Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well it really looked like Cotto was gonna finish him in the 7th. It seemed like he just stuck to that game-plan Emmanuel gave him and didn't start throwing wild shots, even though it was quite evident that if Miguel opened up on Yuri it was gonna be over pretty quick.

I was surprised Foreman came out in the 8th, and it was obvious his corner wanted to stop the fight. Then about a minute and a half into the 8th, you just see a towel come flying in outta nowhere and actually hit Cotto. There was some confusion as to who actually threw the towel, but it was confirmed that it was Yuri's trainer, Joe Grier, who did in fact lob the towel. Cotto put his hands up in victory, and Foreman went to his corner and the ring filled up with people.

Then, outta nowhere it seemed, Arthur Mecante, the referee, started clearing the ring and saying the fight wasn't over. You could hear him tell Yuri to "suck it up kid" or "suck it up champ", and that really seemed odd because not only did everybody already think the fight was over, but it really seemed like the fight should have been called by that point anyway.

Foreman made it less than a minute into round 9 and the fight was stopped after Cotto landed a solid left hook to the body while Yuri was on the ropes that sent Foreman down to the canvas. I'm not sure that the shot would have buckled Yuri if his leg wasn't injured, but regardless, it was the final nail in the coffin.

Of course, it didn't take Ronnie Nathanielsz very long to drop a headline saying that Manny Pacquiao would consider a rematch with Cotto as a Plan-B. I found this quote to be odd though...

Really? a draw?
LOL, thanks a lot for your effort to type the play-by-play. I managed to catch the rest of the fight on YouTube this morning.

Yeah, Ronnie has his head up Manny's ass 99% of the time. Most of what he has to say is just stupid. Cotto is probably more like Plan C as A is Floyd and B is probably Marquez (would love Pac to KO him just so he would shut up about the previous fights).
Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
LOL, thanks a lot for your effort to type the play-by-play. I managed to catch the rest of the fight on YouTube this morning.

Yeah, Ronnie has his head up Manny's ass 99% of the time. Most of what he has to say is just stupid. Cotto is probably more like Plan C as A is Floyd and B is probably Marquez (would love Pac to KO him just so he would shut up about the previous fights).
I thought I remember the Pacquiao camp saying that another fight with Marquez was out of the question, but I could be mistaken. Marquez missed the boat on moving up in weight, and the Maweather fight was basically a monetary gift for him, he knows he can't get up into the 140's and be effective at this stage against elite guys like Floyd or Manny.

If the Mayweather fight doesn't happen, I could see Manny looking to snag that 8th title in a rematch with Cotto.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I thought I remember the Pacquiao camp saying that another fight with Marquez was out of the question, but I could be mistaken. Marquez missed the boat on moving up in weight, and the Maweather fight was basically a monetary gift for him, he knows he can't get up into the 140's and be effective at this stage against elite guys like Floyd or Manny.

If the Mayweather fight doesn't happen, I could see Manny looking to snag that 8th title in a rematch with Cotto.
Yeah, Pac's camp has said that, but they go back & forth, probably mostly just to shake the negotiations with Floyd. Pac has said multiple times that it's over. However, there are a lot of Pac's fans who do want him to silence Marquez. Pac may have lost the striking battle in their last fight (that fight was at super featherweight and he already said before the fight it was his last time because he's struggling to cut), but he won't be tired from cutting weight if they meet at 140. Pac would steamroll Marquez at 140 IMO.

I also forgot Margarito is in the equation, but that's only if he can get licensed in the U.S.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Yeah, Pac's camp has said that, but they go back & forth, probably mostly just to shake the negotiations with Floyd. Pac has said multiple times that it's over. However, there are a lot of Pac's fans who do want him to silence Marquez. Pac may have lost the striking battle in their last fight (that fight was at super featherweight and he already said before the fight it was his last time because he's struggling to cut), but he won't be tired from cutting weight if they meet at 140. Pac would steamroll Marquez at 140 IMO.

I also forgot Margarito is in the equation, but that's only if he can get licensed in the U.S.
Of course they go back and forth, it's crazy, lol. That's basically why everything that you hear needs double and triple checking, and also thought that comes from outside the box when discussing things that fighters like Floyd and Manny say. Just like with that interview where Floyd said he may take time off, if anybody really buys into that at face value they are nuts. The only way that is true is if negotiations with Pacquiao have fallen thorough, or there is some serious personal issue we don't know about yet. Otherwise, it's just talk that is meant to divert away from that line of questioning at the time.

I agree that Pac would steamroll Marquez at 140, and Marquez would take the payday in a heartbeat, but Pac would suffer some criticism for the timing of that decision, especially if he somehow lost the fight. Marquez is pretty much spent, and if he manages to beat Juan Diaz in their rematch, I think he will run into another brick wall if he goes after Amir Khan or Tim Bradley. Marquez waited to long to try and move up in weight, and even then he was only 143. Everybody crapped on Mayweather for weighing 146 against JMM, but the fight was sanctioned by the commission at 147. The little "pay-per-pound weight clause" was something added by the Maweather side in eleventh hour of negotiations in lieu of making the fight a catchweight fight on paper, because Floyd made it clear to GBP and JMM that he was fighting at 147 when they first offered the him fight after coming off his layoff. Why drop back down after almost 5 years for a fight you know you are likely going to dominate anyway? In Pac's case it would be, why drop back down at all to fight a guy who you've already beaten twice? A third Marquez fight would definitely draw well, but so would the Cotto rematch, and just about any fight with Pac's name on it at this point. Also, Bob Arum would much rather keep the money in-house by negotiating a Cotto re-match than having to work with GBP any more than he has too, in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Yeah, that's a good point. Arum would make so much cash in that fight, and it would be very easy to make. My personal opinion is that plan B should be to go after Cotto and go for the 8th world title. Cotto would be tougher to beat at the heavier weight class. I still think Pac would take him, but not as easily.

I really could care less about Marquez and Pac, except that I'm tired of all the idiots on the message boards (and Marquez) claiming that Marquez won the first 2 fights.