Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
County Mike

Default Government Spending - example where I work

Following is an email I received at work. On one hand, I'm glad they're taking care of the problem. On the other hand, I'm sure they're spending a ton on the overkill approach.

Quote:
While replacing 10 computer air conditioning (CAC) units in building 300 laboratories, mold was discovered. Immediate action was taken to isolate the initial area (B300, 3rd Floor, H19 lab area) in order to mitigate the effects of mold. Mold was later discovered and isolated in four more locations within the laboratories. The locations are B300, 3rd floor B19, B300 3rd floor D18, B300 3rd floor F18 and B300 2nd floor E29.

FAA Headquarters Environment Occupational Safety and Health Services office (EOSH) was consulted and the full extent of the situation and the actions necessary for remediation are being ascertained. An environmental services contractor is expected to be on-site within two weeks. So far the actions taken have been extremely effective in mitigating the situation.

The following includes some of our actions to date:
Met with the impacted managers, unions, HR and Safety Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to review the sampling results and to plan initial and future solutions
Collected two sets of air samples from the second and third floor building 300 labs with those results indicating mold presence
Informed and relocated employees in the known affected areas
Shut down the affected CAC unit on the 2nd floor and isolated the area having mold
Monitored temperature and humidity levels at the second floor location and will continue to monitor until remediation is complete
Planned to place temporary cooling units as needed
Established a work plan to remediate the five areas known to have mold contamination

We are planning the following additional actions:
HEPA filtration units will be deployed for filtering any airborne mold spores within a week
Air samples are planned for Bldg. 316 labs and an inspection of the CAC units located there
Continue inspection of all CAC units in Bldg. 300 laboratories for mold growth
Continue to sample weekly in affected areas until remediation is completed
Continue to meet with all parties until remediation is completed
Revisit WJHTC maintenance procedures to incorporate lessons learned
My approach would have been.
Quote:
While replacing air conditioning units, mold was discovered.
Mold was removed.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Following is an email I received at work. On one hand, I'm glad they're taking care of the problem. On the other hand, I'm sure they're spending a ton on the overkill approach.

My approach would have been.
Way to simple!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
rearnakedchoke

OSHA regs and ACGIH requirements are not only to remove the problem but from ensuring there is not a recurrence ... i know what you are saying bro, but these things need to be done to ensure people are safe at work (especially given the effects mould and other airborne contaminants can have on a person's health) ...
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Yeah, in this instance with mold, I don't think they can ever be too careful. I'm sure them being extra diligent also has a lot to do with any liability. As an employee in those areas (heck just as an employee in that building), I'd want to know what kind it is, how long it's been there, could it possibly affect my health, and even more important, is it something I could bring home inadvertantly exposing my family.

Hope they do a thorough check of the whole building, air ducts, etc... I was just doing some reading and it didn't sound good. It can get on your skin and in your lungs and cause a lot of bad things. One of the types can get in your lungs and form a "fungus ball".

I think they should just move y'all to a different mold-free building to be on the really safe side.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I think they should just move y'all to a different mold-free building to be on the really safe side.
Sure. We'll just find another building that holds 4,000 people and is networked with all the air traffic sites across the country.

I understand it needs to be removed and to prevent re-occurence. I'm just talking about all the meetings and assessments they have to perform to accomplish the task. How many people REALLY need to get involved?

But hey! If they didn't work so inefficiently, I might not have a job. They might have found someone else to do my job + a few others all by himself.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Save that email for evidence, Mike. You may need it.