing to keep game resales down as well.
Well what I meant by marking up the pre-owned games is in terms of what they buy them back for.

It really just depends on the popularity of the game. For instance, I traded in Nascar 09 and got under $20 for it, but when I was back in the store a few days later they had my same copy on the shelf for $40 (Nascar 09 is the last year for the EA Nascar games). I also traded in NHL 09 and I got under $10 and they were selling it for $20.

I saw AC 2 for like 24 or 25 bucks last time I was in Gamestop, so I'm assuming the buy back price is like 10 or 12 dollars. So, why would anybody in their right mind go out and buy that game at full price right now? The bulk of game sales are mostly recorded in the first month of a game's release anyway, and the market is constantly flooded with new games. It's hard for people to keep up with constantly spending $60 on games.

I think in the future it will start to go further away from games based on disc and start to get more into the direct download or streaming formats. There are already services like Gametap that have a subscription based service that allows you to play 1000's of games without ever downloading them.That will be one way to curb resales in the game industry, but it will certainly kill the nostalgia.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 AM
jason2130
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Oddly thats what saved the game, subscription wise it was really tanking bad. In a last ditch effort they went to that form and oddly increased their revenue and subscriptions by 500%
got me playing it, bought a few add ons instead on monthly fees, when lord of the rings goes free il prolly go back to it for awhile

been playing "kingdom heroes" lately, have a lvl 50 warrior (shield based) if anyone plays it a fun/free mmo where you have your character and between 2-6 soldiers/pets following you all the time

sadly i have seen you pic by your name and just dawned on me its a tauren havent had my account on since the last expansion, i feel like playing it again but when i turn it on i cant decide what char to play, i want all my 70s to be 80 but never stay on one long enough to do anything i find myslef loggin on and off swapping chars until i get frustrated and go play something else
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Go figure, not long after making my last post, I stumbled across this headline over at Yahoo....

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...gaming/1402424
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-17-2010, 03:22 AM
jason2130
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Go figure, not long after making my last post, I stumbled across this headline over at Yahoo....

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...gaming/1402424
am i understanding it wrong? they make it sound like its some new concept but isnt it just Gametap (9.99 for unlimited access to a huge game library of PC, nintendo, sega, aracde, etc etc games on your PC) with better technology? i loved until the big update to try and use the browser to play games and everything went to crap for awhile, never went back to see if its been fixed
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
am i understanding it wrong? they make it sound like its some new concept but isnt it just Gametap (9.99 for unlimited access to a huge game library of PC, nintendo, sega, aracde, etc etc games on your PC) with better technology? i loved until the big update to try and use the browser to play games and everything went to crap for awhile, never went back to see if its been fixed
Well, it's not really like Gametap, because Gametap is only through your PC, and honestly when I used Gametap it wasn't all that great. This is set to launch on computers, but they are bringing it to TV sets as well.

What makes this more exciting than Gametap is that OnLive apparently has some pretty big financial backers, such as AT&T and Time Warner. Thus, if it becomes a hit when they bring it to TV sets, they already have a big foothold in the industry by being able to easily access customers through their cable/internet providers. That, and if it truly is as high end as they claim, it really opens a realm of possibilities for how games are delivered to us in the future.

It it supposed to launch tomorrow, and the list of games that is on their website as of right now is...

Assassins Creed 2
Dirt 2
Boderlands
Batman: Arkahm Asylum
Dragon Age: Orgins
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 2
NBA 2k10
Prince of Persia
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lego Harry Potter

That's a pretty solid list of new games. If they actually run as good as they claim, this could actually be very exciting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.