Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile Things that go bang in the night

There are thirty active volcano in Iceland. Some are large, some are small. Very recently a rather small volcano went off. Through some very, very strange circumstantial events simaltaneously, this volcano managed to bring the entire continent of Europe to a standstill for around a week or so....not bad for a volcano that usually erupts (when she does so) for around about a year

There are two reasons why an Icelandic volcano is very dangerous...the most obvious is that half the volcano are burried beneith ice. This means when the eruption happens, and the magma chamber cracks, the first thing the lava touches is ice cold, this pretty much turns the whole lava to a fine spray of freeze dried dust and ash. IF the volcano had been surface then the dust cloud would never have reached the height it did.

The second problem...the 100mile per hour wind that blows in the northern hemasphere known as the Jet Stream, was not only traveling across iceland, but because of a big pressure system, the jet stream, usually irratic was stable for about two weeks. Talk about some stupid cooincidences.

Here however is the issue...Historically, on at least three recorded occasions, the Volcano that went bang last month, is usually followed, within months, of a larger volcano right next to her...sadly, also burried beneith ice...this other volcano used to go off once every hundred years....she's been silent for two hundred years...which means.... she's over due, in the same way a pressure cooker might be.

Iceland raises the issue of mass volcanic erruptions, that is one volcano setting off the next, setting off the next, etc...these Volcano are real climate changers because they release far more shyte into the air then anything humankind do.

Scientists are at present not only worried about that...but worried about a similar situation in Kamchatka, where a chain of Volcano on the ring of fire appear to slowly be becoming ever so slightly unstable....She is much, much, more dangerous because of size...when she goes off, if she takes others with her, she will quickly not just effect air travel in a single continent...she will effect air travel world wide. her levels are so large that we wont have to just contend with the ash....her level of fumes will be extremely dangerous to a lot of the pacific.

there is such thing as a nuclear winter, the natural alternative is caused by Volcano. If you are watching, you can usually fortell an erruption by the warning signs that the volcano gives off. If she starts to let out smoke where she didnt before, if small earthquakes become frequent on her lowlands...but its not very easy to know how she will erupt until she does...nor when exactly she will go off, except that it could be extremely soon.

Large and famous Volcano include Mount Vesuvius, an Italian Volcano whose pyroclastic flow engulfed the Roman town of pompeii. Krakatoa, whose boom was heard on the opposite side of the planet, and Mount Saint Hellens, whose magma chamber extended so far that when it finally cracked the whole volcano practically dissolved in the explosion...and a really old volcano in the Meditarainian, whose name I forget...but it wiped out a civilization, and its warning signs were so large they were felt in Egypt, and infact recorded and used by GOD as plagues, an explosion so big that when the water filled the crator, it probably drained the red sea briefly
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Adia

Angry

let me tell you, I was horribly disappointed after expectations based on this title had my mind very much elsewhere.

Boo to you, David!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
County Mike

The title was intriguing, but then I saw it was from Dave and knew it wouldn't be about banging in the night - in THAT sense.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adia View Post
let me tell you, I was horribly disappointed after expectations based on this title had my mind very much elsewhere.

Boo to you, David!
Yeah...well I was quite dissapointed when I last looked at Tim-Sylvia dot com to discover some abstract music website
Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Adia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Yeah...well I was quite dissapointed when I last looked at Tim-Sylvia dot com to discover some abstract music website
I guess you'd have to take your disappointment up with Tim. I've heard he's always so effective at responding to his fans and for his flawless self-promotion.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adia View Post
I guess you'd have to take your disappointment up with Tim. I've heard he's always so effective at responding to his fans and for his flawless self-promotion.
Well you would know